Platinum LED Headlamps - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Platinum LED Headlamps in Cadillac Escalade Forums; All n all do you think it's worth the trouble?...
    36dbldz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade
    All n all do you think it's worth the trouble?

soulsea is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2014.5 Range Rover V8 SC

Re: Platinum LED Headlamps

Probably not worth all the expense and trouble to most folks ... but I'm a light nerd and I enjoy the process of learning how to make things work. Plus I love the way these lamps look combined with the premium bumper.

Hopefully the tech will make it all work.

36dbldz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade
    You are right in that about your passion for lights. I agree that the do look great, if there was some sort of adapter would make it almost worth it ( for me that is)

I think if someone has the knowhow and time, an adaptor is the way to go.

I say this because even with a harness swap, apparently something has to be fabricated anyway to make the DRLs work. So if that's the case, might as well fabricate something that negates the need to swap harnesses.

Sad panda ...

They still haven't figured it out.

I'm giving them one more day to do so before I pull the plug on the whole thing.

cadmanchris is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS,2007 STS V8
    Sorry Serge,

I have so much going on right now that I didn't have time to pull the schematics.

Of course Chris ... there's no need to apologize, I know you're super busy.

zach2011 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade Luxury w/Full Platinum Exterior

I believe you just need to do what WaterKing did to his 2007. He changed the harness to the Platinum harness and had the same (non-DRL) results as you, and this answer makes sense. You need to utilize the DRL signal your car sends as it needs a new BCM if you want the DRLs to work with no extra wiring added. Without that, and maybe a new fuse box, your vehicle will still send an incorrect type of DRL signal not compatible with the new harness. So in theory, you must make your new harness compatible with your old DRL signal.

This is done by linking the low beams to the DRL, and installing a relay that grounds the low beam to reduce the intensity of the LEDs when the DRLs are activated by your car.

WaterKing's post:

Quote Originally Posted by WaterKing
    Finally got it done. Now have DLR during the day but the solution wasn't pretty. Nobody provided any feedback on their harness so this pertains to only the harness I have installed in my 2007 EXT. Basically, the 2009
    TQ4 (Led platinum) does not use the DLR relay in the fuse box, instead it energizes the low beam headlights and then provides a ground to a resistor pack taped up in the front harness (BTW, in the 2007 harness the DLR wire is about 30 FT long, it is just folded over many times in the harness) to increase the resistance to the led to reduce light. I wanted to make minimum wiring changes to my major harnesses so I installed a relay that energizes the Low beam relay (by providing a ground) when the 2007 DLR relay is energized. I also ran an additional wire to the fuse box DLR relay energizing point (by providing ground) that goes to the new front harness's resistor pack. I could have done it easier with a diode but when they fail they are really hard to find, as it is I can remove the relay and the wiring is essentially stock although still mismatched. Now when DLR is ON according to the 2007 wiring...it will energize the low beam headlight relay and provide a ground to the resistor pack via the BCM thereby reducing the light output. If the low beam headlights are turned on the during the day the programming inside the BCM turns off the DLR (removes ground) which in my case removes the ground from the resistor pack restoring full light output. Using the relay and retaining the 2007 DLR relay function also allowed me to run additional lights (fog light LED strip) that energize with the DLR. Wired it wrong several times because information is hard to get. Have no room in my picture folder to provide additional pictures. Many thanks to peso611 who was kind enough to tell me what lights and intensity I should expect during the different conditions on a Platinum model so I could confirm proper operation.
    soulsea and soulsea like this.

Thank you so very much zach ... I'm going to print this and email it to my service rep to pass it along to the tech in the morning.

Would you be kind enough to link the original thread please?
    I'd been looking but was unable to locate it.

Sure. Here is the link:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...uring-day.html

Let me know how it goes. I am purchasing a 2010 soon and want to do this. I'm not very good with wiring though, so do you mind seeing if your tech would document the steps??

I will do my best zach ... the upshot for you if I fail is that you might be able to buy a set of LED headlamps at a very good price for me.

Thanks again.

Awesome! Hopefully your tech can do this and let you know how he did it. Even though WaterKing's post is very informative, it would be great to know what wires went where and all. It would help everyone interested in doing this and a sticky could be made with the instructions.

Keep us updated!

mycaddi408 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade Lux Edition

What if you changed the BCM to one from a platinum and used the platinum wire harness??? Wouldn't that do the trick??

WaterKing is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade EXT and 2012 Volt

In response to a PM from soulsea I reviewed this thread...Unfortunately I do not have access to 2010-2012 wiring. My original conversion was based on 2007 and 2008 EXTs which I have access to the wiring for. As some have discovered the LED front harness is absolutely REQUIRED to do this conversion. But there are at least two versions of these front LED wiring harnesses that I know of and they have different wiring arrangements from each other concerning OTHER sensors. There may even be more variances depending on year and Export/Domestic. But, I really doubt GM made any significant changes to the implementation method in the later models which would mean that the DLR functionality is totally different between LED and Hid models. This would also mean that the fuse box and plug wiring between the two types would be different resulting in a mismatch. I think also that the LED models add the function of headlight out notification via BCM which the HID models (I think) do not have. In order to PROPERLY work around this situation without changes to the HID wiring source vehicle requires three things: 1) The wiring diagram for the HID vehicle and YEAR (original baseline). 2) The wiring diagram for the LED vehicle of the same year. 3) The wiring diagram of the front (LED) harness if it is not the one specified FOR THAT YEAR, MODEL and Export/Domestic. If you check, I am certain that you will find the part number for the LED equipped fuse box is a different number from the HID vehicles. Once those wiring diagrams are analyzed and the differences noted appropriate changes can be figured out. I will try to find my notes on the 2007 and see what the actual issues were but each year can be different (2007 and 2008 were definitely different) because of fuse box and which front harness is being used. Best case scenario is your year model had the LED option available and you have the appropriate front harness for that model. Since you started with a HID wired BCM and Fuse box you may lose the headlight out function of the LED model but all else should be achievable with APPROPRIATE wiring changes and NO BCM programming. My gut feeling is that the fuse box is the key i.e. replace the HID fuse box for the same year LED fuse box and everything would work as designed but I can not confirm this and of course the 2007/2008 EXTs did not have LED options. I rarely am online anymore and this is tax time but if someone sends me the diagrams I will try to take a look at them and provide possible solutions. As far as I remember the only issue on this conversion was the DLR circuitry and one temperature sensor using the front harness assembly I had with the 2007.
    soulsea and soulsea like this.

Hi WK,

Thank you so much for the comprehensive response. I will pass it along to the tech, who presumably has access to all the schematics, and along with the previously quoted information, hopefully he has enough to make it work.

The fuse box swap idea intrigues me tho because it sounds like it would negate the need for mcguivering the harness as per the route you chose. All the more intriguing because the LED headlamps are actually optional on my 2012 Premium. However, knowing that GM has ensured that swaps in these trucks oft have unforeseeable consequences, wouldn't using a Platinum fuse box expose me to the possibility of other stuff not working properly?

It seems to me that ultimately the best approach in this mod ideally would be an adaptor by the headlamps. If not possible then a harness swap and mod like you did. Dunno if I'm correct or if I even make sense but it almost seems like the farther one gets into the vehicle and the closer one gets to the BCM the more chances there are of affecting other features in the vehicle.

So complicated.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.