Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Dash Cracking...has this happened to anyone?

139K views 250 replies 117 participants last post by  IronJaw 
#1 ·
My dash on my 2007 Escalade has cracked in two places over the last 6 months, one by the drivers side and one by the passengers side. Here are pictures: http://imgur.com/a/lg1Qw

Has this cracking happened to anyone else? It is such an eyesore and I'd like to fix it, I'm not sure where I can get a new dash, or part of a new dash.

Any suggestions?

#9 ·
Hello k8mp,

We're sorry to see that crack in your dashboard! If you were looking to find the necessary parts outside of a dealership, gmpartsdirect.com might be a good resource; keep us posted if you do decide to work with a dealership as we're definitely available to follow up on anything. Send us a private message with the last 8 digits of your VIN and contact information if you want us to investigate further.

Sarah (Assisting Katie), Cadillac Customer Service

#16 ·
Or maybe you could raise this complaint with some of the executives and get the dash made out of something more pliable so it doesn't crack. I really don't get how people overlook this kind of stuff when they want as much as they do for an Escalade. Cracking dash on a 4 year old vehicle of this price??? Wow. IMO you just can't keep asking those prices for that truck, build it with cheap materials (cracking dash, door handles that pull off, cheesy fake wood, etc) and not lose customers. Every manufacturer may have it's issues but a cracking dash is not one you should see on a high end truck that is 4 years old. Period.

#10 ·
I found a place that has covers that slip in place. Fortunately mine is not cracking, but if it does I will use something like this.
txdashcovers.com/20chtrsuvdac.html

Product Description

This is the primary Dash cover that fits up close to windshield area. It is a cover that installs over existing cracked original dashboard. No original parts to remove. No Special Tools or Skills needed

This is the Vent Section only. I also have the other section listed in our store

Dashboard Cap

Fits 2007-2011 Chevrolet/GMC Truck, SUV

Yukon-Tahoe-Suburban-Avalanche-Denali-Escalade-Pickups

ABS Vacuum Molded Plastic dashboard cap

To view pictures of the app. colors, Please click on the spray paint link in the navigation bar. Color of can cap will be the app. color of dash cover

These covers can also be painted to match color of interior. You must use a SEM Brand or Dupli-color branded paint that works on plastic

18-207V

#20 ·
No, the culprit here is cheap plastic. I would invite you to check out the dash of any german vehicle in this price range and check the materials they use. Hard, cheap plastic will crack when exposed to sunlight and heat. That is why you normally get a pliable material on the dash on most high end cars. You actually find that on most vehicles these days except for the cheapest ones where cost is obviously an issue. The Escalade profit margin is much greated than their less expensive vehicles and it is truely shameful what they get away with using. But as long as people buy, they will keep doing it. You will not find that kind of stuff on a Mercedes/BMW/Audi in that price range. While they may have their own issues, cheap materials isn't one of them. Using Armor all or not, your dash should withstand 15-20 years without a crack...not 4. And if it does crack in 4 years, it should be repaired for free...not have GM suggest where you can find replacement parts.
I remember when I saw the first dash crack in one of my own vehicles...it was in my '75 rabbit...when it was 18 years old.

#21 ·
This is horrible. Those cracks would drive me crazy. I have not had a cracked dash since my 1973 Pontiac Grandville. I thought that was a thing of the past...... Doesn't make sense. I have had much older cars, GM cars, with no dash cracks. My 99 Tahoe and 01 Tahoe never had this issue. It has to be the plastic. My 2001 SLS has no cracks either.....it just has the Seville dash pad warp... LOL.

#29 ·
This is what was happening on the Inifitini FX's and inifniti did the right thing after enough people complained and issued a bulletin and they swap it out. I'm very surprised Cadillac won't do the same. Sad!!
And they wonder why they lose sales to imports. If you stand behind your vehicle customers will feel safe and will continue to buy. That is why I always said there are so many employees of gm on this site, because there is no way in hell people can just ignore these issues and continue to make excuses for flat out poor quality.

#25 ·
"snarky" now there's a word I haven't heard in a while. ...

For the escalade owners out there and hell even the Tahoe / Suburban / Yukon / XL / Denali guys there should be no reason for a vehicle this new / expensive to have this issue. Clearly the stress point is too high between parts of the dash and the A pillar causing stress fractures. Design defects or manufacturer defects are in play here. GM should either pay parts and labor or one of them anyways.

