Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Dash Cracking...has this happened to anyone?

139K views 250 replies 117 participants last post by  IronJaw 
#1 ·
My dash on my 2007 Escalade has cracked in two places over the last 6 months, one by the drivers side and one by the passengers side. Here are pictures: http://imgur.com/a/lg1Qw

Has this cracking happened to anyone else? It is such an eyesore and I'd like to fix it, I'm not sure where I can get a new dash, or part of a new dash.

Any suggestions?

#104 ·
Hello hrpatel17926,

I apologize that you are experiencing an issue with your dashboard cracking as well. Could you private message me your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership you are working with regarding this issue? Thank you very much for your time. I look forward to assisting you with this concern.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

----------

I have an '07 and the dash cracked after 3 years.. it was replaced and has now cracked again- Unbelievable. We also have the pillars liner on both side loose and all the door handles have broken or peeled. Hard to imagine the other vehicles I could have purchased for 65K would have similar problems.
Hello ca2786,

I am sorry to hear that your dashboard has cracked again. I would like to look into your situation for you. Could you please private message me your name, contact info, VIN, mileage and dealership you have been working with? Thank you very much for taking the time to read my post.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

#108 ·
Well I'm at the caddy dealership in Houston to get my esky fixed & now they don't want to give me a rental that I can drive out of Texas. Hello, knock knock I'm from Louisiana. I'm not staying in Texas for a week to convenience you at my cost. I'm also not accepting a run down rental either.

I just don't understand this dealership. Why couldn't they have my car fixed by my house? Why make me drive 4 + hours to drop it off then not have a vehicle of equal value(stated on phone with me) ready for when I got here?

I will never buy another car from this dealership again

#111 ·
Hello,

I'm extremely sorry to read about your circumstances, and I hope everything gets resolved soon. Please let us know if additional assistance is needed. Moreover, we certainly value any feedback you have to offer and are able to report formal dealership compliments and complaints. If this is something you would like to do please feel free to PM us with your name, involved dealership and compliment or complaint.

Kindly,

William R. (assisting Laura & Greg)
Cadillac Customer Care

#109 ·
they gave me an xts but I still can't leave the state. I'm so upset with them. They had over 24 hrs notice that I was bringing the esky in & needed a rental.

They said they'll fix the trim but I'll have to bring it in locally to have the paint fixed. Stewart Cadillac in Houston sucks

#112 ·
i have 07 esv and dash is cracking as well.. same exact place.. got a part ordered from friend body shop to match.. about 100 bucks..roughly.. well worth the eyesore on a fancy SUV with crappy factory parts.. my side mirrors stopped working as well.. folding in.. they quoted 900 for driver side and 600 for passenger side and another 200 to paint match..supposedly you can't fix it.. only replace the whole unit. hells no .. i can go without the side mirror folding. and motor mount had to be replaced.

#113 ·
Mine just finished cracking front to back. At least it's only the piece right by the windshield. My plan is to pull it out, glue it all up, maybe reinforce by heating some paper clips into the plastic on the back and wrapping it with the UV resistant suede. I'm not going to drop the cash to buy a replacement which is likely as defective or worse than the original.

#114 ·
My plan is to pull it out, glue it all up, maybe reinforce by heating some paper clips into the plastic on the back and wrapping it with the UV resistant suede.
That doesn't sound like a bad idea for those with these issues.
Just flip it over and heat up a few paper clips into the break so that the plastic melts around them to reinforce the plastic.

Not knowing how much room there is in there I wonder if it would make sense to use something like Dynamat to provide the extra strength and would add some sound deadening material.

#117 ·
I am extremely disappointed. This is my first Cadillac and will be my last. My upper dashboard cracked right above the steering wheel. Now I cannot see anything but another design flaw and bulging cracked plastic as I drive.

The passenger door handle of my 08 Escalade broke a few months ago. It cost $250 to fix. Now my driver door handle breaks. I cannot believe such cheap plastic materials were used in a $70K+ vehicle. The very first thing anyone touches is the door handle. Engineers and bean counters need to be fired for cheap shortcuts. I know GM is struggling but this is now way to come back.

The trailer hitch cover just fell off. The door trim on the back door popped loose and rubs against the front door. The engine drinks oil like a sailor on leave...but no signs of leaks. There are a number of other small issues. I treat my cars with love and respect. I do not expect such petty problems for the price paid. The bills are adding up. I am almost at the point of telling the dealer to come pick it up and go back to my BMW.

