Platinum LED Headlamps - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Platinum LED Headlamps in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Give me a couple of days and I will provide an answer....I am still trying to get my taxes done....but ...
    WaterKing is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade EXT and 2012 Volt

Re: Platinum LED Headlamps

Give me a couple of days and I will provide an answer....I am still trying to get my taxes done....but it looks somewhat the same as the wiring I had to work with. It is easy to energize Low beams with the DLR relay on a HID vehicle. What is not easy is to control low beam and DLR between two mismatching logic processes as shown in the two provided diagrams. I still need the one LOGIC answer to provide an accurate answer to the issue. I would prefer a HID (non Modified) person respond...does your DLR lights stay on all the time when the ignition is activated during daylight conditions? Its a logic answer I need for 2012 model (the one being discussed here, but not my 2007) so that I can accurately determine the BCM response to conditions presented to it.

soulsea is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014.5 Range Rover V8 SC

On the stock HID setup the DRL comes on during the day when Drive is engaged, not when the vehicle is started, so it's not on all the time. Can't remember if it comes on when Reverse is engaged, maybe someone can test that out and let us know. Putting it in drive is also how my low beams come on right now as drl.

Thanks for looking into it WK, I really appreciate it.

zach2011 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade Luxury w/Full Platinum Exterior

WaterKing, my DRL only comes on when shifting out of park. I have a 2010 so I'm assuming it should be the same for 2012 as I see no reason for GM to change wiring between those two years.

I found the left headlight for $530 so just waiting for a deal on the right side then I should be good to go. Also just bought Platinum wheels and front fascia assembly, which I did on my previous Escalade thanks to some more help from WK.

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

I have several platinums and the DRL come on in drive or reverse, as said as you shift out of park.

Every 2007+ Escalade and Tahoe we have owned plus my dad's 2010 Sierra has enabled DRL when shifting out of park so I think they are all the same.

Guys, I'm close to the end of my rope with these lamps.

Soon after I first had these installed a couple of weeks ago I noticed the driver's side lamp pointing to the ground. When I went to adjust it it wouldn't go up and down no matter which way I turned it. Obviously the adjustment rod had come off from its hinge inside the headlight. I called the dealership where I purchased them from and they were very nice and fedexed me a replacement driver's side lamp trusting that I would send the the broken one once I did the swap.

I did do the swap last Saturday, everything went great, I adjusted it properly and went out that night to take the output pics I posted earlier in this thread.

Today I drive into an indoor parking lot and guess what, my damn driver's side lamp is once more pointing to the ground, and once again the adjustment rod has no affect on it.

Wtf, what are the odds of two of the same high end part failing twice in a week?

I've never even heard of this being a common issue with Platinum headlamps. And it's not like I'm doing anything to them other than bolting them on the vehicle and driving. Plus the passenger side has been fine from day one.

This whole thing is doing my head in and I'm close to giving up on it and go back to my HIDs.

Ugh!

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by soulsea View Post
    Guys, I'm close to the end of my rope with these lamps.

Soon after I first had these installed a couple of weeks ago I noticed the driver's side lamp pointing to the ground. When I went to adjust it it wouldn't go up and down no matter which way I turned it. Obviously the adjustment rod had come off from its hinge inside the headlight. I called the dealership where I purchased them from and they were very nice and fedexed me a replacement driver's side lamp trusting that I would send the the broken one once I did the swap.

I did do the swap last Saturday, everything went great, I adjusted it properly and went out that night to take the output pics I posted earlier in this thread.

Today I drive into an indoor parking lot and guess what, my damn driver's side lamp is once more pointing to the ground, and once again the adjustment rod has no affect on it.

Wtf, what are the odds of two of the same high end part failing twice in a week?

I've never even heard of this being a common issue with Platinum headlamps. And it's not like I'm doing anything to them other than bolting them on the vehicle and driving. Plus the passenger side has been fine from day one.

This whole thing is doing my head in and I'm close to giving up on it and go back to my HIDs.

Ugh!
    It's not common, I drive on dirt and ice at my home in NY and my lights have never moved after adjustment, got to be something in the mounting on that side causing the problem

H there's nothing that I can think of that would have a different affect on the HID adjustment rod and the LED one. As you know it's basically plug in the harness, three bolts onto the metal frame and done. There really aren't that many variables there right? What mounting element can I be missing?

And now I got it to work again.

I turned the rod all the way in the direction that makes the lamp point down and something inside the housing clicked, and then it adjusted up after that.

But I don't want to keep doing this, so wth could be making that one side keep coming unhinged?

