Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2007 Escalade - install of 2011 Tahoe VCIM #22794713 - help with OnStar activation Tech 2

47K views 97 replies 33 participants last post by  petethepug 
#1 ·
I have a 2007 escalade with no bluetooth. Purchased a #22794713 VCIM with bluetooth antennae for $220. Install was a snap. Panels pop off easy (tip-raise the cup holder cover, and then grab edge and pull the whole panel up gently), center panel comes easy as well along with panel above glove compartment. You will need to unplug the connection to the three bottons on the driver side of center panel - I then simply flipped panel to rest on passenger seat. Unscrew the bolts holding the entertainment unit in place, and remove - you do not need to remove HVAc or lower component. Unplug electrical connections from back and put the entertainment console aside. VCIM is visible with two plastic connectors on either side. Lift out. I noticed that the new VCIM is missing the GPS antennae connector. I gather that new vehicles have both GPA and cell reception in a single cable; so problem #1 - no gps connection to vcim. I left that loose. Reconnected everything and bluetooth works perfectly. Onstar has red light though, when I press emergency button, I get connected, but as soon as they hear "red light' they suggest a visit to dealer.

So, I have new unit installed and blue tooth works perfectly with iPhone, but I want onstar essentially for the remote iPhone app.....

I went to dealer to flash the VCIM with my VIN etc. They were happy to try. I read online that it involves a Tech 2 connection and running "VCIM/OnStar Setup procedure" which I asked them to do.

However, they followed the bulletin for "Onstar Reconfiguration which involves TIS 2 Web Gen 4). They told me that when they entered the make and year in SPS (Sytem Programming SYstem), it would not recognize VCIM as Gen 6 was not standard on 2007 and not supported..... so end of road.

Question. Should dealer have run TIS and OnStar Activation programming event using SPS, or should we get them to just connect Tech II and run update.....

What is best way to get rid of that red light and have it flashed so onstar can migrate account to new vcim. OnStar seems happy to migrate account, but the red light concerns them..

Last Q - is the red light because the GPS antennae not connected. Do we need to but a new antennae fin with both GPS/Cell in single cable and plug that in?

See less See more
#79 · (Edited)
A little follow up. The 2011 VCIM is installed in our 09 Escalade ESV Platinum. No Tech2 Programing was performed. All is functional that was offered with the extremely enhanced OnStar service launched in 2011. I still have red light on the mirror but pretty sure this will go away when the waterlogged OEM antenna on the roof is replaced.

The fourth harness connector on the VCIM is not used. 07 08 09 & early 10 only have three harness connectors vs. 4 on 11-14. It’s likely that the wye on the BT antenna takes the place of the what GM is using the 4th harness connector for.

When using the My Cadillac App on your cell and its location find service, you can have it beamed into the Navi directly if you’re running a 12 13 14 Navi unit in your early Escalade.

Plant Car Automotive design Personal luxury car Audio equipment

Trucks with (early 2 DVD slot) Navi will have an automated voice and directions show in the DIC like in this 08 YXL Denali. One forum member inferred he had the Navi directions beamed in to his early Navi but have not seen a pic of that yet.

Speedometer Car Vehicle Light Gauge

This is a screen shot of the My Cadillac cell phone App. OnStar sees that I’m in a white 2011 Escalade ESV. The VIN they have is incorrect but all 2011 Advanced OnStar functions are available and function on my 09.

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Automotive tail & brake light

If you have a GMC or Chevy VCIM I’m not sure if you have to use the My GMC or My Chevy App to access the enhanced features on your cell. When I had OnStar on both our 08 YXL Denali and 09 Escalade simultaneously the Denali did show up on the My Cadillac App once when I entered the Denali’s user ID & PW on the My Cadillac app.

#80 ·
A little update on VCIM info. GM also made a three (antenna) connection VCIM manufactured by LG in 2010. It's a duplicate of the one manufactured by Continental (VDO) but has (or should have) all the advanced features allowing use of the OnStar phone App to start / lock / unlock, beam MapQuest directions from the App into the 11-14 SD card SuperNav and has better speech recognition.

If you notice this unit only has three harness connectors where some have four. The additional (4th) black colored female harness connector is likely what carries the BT signal vs the later 11-14 VCIM. This style VCIM does not need the WYE splitter harness previously mentioned because GM has a FAKRA style connector just for a BT antenna.

#81 ·
On a side note for those of you wondering the 07 & 08 model year Escalade “can” be upgraded to a 09-14 VCIM for BT (09) and/or BT & advanced OnStar features (10-14). The answer is yes.

