Platinum LED Headlamps - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Platinum LED Headlamps in Cadillac Escalade Forums; And I would NOT recommend changing the BCM, I have already and the change causes additional programming problems....There are subtle ...
    WaterKing is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade EXT and 2012 Volt

Re: Platinum LED Headlamps

And I would NOT recommend changing the BCM, I have already and the change causes additional programming problems....There are subtle changes in the wiring going to the BCMs that is different between Platinum/non Platinum models that would be required as well if you were trying to achieve Platinum functionality in a non Platinum platform. Can you envision nightmare...i.e. FREDDY wiring your vehicle! One look at the differences in the plug wiring pin outs between Platinum/Non Platinum at the BCM for the same year would make you sell your non Platinum and buy a Platinum model if you wanted those capabilities. I know because I studied the differences for the Magnetic Shock System and LED lights both of which were not available on a 2007/2008 EXT. IMHO, I would have been better off selling the 2007 and buying a 2009 EXT which adds easy Bluetooth and greater interchange compatibility (I think 2010 lost Rain Sense wipers which I consider important) .

As far as LED lighting goes other than the really cool look, IMHO the pattern of lighting is more even and consistent than the HIDs, doesn't cause as much discomfort (or flashing of others lights thinking you are on brights) for other drivers, but does not put out as much lumens as the HIDs. A deer got my front last year and in the ensuing insurance claim found out they would only pay for Originally equipped HIDs and not the LEDs because that is the way the vehicle was manufactured. I would have to had noted the modification and paid extra for the insurance to cover the LEDs.

One last comment....Even though LEDs should use less current/wattage, in this situation they do NOT use less than the HIDs. Sorta like using LED replacements for directionals, you land up putting in a ballast resistor so the sensing equipment is not thrown out of wack to hyperflash hence no real power savings over the incandescent. They should make a change to the sensing circuitry instead so the power saving could be actually realized when going to LED vs incandescent.

soulsea is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014.5 Range Rover V8 SC

Egads, I would never swap a BCM on one of these SUVs.

As stated in my previous post, I'm even apprehensive about the unintended consequences of swapping fuse boxes.

zach2011 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade Luxury w/Full Platinum Exterior

WaterKing, how difficult was swapping the front harness assembly required for the LED headlights?

onetime 3930 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade

I may be interested in picking up your old headlights if and when you get these swapped. I had a truck throw a huge rock into my drivers side light last weekend. Fighting with the dealer now about warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by onetime 3930 View Post
    I may be interested in picking up your old headlights if and when you get these swapped. I had a truck throw a huge rock into my drivers side light last weekend. Fighting with the dealer now about warranty.
    I should know by tomorrow if the swap has been successful (everything has come to a halt today due to a local storm).
    I will PM you to let you know if my HID headlamps are available.

WaterKing is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade EXT and 2012 Volt

There is no difficulty whatsoever to swapping the front harness. In most cases the LEDs will work immediately. The only issues come from whether the harness has all the temperature sensor connections (2007/2008 have two in front of the radiator and 2009 and later (I think) have only one) and they go to the same pins as the original. There are very few wires and they can be confirmed (recommend this) when both are out prior to installation of the new LED one. The real issue is the DLR implementation in the fuse box which is totally different between HID/LED models. On HIDs there is a separate DLR light while LEDs use diminished Low Beams. This requires a wiring change on the source vehicle to energize the Low Beam relay at all times the vehicle is on and additional wiring to the resistor pack in the LED front harness. This is necessary so that IF you desire to run the regular low beams during daylight you CAN......i.e. it is entirely possibly that running the regular low beams would ONLY result in reduced output DLR even at night because the logic used is OPPOSITE the method used for HIDs/DLR.....They apply power....LEDs provide grounds. My recommendation remains....Leave the source vehicle wiring, programming, and control alone. Make any changes you need for sensors in the front LED harness to match the HID harness even if you have to take wires from the old HID harness and add them to the LED harness (which I had to do)...Make sure that portion is pin out the same...this is actually much easier than it sounds like. Logically, in my case for the 2007 the DLR relay is energized and applies power the DLR light.....I take this output from the DLR relay and jumped it to the Low Beam relay so that everytime the DLR is called for from the BCM it also energizes the Low Beam relay which of course energizes the LOW Beams LED when the LED harness is attached. Great but now the problem....it is at full power! If that is fine with you that is all that is needed (one Caveat though....you can never turn off the Low Beams with the ignition on..not even with the light switch. DLR works opposite on LED vehicles...it provides a ground to the resistor pack in the LED wiring harness vs Hid applying power to a separate light. These connections and logic do NOT match. It would seem easy to add a relay in the front harness that when energized by the power from the DLR relay of the HID vehicle it would provide ground to the LED front resistor pack reducing it to DLR intensity but that doesn't work BECAUSE on the HID vehicle the DLR relay is also energized when LOW Beams are energized so that means that you could NEVER get full low beam power ONLY DLR. I figured it out before but right now I have some other pressing business that I must take care of....I am just saying this to show you it is not as easy as it might seem. I will get back later today with the solution however I cannot emphasize enough that what works for me might now work for you because of wiring changes possible through the years and which front LED harness is used....Provide those and I can tell you. My ALLDATA only covers 2007 and 2008. Till later.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by onetime 3930 View Post
    Onetime, I just wanted to jump in this thread quickly to let you know I'm available if you would like Customer Service to step in and follow up with your dealership at any point. Please email me at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com for further assistance.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

