Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Electric trailer brake controller recommendation

19K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Marque 
#1 ·
I am planning to buy a trailer to haul my Corvette to/from the drag strip with my 2008 Escalade. I am looking for advice on the best electric trailer brake controller to get for my setup.

#5 ·
After researching the different brands and models, I bought and installed the Prodigy 2. I think, for the $$ it's the best out there. Easy to install and program. Works great pulling our 26' camper. I soldered all my wire connections, instead of the usual crimp method. The only glitch I had during installation was getting 12v to the controller. The factory trailer brake harness under the dash looked pretty straight forward, but I was stumped for a while, as I tried to figure out why the 12v "Hot" wire did not have 12v. Once I solved that mystery, everything worked like a charm!

#8 ·
The factory trailer brake harness under the dash looked pretty straight forward, but I was stumped for a while, as I tried to figure out why the 12v "Hot" wire did not have 12v. Once I solved that mystery, everything worked like a charm!
Was that because it was tucked folded back and tucked into a harness near the firewall and fuse block? I had a Yukon that was like that.

#6 ·
roadog1aj said:
After researching the different brands and models, I bought and installed the Prodigy 2. I think, for the $$ it's the best out there. Easy to install and program. Works great pulling our 26' camper. I soldered all my wire connections, instead of the usual crimp method. The only glitch I had during installation was getting 12v to the controller. The factory trailer brake harness under the dash looked pretty straight forward, but I was stumped for a while, as I tried to figure out why the 12v "Hot" wire did not have 12v. Once I solved that mystery, everything worked like a charm!
Good to hear

#12 · (Edited)
If you found the harness at the rear bumper and the harness under the dash you still have the under hook connection to make. On my '10 Escalade there is a red wire with the ring terminal already on crimped on taped to the harness between the inner fender and the fuse terminal block on the drivers side. Happy Hunting!

#13 ·
Under the hood, on the driver's side, you will find the large fuse block. Take the cover off, and you will see 2 threaded studs at the front of the block. (one larger silver stud, and one smaller black stud) You can attach the red & black wire to the large silver stud. You may have to get a nut and washer if there isn't one on the stud already. That should get you the power you need.

#16 ·
The smaller red wire goes to the brake controller harness below the steering column, and the bigger one goes to the positive accessory wire on the 7-pin trailer connector at the rear of the vehicle. The wires have holes on the ring terminals on the end of them by the firewall that allow each one to fit on their corresponding stud on the fuse box under the hood. If you take off the cover to the fuse box you will see one thicker stud and one thinner stud on the front edge of the fuse box. The wires go on their corresponding stud and you will probably have to supply your own nuts because I do not believe they come on the studs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.