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

is there some sort of power on self test that they do where they move the full range of motion ??

i wonder if it is coming unhinged during that somehow
    gotta be something to do with your truck not having the TQ4 vs a truck that does have it ... i would think
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Hi Chris,

No the LED lamps just like the HID ones are manual only, there is no mechanism via which any checks or adjustments are made on either version of the truck at startup. The only known difference is the 'bulb out' feature being existent on the LED lamps and not the HID ones. I've thought about it over and over again and cannot figure out why there would be a difference, much less why it's only happening on one side only. In fact, if this was an RPO variation issue, obviously both sides would suffer the same fate no?

188742647_zps9557793c.gif

This is the simple way that can work but requires some cutting of the wires in the harness plugs under the fuse box.. It appears to me that the technician in soulsea's case just jumpered the BCM control wires to the DRL and HDLP relays together (X4 - H4 and K2) which will work but no functioning DLR. Using a diode (I think I used a Radio Shack NTE5137A because i had it lying around but a 1N1504 should work (around $2)). Functionally the diode allows the BCM DLR circuitry of the HID vehicle (X4/23 on the BCM) to also energize the HDLP relay. It also PREVENTS the BCM headlight control circuit (X5/23) from energizing the DLR relay when only headlights are desired. When the additional wire which originates at X4/23 is run to the front LED harness it provides the ground necessary to the resistor pack to reduce the light output. In this situation the DLR relay of the HID vehicle is effectively disabled. Since there is NO CORRESPONDING wire or pin in the HID vehicle I think I removed one of the non used pins, spliced it to the new wire and placed it in the plug to match up with pin s of the front harness. This is not exactly the way I did it because I needed to be able to swap back and forth.

188742659_zps075ccf8a.gif

This is the additional relay (NTE R51-5D40-12f) I added which I mounted on the front radiator support. Sorry for the crappy rendition of it. This allows the DLR relay of the hid vehicle to remain fully functional...it simply energizes the relay which provides the ground to the front LED harness. I originally had another switched ground wire run from the new relay back to the fuze box to the HDLP relay to energize it when the added relay was energized but I had to use a diode in it to prevent the BCM from backfeeding a ground to the Front LED Harness when normal headlights were called for. Eventually I just used the diode method in the first diagram to energize the HDLP relay because it was easier. Now I can swap fronts and all I have to do is remove the relay, disconnect the diode and the HID front can be installed without any further changes. Hope this helps. But do check the temperature sensor wiring...some vehicles have two in front and some have one (later models). If I remember correctly one is for the mirror temp and one is for air conditioning in the earlier vehicles. X103 J and K of the LED harness had no corresponding wiring in the 2007 and 2008 HID Exts I had. Led vehicles have No DLR relay. I also did it this way because noone could/would tell me how the system worked and I wanted to be sure that the control circuit logic functionality of the BCM was maintained as a HID vehicle in case I had to take it to a dealer.

I'm a bit confused. So your two posts are two corresponding steps right? Or are they two different approaches?

The first diagram is a complete solution. The second picture is additional relay I added so that I could retain use of DLR relay in HID vehicle. The relay is not necessary but it does retain full functionality of the DLR relay which the first diagram does not. The first diagram mirrors the wiring of a LED vehicle except for the addition of the diode. LED vehicle BCM's are programmed differently...they energize the HDLP relay via X5-23 and apply a ground directly to the resistor pack in the front harness via a direct path from X4-23 to pin S when DLR is ordered and remove the ground when regular headlights are called for. HID vehicles are only programmed to energize the DLR relay via X4-23 so the diode is a quick way to also energize the HDLP relay which IS required when using LED. So no BCM programming is required on the HID vehicle. I would put a note in zip lock baggy taped to the inside cover of the fuse box saying what changes were made....Another option in the first diagram rather than cutting the wire to the DLR relay of the HID vehicle is to simply remove the DLR relay (and even its fuse) from the fuse box since it serves no useful purpose anymore. Diagram 2 is the addition I made to retain use of the DLR relay so I could swap back and forth while I tested things out. You have to remember that this was done in 2009 when little was known. If I was to do one today, I would do the first one by installing the wire and diode and just remove the DLR relay and corresponding fuse. The second diagram is for those people who are paranoid about maintaining the original functionality of the HID vehicle. I was also working with a 2007 and 2008 EXT's which I surprisingly discovered had different wiring in both the fuse box and BCM. That is why I needed the wiring diagrams for soulsea's situation...... This might not work for other years/models but I have provided enough theoretical information that anyone with reasonable electrical skills could apply the same principals to a slightly different wiring situation.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.