Platinum LED Headlamps - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Platinum LED Headlamps in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Thanks zach ... and yes I have the same username on TYF and HIDPlanet....
    soulsea is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014.5 Range Rover V8 SC

Re: Platinum LED Headlamps

Thanks zach ... and yes I have the same username on TYF and HIDPlanet.

SpyShops NY is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Escalade, 2004 CTS, 2003 ESV, Now 2008 Escalade

Please let me know what is involved I want to do it ASAP. If you had the dealer do it please just tell me what to tell them to do and I am on it

WaterKing is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade EXT and 2012 Volt

soulsea, Its hard to judge from the pictures but it looks like the lower intensity of Low Beams (the DLR mode) is OK. When the low beams are manually energized in the daytime they should noticeably brighten (i.e. No DLR). I would be curious to find out if the 2009 and up had the same differences between Platinum/Regular headlight/DLR circuitry as I encountered in the 2007/2008. To fix the No Low beam during the daylight using the manual light switch and no way to shut off DLR (reduced intensity Low Beam) during the day, I eventually did put a diode connection in the fuze box between the Low Beam Relay and the DLR relay that electrically shunted the DLR relay from working whenever the Low Beam Relay was energized by the BCM. This caused the relay I had installed in the front harness to deenergize and remove the ground from the LED resistor pack. Actually it was a double diode situation....one between the BCM and Low beam relay (To stop feedback) and the other between DLR and Low Beam Relay....They both hide under the fuze box. I did have to drill drainage holes in the sections that had the diodes in them because sometimes those squares under the fuze box can get filled with water (read that as washing out engine compartment with sprayer). I haven't found my actual wiring change documentation I made yet but when I do I will post it here for earlier owners.

Actually WK, I'm not sure how they were wired (waiting on a 'how to' from the tech) but although I get the DRL function, I get it as purely a low beam signal and not a reduced voltage low beam signal. So during the day when I switch from DRL to low beam manually I get no change in intensity.

That's an OK situation but not ideal because the LED has a fan in it which is more likely to run in the daylight when full intensity is used, prematurely wearing it out. I suggest you do a test to ensure you really are getting full low beams during DLR and at night instead of reduced intensity low beam (DLR) during both night and day. It is hard to tell which is which during the day. This requires a little work on your part but it is better to be sure.

1) remove the tape around the resistor pack (left of radiator, close to frame)
    2) AT NIGHT with the headlights on LOW BEAM ....i.e. using manual light switch...remove the resistor pack from its connector.
    a. If the headlights brighten you are ALWAYS using reduced Low Beam (DLR) and have no real Low Beam capability
    b. If the headlights remain the same brightness it probably is Full Low Beam but you should do one more test.
    1. Move the headlight switch to the auto mode, put a strong light shining on the light sensor in the middle of the dash by the windshield, after a few seconds the interior dash lights should brighten and the Low beams should turn off. If the dash lights brighten but the Low Beams do not turn off, you are wired for Low beams on WHENEVER the ignition is on....not good. If that is true try manually shutting off the headlights with the manual light switch...they should turn off but might not if if wired for on whenever ign is on, even though you are using the manual light switch this is BCM controlled...you are simply telling the BCM what you want. This situation should be corrected for the longevity of the lights.
    2. If the Low Beams did turn off, reattach the resistor pack to its connector.....and the Low beams should come back on (working properly this would be reduced output low beam or DLR) . It is very hard to actually see the difference between reduced output and Full low beam during the day...it is not like incandescent/hid which change temperature slightly under different voltages...The color temperature remains the same...you will only notice the increased range between full Low Beams and DLR....and usually that is only noticeable at night.

Doing this will tell you what your true situation is and what if anything should be done. There was a simple solution I found while working on mine that I did not use because it would have created an impossible to fix situation for a dealership and I wanted to leave my vehicle wiring intact or easily restored to factory wiring. If I had the wiring diagrams for your year Platinum and Hid models that included the fuze box/plugs, front harnesses (might not need if headlights circuit shows differences), and headlight circuitry, I could provide the simpler fix needed in the fuse box, but a sealed note with the changes made should be put in the fuse box to prevent possible future repairman nightmares when they don't get what they expect when testing. It also depends on whether the later models activate DLR at all times the ignition is on when the light sensor indicates it is daytime (BCM controlled). I would definitely need to know the answer to that. Even so, a correct working DLR for LEDst would still be only a 90% functionality solution because I never went through the headlight out warning circuitry in the Platinum's vs Hids....These circuits are a mismatch at the front harness so do not function and I never bothered to research to see if they could be incorporated.

Well I'm pretty sure that it's the brighter beam being used as drl rather than low intensity drl being used as a low beam. First of all having driven with them at night with no ambient lights around, they illuminate the road with almost (but nor quite) the same intensity as my HID lights. Plus I can see the proper beam pattern projected against walls, and finally I can actually see my light pattern on the back of cars in front of me during the day, which would never happen with drls. So I'm confident we can cross the idea that I'm using my drl beam as a low beam off the table.

I would love your help in figuring out how to get a proper reduced voltage drl signal out of my harness and into my lamps, I could then pass it on to the tech to try it out. I actually have an alldatadiy account for my truck, but I've been unable to locate the appropriate schematic. What is the sequence of links I should be pressing to get it to resolve to the diagram you'd need?

zach2011 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade Luxury w/Full Platinum Exterior

Hey guys, I found out that the body control modules (BCM) between Platinum and non-Platinum are the same, and I am pretty sure even between a 2007 and a 2013. Based on that info, I believe that the technicians should be able to program the RPO code for the Platinum LED headlamps (code T4Q) to a standard Escalade's current BCM.