I’ve also confirmed that along with upgrading the 07/08 Escalade to a later VCIM, the later model 11-14 SD card SuperNav can successfully be added and fully integrated in BOTH 07 & 08 trucks to duplicate all the features and options available on the 11-14 Escalade/EXT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#82 ·
I know this is an old thread, but I also know you are very active soooo. If I buy a stereo/nav from a 13 and wanted seamless transition, it would be best if it came with the vcim right? If it comes without the vcim, will I still get full function with my 2007 installed vcim? And if It doesnt come with the vcim, I then have to get them paired from a GM dealer? Thanks.

#83 ·
How’s it going? The later model VCIM is not needed for a seamless install to add a ‘13 Escalade SuperNav to your 07 truck. You will need to send it out to have it programmed with your VIN though.

Instead of paying ($100-$150) to have it programmed and potentially finding out it has issues, I recommend using the money slated for reprogramming on an AutoSync ($219). That will reprogram any SuperNav to your truck, as many times as you like and … on the fly to immediately verify if you new SuperNav has issues.

The Autosync unlocks the SuperNav as well as 2011+ Autosync features to work in 07-10 trucks like back up cam anytime and when you signal, DTC’s read and cleared through your DIC and a bunch more. GM dealer won’t help you with what they consider obsolete tech. Ironically ALL our VCIM will be disconnected from OnStar in 60 days due to the 2/3G system being disconnected. Your 07 VCIM will be useless unless you swap to a 2009-2014 VCIM that will at least give you the perfectly integrated BT phone service even though OnStar is abandoning their product.

Yes, get the 13/14 SuperNav, a 09-14 VCIM and an AutoSync for a seamless upgrade to 2014+ OEM plus hardware.

1) Install the AutoSync in the OBD socket first. You’ll need a house WiFi as well as a cell w/ data for the internet to be used at the same time or 2 cells with internet data to launch it the 1st time and sync it to the truck. Keep the printed directions in the truck. There’s A TON of features you’ll want to discover and be familiar with. The AutoSync has to stay plugged into the truck for most of the features to work. It may mess with the New Navi VIN programing if removed in the 1st week or so. Let it settle into your electronics.

2) Install 13/14 Supernav. Watch a YouTube video on how to remove it and replace them and swap the 07 for the 13 Navi. Go to the AutoSync menu in the DIC, select addi a new Navi to truck, press buttons and viola! Done, no charge. You now have control of your back up cam via your mirror adjustment or turn signal or both.

3) Add your 09-14 VCIM for BT last. Even though you’ll have to pull the Navi again you’ll want to be familiar with everything else before you add more icing to the cake. Keep in mind the only pairing that needs to be done is your VIN into the new SuperNav. AutoSync does that and the 09-14 VCIM upgrade will only add factory BT because GM is cutting ties to the airwaves on the OnStar communication service. The BT lives inside the VCIM and will NOT be turned off though.

#85 ·
It doesn’t have to be a matching set of VCIM and Navi from from the same truck but if you can get it that way it’ll same a lot of time.

You need the AutoSync to reprogram the Navi to your trucks VIN no matter what or have someone else do it which is a waste of $.

#86 ·
The 09-2014 OnStar module does not require programming and is plug and play. You could buy the OnStar module separate than the Supernav. I had a 2010 OnStar module from a 2010 transverse. You need to make sure that it has 3 antenna connections. Two go to the truck and the third one has a micro antenna attached to it for the Bluetooth antenna. It really sucks that OnStar is shutting down there 3g and was one of the many reasons what prompted me to get a 2018.

#90 ·
Early and late roof antenna have two or three harness wires up and into the antenna.. GM sorta took on what the Euro manufacturers did and started calling the antenna duplex, triplex and their OnStar, Telematics

GM apparently started running the BT antenna inside the VCIM internally after 09/10 and the extra wire to the roof antenna popped up at the same time. Some VCIM need the early BT antenna wyed into the harness, some don’t.

#92 ·
Found a way to access the VCIM, remove the Navi but leave its harness connectors attached at the back of the unit. It simply involved using a few bungee cords attached to the rear view mirror stem. It keeps the Navi up and out of the way so the HVAC controls can be removed for uncluttered access to the VCIM.

Unfortunately the preloved 2017 VCIM does not power up either. The pin out on the harness connector at the outboard side has changed in the Gen V VCIM.

I’ve installed the OEM 2009 BT VCIM back into the truck. Removing fully active & operational 2011 VCIM will ensure doesn’t get a kill signal from GM when the 2/3G is shut down this month.

Now it’s time to crack open the 2011 & 2017 VCIM to see what makes them tick. Maybe I can find a pin out too. Wouldn’t it be easy to move just one wire to power it up?

