Dash Cracking...has this happened to anyone? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Dash Cracking...has this happened to anyone? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc Hello k8mp, We're sorry to see that crack in your dashboard! If you were ...
    quattrotman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 Escalade EXT

Re: Dash Cracking...has this happened to anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Hello k8mp,

We're sorry to see that crack in your dashboard! If you were looking to find the necessary parts outside of a dealership, gmpartsdirect.com might be a good resource; keep us posted if you do decide to work with a dealership as we're definitely available to follow up on anything. Send us a private message with the last 8 digits of your VIN and contact information if you want us to investigate further.

Sarah (Assisting Katie), Cadillac Customer Service
    Or maybe you could raise this complaint with some of the executives and get the dash made out of something more pliable so it doesn't crack. I really don't get how people overlook this kind of stuff when they want as much as they do for an Escalade. Cracking dash on a 4 year old vehicle of this price??? Wow. IMO you just can't keep asking those prices for that truck, build it with cheap materials (cracking dash, door handles that pull off, cheesy fake wood, etc) and not lose customers. Every manufacturer may have it's issues but a cracking dash is not one you should see on a high end truck that is 4 years old. Period.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by quattrotman View Post
    Or maybe you could raise this complaint with some of the executives and get the dash made out of something more pliable so it doesn't crack. I really don't get how people overlook this kind of stuff when they want as much as they do for an Escalade. Cracking dash on a 4 year old vehicle of this price??? Wow. IMO you just can't keep asking those prices for that truck, build it with cheap materials (cracking dash, door handles that pull off, cheesy fake wood, etc) and not lose customers. Every manufacturer may have it's issues but a cracking dash is not one you should see on a high end truck that is 4 years old. Period.
    I definitely can appreciate this perspective, quattrotman! I will be sure to document this thread's URL where several of the appropriate GM teams can view it, and I will document your comments as well. If you would like me to note anything further, don't hesitate to send me a DM (as Sarah mentioned).

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Nixin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '07 Escalade ESV

I truly believe that the major culprit here is; the petroleum based cleaner that is being applied to the dash causing premature dryness and cracking.

hannity is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Porsche Boxster S, 2011 Range Rover Super Charged

As far as people ignoring it, I can't understand why they make excuses and blame it on other things when it's a common issue. I guess it's human nature, people see what hey want to see and believe what they want to believe. AFter all there are cars sitting in junkyards across America day in and day out exposed to the elements and dashes are still intact. Meanwhile a 75k plus escalade which is pampered will have it's dash crack after a few years of ownership? it is unacceptable to say the least.
    PChookhae and PChookhae like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixin View Post
    I truly believe that the major culprit here is; the petroleum based cleaner that is being applied to the dash causing premature dryness and cracking.
    No, the culprit here is cheap plastic. I would invite you to check out the dash of any german vehicle in this price range and check the materials they use. Hard, cheap plastic will crack when exposed to sunlight and heat. That is why you normally get a pliable material on the dash on most high end cars. You actually find that on most vehicles these days except for the cheapest ones where cost is obviously an issue. The Escalade profit margin is much greated than their less expensive vehicles and it is truely shameful what they get away with using. But as long as people buy, they will keep doing it. You will not find that kind of stuff on a Mercedes/BMW/Audi in that price range. While they may have their own issues, cheap materials isn't one of them. Using Armor all or not, your dash should withstand 15-20 years without a crack...not 4. And if it does crack in 4 years, it should be repaired for free...not have GM suggest where you can find replacement parts.
    I remember when I saw the first dash crack in one of my own vehicles...it was in my '75 rabbit...when it was 18 years old.

TSS
    TSS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 Lade & 06 SRX (Gone); 2010 Enclave CXL; 2010 MKS Ecoboost

This is horrible. Those cracks would drive me crazy. I have not had a cracked dash since my 1973 Pontiac Grandville. I thought that was a thing of the past...... Doesn't make sense. I have had much older cars, GM cars, with no dash cracks. My 99 Tahoe and 01 Tahoe never had this issue. It has to be the plastic. My 2001 SLS has no cracks either.....it just has the Seville dash pad warp... LOL.

bagbklyn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade ESV

This is what was happening on the Inifitini FX's and inifniti did the right thing after enough people complained and issued a bulletin and they swap it out. I'm very surprised Cadillac won't do the same. Sad!!!2012-09-11_08-52-02_45.jpg

Nixin is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '07 Escalade ESV

No, the culprit here is cheap plastic. I would invite you to check out the dash of any german vehicle in this price range and check the materials they use. Hard, cheap plastic will crack when exposed to sunlight and heat. That is why you normally get a pliable material on the dash on most high end cars. You actually find that on most vehicles these days except for the cheapest ones where cost is obviously an issue. The Escalade profit margin is much greated than their less expensive vehicles and it is truely shameful what they get away with using. But as long as people buy, they will keep doing it. You will not find that kind of stuff on a Mercedes/BMW/Audi in that price range. While they may have their own issues, cheap materials isn't one of them. Using Armor all or not, your dash should withstand 15-20 years without a crack...not 4. And if it does crack in 4 years, it should be repaired for free...not have GM suggest where you can find replacement parts. I remember when I saw the first dash crack in one of my own vehicles...it was in my '75 rabbit...when it was 18 years old.
    I am NOT disagreeing with you. Second or even third, rate materials being used in a vehicle of this class is quite sad. Typical domestic carmaker mentality; we screwed it up and you fix it and/or learn to live with it! Does anyone from GM even visit this forum????

Quote Originally Posted by Nixin View Post
    I am NOT disagreeing with you. Second or even third, rate materials being used in a vehicle of this class is quite sad. Typical domestic carmaker mentality; we screwed it up and you fix it and/or learn to live with it! Does anyone from GM even visit this forum????
    I'm sorry, I did not mean to come off as snarky as I did now that I read it again. It just makes me mad that GM gets away with this crap. And yes, I think there are a lot of GM employees here ...I'm surprised they haven't come out to play on this one

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    "snarky" now there's a word I haven't heard in a while. ...

For the escalade owners out there and hell even the Tahoe / Suburban / Yukon / XL / Denali guys there should be no reason for a vehicle this new / expensive to have this issue. Clearly the stress point is too high between parts of the dash and the A pillar causing stress fractures. Design defects or manufacturer defects are in play here. GM should either pay parts and labor or one of them anyways.
    PChookhae and PChookhae like this.

allpedal is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade

Mine cracked as well.

bagbklyn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade ESV

So is it narrowed down to 2008 and 2009 escalades?

kazza93203 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 Escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by bagbklyn
    So is it narrowed down to 2008 and 2009 escalades?
    Mine is a 07 and it's cracked/cracking newer models probably haven't had enough miles/stress/GM words customer abuse yet.
    tx22 likes this.

hannity is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Porsche Boxster S, 2011 Range Rover Super Charged

Quote Originally Posted by bagbklyn View Post
    This is what was happening on the Inifitini FX's and inifniti did the right thing after enough people complained and issued a bulletin and they swap it out. I'm very surprised Cadillac won't do the same. Sad!!
    And they wonder why they lose sales to imports. If you stand behind your vehicle customers will feel safe and will continue to buy. That is why I always said there are so many employees of gm on this site, because there is no way in hell people can just ignore these issues and continue to make excuses for flat out poor quality.

MrHolland is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

^^^Thanks for stopping by!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.