Dr. Danny McCoy

#119 ·
Hello Danny,

I apologize that you have a cracked dashboard as well as are experiencing other issues in your Escalade. I would be more than happy to look into this situation if you would like. Could you please private message me your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership you have been working with so I can contact them regarding this issue? If you are unable to private message me, you can also reach out to me at socialmedia@gm.com. If you send an email, please include “ATTN GREG” in the subject line so it gets delivered straight to me. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

#118 ·
You do realize that the 08 model would have been made during the time that GM was just admitting that it was in serious debt and was less than 12 months from having no money at all.
Were corners cut? Yes, for sure.
Did only the Escalade get cut corners? No, not at all, my STS is certainly lacking in some areas too.
Do all vehicles in the world have 'common issues'? Yes they do. For the Escalade its door handles and dashboard cracking for this generation, for the STS its also door handles (electrical failure rather than physical) and loose seats.

No matter what car you buy it _WILL_ have issues at some point in time or another.

The new GM is improving their lineup. Sad thing is basically you will have to wait for the new body style to get the annoyances fixed.

The GMC Yukon and Chevy Tahoe / Suburban used the same door handles, they don't start at $70k.
Should GM have made special doors and handles for the Escalade when they were short on cash so badly that they launched the 2007 model in January of 2006 in an attempt to generate as much cash as they could.
This is about 6 months earlier than their typical new model year release.

Did you buy this new?
How was it maintained before you bought it?
How many miles are on it?

#122 ·
Im very disappointed to see that in the last few months all of the problems listed have happened to my car: Passenger mirror wont fold in, dash has cracked, interior door handles are peeling, pillars have both bubbled & I have had to replace 3 of my exterior door handles. My Sister calls my car "The real pretty piece of crap" :(

I have replaced the exterior door handles but honestly dont feel like dumping money to fix the other things that make me think nothing of quality was used in this interior. I have never had these things happen on any cheaper car I have owned....so disappointing to know I am probably out a minimum of a thousand dollars to have these things fixed.

How are none of these items recalled? I have 2 friends with the same car and both have had the same thing happen to them.

#123 ·
Hello dmladd76,

I am sorry to hear that you have been experiencing these issues with your Escalade. If you would like to discuss your concerns further, please feel free to private message me or send me an email to socialmedia@gm.com. If you choose to email me, please be sure to include “ATTN GREG” in the subject line so that it gets delivered straight to me. I would need your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership you would like to work with. Thank you very much for your time. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

#124 ·
+1 for dash cracking. I'm joining the club with my 2007 esaclade w/ my cracking dash. Out of warrenty, of course. Already took care of my stuck folding mirrors, cloth comming off the interior side pillars, replaced 2 door handles, peeling chrome trim on interior door handles, rear liftgate struts, fading black time around exterior of window. And now Im back to having to replace my driver doo handle for the 3 time and struts for rear liftgate. What should I do first? =)

#137 ·
Thought I would add some pictorial evidence of my THREE dash cracks. GM please take care of this for me (and not by offering to schedule an appointment for me to pay the full price). View attachment 155497
View attachment 155505
Hello 07BlkOnBlkEXT,

I would be more than happy to look into this situation for you. I cannot guarantee any assistance will be available, but I would definitely like to look into it for you. It would require diagnosis at a dealership however. Please feel free to private message me with your name, contact info, VIN, mileage, and dealership you are working with if you would like me to look into this for you. I hope to hear from you soon.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

#134 ·
Just replaced mine, it was only $210. Swapped out in 30 minutes and only because I took my time. Something that cheap isn't worth even a couple hours of fighting with GM over, my time is worth more. I may at some point go back in and reinforce it, but otherwise I'm not seating it.

#135 ·
I'm curious...is the replacement panel prone to cracking as well? From what I recall reading (either on this topic or another) there was mention about some glue that was preventing the panel from expanding/contracting with the temperature.

Just wondering...since I would be paying over $200 to replace it, will it happen again?

#138 ·
I've had it happen to my 2007 ESV too. I've been living with it for two years. I took it to the dealer and they told me it is because of the hot Florida sun. It is obviously a design defect but the solution is for me to pay for it now and I'm sure pay for it again when they but the same compromised plastic in again and it fails down the road. (I just went out of warranty when I brought it to them)

#139 ·
Hello StereoSteve,

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing a concern with your Escalade’s dashboard. I would like to look further into this situation on your behalf. Please feel free to private message or send me an email to socialmedia@gm.com with “ATTN GREG” in the subject line if you would like to further discuss this concern.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.