#31 ·
Yes cracking dashes suck. However no other "import" demands the respect, boasts the power and looks as stunning as the escalade. I too have some complaints about the vehicle but honestly they are not big enough to stop me from purchasing future Cadillacs. I think there are more "trolls" on this thread than GM employees. I think that's why they are so quick to judge, simply because they know Cadillac will continue to sale these vehicles no matter what.

----------

Also for those of you who don't know, Hannity's main goal in life is to bash the brand. Seriously get a life man ! He doesn't own a caddy yet constantly trolls this forum.

#32 ·
It's a nice truck and I really do enjoy mine but it is not worth anywhere near what they ask when you compare the competition. Your opinions are your own and I respect that. I do not necessarily agree and think there are many trucks out there that are just as powerful or more, better looking and much better appointed. Fit and finish is shameful on the Escalade for it's price point and all you have to do is look at the paint. I'm not going to get into it that much as it gets discussed to death but a cracked dash on a 4 year old luxury vehicle is UNACCEPTABLE. Period.
I think hannity's perspective is needed. Even if you don't agree with him, he should be able to speak freely here. He did have an Escalade so that does qualify him to have an opinion but he got rid of it because of his problems with the vehicle. It's a forum, not a corporate think tank. People come to share ideas and opinions and I don't know why you are a 'troll' if you sayanything negative about the brand...especially if it's true. Isn't it more productive to get problems heard rather than just looking the other way? Seems to me, the only people who would want to do that are ones whose livelyhood depend on it or people in serious denial.
I am part of a lot of different car forums as I own or have owned many different brands of vehicles and I have NEVER been on one that has so many members so vehemently opposed to negative talk about the brand. You go on ANY other forum and owners are constantly bitching about their cars and what they hate about them and what they'd like to see changed. The comments are light and everyone gives their two cents but it doesn't get nasty and intimidating like it does here. Here you say anything and you're a 'troll' and people take Caddy bashing personal... very strange.
Why would you even care if someone bashes the brand of vehicle you drive? And how can you take that personally? Seems to me, if you get upset when someone says something bad about a cadillac or Gm in general, maybe you are the one who needs to get a life...unless you are protecting your paycheck...that's different.

#34 ·
I think it's fine to complain and point out its flaws, I've done it many times before. However some people do it constantly and not in hopes that GM fixes the problem but to stir up drama. Hannity's comments are always the same. Negative. I just don't understand why anyone who hates something so much continues to stick around. It actually reminds me of someone who goes around bashing their ex. They do it so much and convince themselves into thinking they hate them when in reality they're are infatuated with them. Lol yup that's it! Hannity has a love for cadillac that he can't admit and instead talks trash all day for attention lmao

Anywho back to topic- I work in the medical field and am in no way tied to GM but I back them up because I feel one way about the whole thing. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT DON'T BUY IT simple as that. No one forces you to buy the product. I have complaints as well many in fact, but I take the good with the bad.

#35 ·
This isnt from cheap plastic. It's from the windshield adhesive sticking from the dash to the defrost grille vent (piece that cracks) which doesnt allow the plastic to expand/contract correctly. Someone on the line wasnt paying close attention during assembly.

My 2007 EXT does not have the problem but my wifes 2007 ESV does. I removed it and found the adhesive was holding it in place. You can spend the $250 for a new piece (caddillac price) or simply super glue it back together and pop it back in. No tools required (for the grille) as it clips in. The a-pillas covers have to come out and you can use spray adhesive to attach the fabric back and remove the bubbles while they are out.

I'm *pretty sure* the escalade/tahoe/suburbam etc all use the same defroster grille...but havent been able to compare them. The sensor in the center is the DRL sensor.

#36 ·
You are probably right about the reason for it breaking. My point, however, is that the plastic that they use is cheap and brittle. If the stepped up to a better grade of more pliable material, it would not crack. There is material that they use for dashboards that you couldn't crack if you tried. The majority of the Escalade Dash is of better quality than the tahoe/yukon and therefore the problem is not as widespread as with those trucks. But I think for the few extra bucks, at this pricepoint, GM should've upped their game to make sure that a crack just does not happen.

#38 ·
I keep my dash constantly oiled like crazy to prevent the hot sun from cracking it. I was thinking about this in the morning. You have to vote with your pocket book. Whoever likes the escalade buys it whoever doesn't buys what they like. It it worth the price? Depends on what you paid for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.