onetime 3930 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Onetime, I just wanted to jump in this thread quickly to let you know I'm available if you would like Customer Service to step in and follow up with your dealership at any point.
    Thanks for this Katie, but I'm not sure what you can do for me by stepping in to follow up. I believe the light was defective (ie., it shouldn't have been broken so easily by impact with a rock) and they don't seem to agree. Going to go talk to the GM of the dealership today. He is a friend and customer of mine, so I should at least have a chance. Where I live rocks cause serious damage to vehicles very often. So much so that windshield premiums are not worth carrying on your vehicle.

Anyway, I will keep you posted. Don't want to hijack this thread, so PM me if you like.

Regards.

So I just got a call back from my service rep ... ladies and gentlemen ...

SUCCESS!!!

I'm going to go pick her up around 5pm. I asked as a favor for the tech to write down what he did that way I can share it with you guys, and he said he would do his best to find time to do it.

A special thanks to WaterKing, apparently his information was of great assistance to the tech in his quest to figure it out.

moekhansa is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by soulsea
    So I just got a call back from my service rep ... ladies and gentlemen ...

SUCCESS!!!

I'm going to go pick her up around 5pm. I asked as a favor for the tech to write down what he did that way I can share it with you guys, and he said he would do his best to find time to do it.

A special thanks to WaterKing, apparently his information was of great assistance to the tech in his quest to figure it out.
    Hey if you dont mind me asking how much did the dealer charge you. I just bought some headlights and would like to get them installed.

That is awesome!! Would love to know as well. I have a feeling mine won't do it for me but I can always ask...whenever I get ahold of some headlights that is. I did find a passenger side LED headlight a couple days ago on eBay, it sold for $200 but had broken tabs. The seller told me it probably could not be mounted so I did not bid.

Anyways looking forward to the new info and some pics if you don't mind!!

36dbldz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    So now you have them and look great, is it worth the headache just to have them?

It was for me.

Now on to the next superfluous mod.

----------

Btw, I spoke to the tech and he took some pics during the process. He's also putting together a little 'how to' which wil probably be ready next week. I'll post it as soon as I get it. On a side note, when I was talking to him earlier today I found out that he's actually a member here, has been for years but had forgotten about it. I won't mention his username but hopefully he'll come by this thread.

As far as what it cost to have the dealer do the instal, I feel somewhat apprehensive about sharing this fact. First of all mine was a different case because days were spent trying to figure it out, if they had charged me by the hour it would have cost more than the lamps. They didn't of course, but that's not to say it was cheap. I'm actually grateful that they took it on an did it, because most GM dealers I know will not touch a custom modification like this one. My suggestion would be this: Once I provide an outline of what is involved, take it to you dealership and see if they will do it and for how much, and if it's too much, hopefully you'll have enough info to do it yourself.

Cheers!

That looks AMAZING. Btw, are you on the Tahoe/Yukon forum?? I used to post there a LOT when I had my 08 Tahoe and I think I remember seeing something about you getting a '12 Premium. If not you it's someone who has the exact same car in a very similar driveway.

I've considered the Premium look on my Luxury but I found a couple pics of the galaxy gray Premium and it doesn't look too great. I think black or black ice pulls it off so well. I ordered a Platinum grille for mine because I found one for $130, now to wait for the other parts to show up online.

Nice job soulsea, very anxiously awaiting this write up from your tech.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.