What is your opinion on that? If one were to have the proper RPO code programmed, that *should* solve the DRL issue, correct?

Either the RPO code can easily be added to the car's BCM without changing the VIN...or the BCM has to be programmed to a Platinum VIN which will give it the T4Q code it needs. If so, the PCM will also have to be programmed to the Platinum VIN. Soulsea it seems your technician is a lot more skilled than the ones I have here, do you think you could ask him about how to add an RPO code to a VIN? Or could you give me your dealer info so I can call and ask?

If we can figure out how to add the RPO code then our trucks existing BCMs will be able to send the DRL signal to the headlamps...not that you two really need it now that you have a wiring solution, but it would be awesome to know for future installs. I will do this upgrade if I can find out what it takes to add the RPO code to my BCM.

Another question I have, it's not a big deal - does the LED light pipe on the side work after the install? Before you wire up the DRL and all.

I believe so, during the install the tech called me and said everything was working as it should but for the DRL.
    It's part of the parking light signal along with the amber side leds ... that's how I know the difference tween my drl signal and low beams, if the pipe and side leds are lit it's low beam time.

Ah I see. So it is exactly like the CTS. Awesome, so even if I did nothing but swap the lights and harness myself I would only lose DRL. Which I want but if I have to wire it myself I can't do that. I would rather turn the low beams on when I felt like having a DRL on. Lol.

I found out from Chris at Rippy some good news: You can add RPO codes to a VIN (and therefore new options to the BCM) without having to program a totally different VIN to the SUV. The bad news is that it is up to GM whether or not that RPO code gets added. They can say no. If so, the only way to get the DRL working factory-style is to wire it up like you two did, or program a new VIN to your PCM and BCM. Which is not recommended and probably not allowed.

SO I'm trying to find out now if GM would add the T4Q option/code to a non-LED-equipped Escalade. They might if they are informed that the vehicle has all the correct parts installed and just needs that option to gain full functionality.

If they don't I guess I will wait for your tech's writeup!

It is true that the actual BCM's are the same between TQ4 (Platinum) and Z75 (Hid) but the programing and wire pin outs are different between them. And the fuse boxes are Different in wiring. I don't think GM would allow a change in RPO if it was not available during that year (in my case, EXT's never had TQ4) and model. I will ask again....Someone send me the wiring diagrams via PM and I will reply with the correct wiring changes needed for that model year and front harness to have functional DLR on LED equipped HID vehicles. It is just too time consuming and hard for me to do all the research to get the appropriate wiring diagrams for someone Else's year/model/front harness situation. Programming a Non Platinum BCM to the Platinum version is NOT wise because of the wiring differences which could cause unintentional additional problems and there are many other differences some of which only concern the wheels/shocks factory installed, heated cupholders, etc. It's like adding a VCIM with Bluetooth to an early Non bluetooth Escalade.....the codes are different in the radio which almost always results in functional bluetooth but no Onstar functionality and even though GM could EASILY rectify this in pre 2009's, they refuse to do so, probably for good reason because if the modified Onstar failed to notify during an accident they would be sued! I will say again....The fuse boxes are DIFFERENT, the wiring to the BCM is DIFFERENT, and the front Harness/Plug to the fuse box is DIFFERENT between TQ4 (Platinum) and Z75 (HID) vehicles. Send me your wiring diagrams and I will try to help. P.S. I also need to know if your HID vehicle has DLR on at all times during daylight hours and if DLR can be turned off using the manual headlight switch.....This is a logic question I need answered to address BCM control of DLR which I think may vary between years/models. I need the Z75 and TQ4 Diagrams for the vehicle in question and the TQ4 diagrams for the front harness you have which may not be the same year or export/import version...this MUST match the part number of the front harness you ACTUALLY have. By this time, EVERYBODY should understand that a TQ4 (LED) front harness is REQUIRED to make this change...unfortunately there are several different versions of them which is why I need the wiring of the version you have.

WK, from my 2012 Escalade alldatadiy account I pulled this schematic called:

Headlights/Daytime Running Lights (DRL) Schematics

Low Beam and Daytime Running Lamps (Z75 with T4Q)

Is this what you are looking for?

For the record, i still have yet to receive this report of how the tech wired mine, but two things to note:

1. My DRL is 100% a low beam signal
    2. I tried pulling for designated DRL fuses (I think number 31 and 33) and neither killed the DRL as it is now.

So whatever the tech did, he seems to have somehow tapped into the low beam signal and gets it to turn on when the DRL is supposed to come on, and pulling the DRL fuses has no affect at all.

Ideally I would love to have my DRL work as it is supposed to with the reduced voltage/intensity, and it really bothers me that I have no way to kill it through pulling a fuse.

Hemmissey is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 Cadillac Escalade
    Soulsea, thanks for giving us so much info!! :-)

Oh and this is a diagram called:

Headlights/Daytime Running Lights (DRL) Schematics

Low Beam and Daytime Running Lamps (Z75 without T4Q)

I include it in case it is the diagram for my stock HID setup for comparison.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Hemmissey View Post
    Soulsea, thanks for giving us so much info!! :-)
    You're very welcome ... I'd really like for the whole thing to work right.

Edit: Deleted, no helpful response given.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.