#93 ·
GM (of Canada) Service Bulletin 15-08-44-001J :mad:

15-08-44-001J 1..33 (nhtsa.gov)

In 2019 GM, who obviously favors Canada more than us down here in the lower 48, decided that they would offer folks and upgrade on their OnStar systems. Not just the 07-14 (NNBS) vehicles with 2/3G VCIM, we're talking all the way back to the past generation 01-06 (NBS) analog 2G trucks. Do the Canucks have better legislation on their cell service than we do?

I had read the above bulletin in the past but really didn't realize what was printed on page 17 that states VCIM part number 23233066 or 84021666 can be installed to get access to the 4G network. Those modules were made specifically for vehicles with early Navi systems and known as a generic model F VCIM.

They are not available used ... UNLESS you find one from a Canadian wrecker who has a GM vehicle who's had the service department already do the swap on. Ironically, I did find one of those donor vehicles. It's from a 2009 Tahoe Hybrid. It had RPO code UVB for the Navi System. That means it's compatible with my 2009 harness or anything 07-14 in the Escalade, I may have to have it flashed to a 2011 VIN to get all the advanced cell phone access features enabled if it works.

Fingers crossed. 🤞

#94 ·
VCIM part # 23233066 arrived from BC today. Probably won’t have time to install it until this weekend.

I couldn’t see the part numbers on the VCIM in the eBay auction. Now it’s confirmed. This part is weathered. Hopefully it’s not damaged.

#95 ·
Success!

4G OnStar / VCIM successfully installed in an 07-14 / NNBS chassis. The red light problem in the mirror is now green. OnStar successfully unlocked the truck remotely. It operates faster and lost all the glitches inherent to the 2/3G 2011+ advanced VCIM.

Here’s the caveat, this module was implanted and programmed into an 09 that doesn’t have the advanced cell phone feature for remote start, lights, horn and download map data to the 2011+ Navi system. It won’t do those features in my 09 ESV Platinum like the advanced 2011+ 2/3G VCIM did until it’s reprogramed with a 2011+ VIN.

It’s on a free 90 day trial right now. This means I’m immune from the 2/3G shut down at the moment. I’ll need to find a way to program my 2/3G 2011 VCIM data into this 4G VCIM or purchase another from a Canadian 2011-2014 Vehicle. OnStar won’t give you the advanced features on your phone unless you have a 2011+ VIN.

More News … Per OnStar:

“Why/when is OnStar discontinuing Hands-Free Calling? We routinely evaluate our services to ensure they provide the best experience for our Members. In this spirit, we decided to discontinue OnStar Hands-Free Calling in February 2022.”

All, every year; GM vehicle will lose hands free calling not just the 2/3G network. It’s all Blue Tooth / cell phone calls now.

This 4G VCIM has has two antenna / Fakra connectors so a splitter has to be used on pre 2010 trucks for the external BT antenna. The Navi isn’t unplugged. It’s resting on the dash with two bungee cords holding up it’s butt attached to the rear view mirror stem. Yes, that is a 2013 SD card Navi in an 09.

#96 ·
One last important detail. This is a used VCIM. You can not call OnStar and tell them to program it to your vehicle.

Used VCIM can be installed in other vehicles and activated as if you were the new owner of the donated VCIM it originally came out of. Hypothetically you can also obtain a free trial and subscribe to service as the said owner of the vehicle the VCIM came out of.

#97 ·
For any interested in adding BT to their 07 or 08 or keeping an active O/S account here's a link to a 4G VCIM compatible with the 07-14 Escalade. The seller doesn't state what year it came out of but if it's from a year after 2010, you'll also get access to the vehicles advanced features via the cell phone with an O/S subscription..

These are extremely hard to find as they were marketed to the Canadian market only for customers to continue to use their O/S account AFTER the 2/3G network is being shut down at the end of this month. The bottom line this is a VCIM that will minimally allow BT connectivity for early vehicles that were not equipped as well as an active O/S account that will beam Navi directions directly into your speedo display on 07-10 or directly into your Navi unit on 11-14 simply by pressing the blue O/S button and speaking the address.

If it was pulled from a 2011+ vehicle it will have access to your vehicle data and remote start via cell phone. This 4G unit also resolved an undiagnosed red light of the O/S button on my rearview mirror. This is Not my auction, just helping someone out who needs BT or O/S service in their vehicle after they shut the system down at the end of the month.

2008-2012 Buick Enclave Communication Control Unit 23233066 OEM | eBay

Nevermind, it sold as I was typing this post - It's no longer available.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.