Dash Cracking...has this happened to anyone? - Page 11
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Dash Cracking...has this happened to anyone? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Escalade dash is less than one hour or several beers if you want it to last that long. Lol...
    hrpatel17926 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS, 2007 ESV
    Escalade dash is less than one hour or several beers if you want it to last that long. Lol

ScarabChris is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Escalade EXT

Re: Dash Cracking...has this happened to anyone?

Yes I can tell it's just the thin front section. If it mounts in the same as the Avalanche then it's basically a 20 minute job. The "Coverlay" will slip in within one minute and they say it looks factory. We will see. I will post pics once I get it done.

Throwback420 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 escalade

Anyone use those txdashcovers and got pics?

Or any links to a good dash cover I can buy online.

Goodolboy is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Seems like everyone else has the same typical problems I do with the 2007 EXT. Transmission doesn't engage quickly anymore going from reverse to drive (been that way since the dealership changed the transmission fluid.) I had to replace the starter last month, and now have a cracked dash on the driver's side. I Bought this new, and have certainly put some miles on it, but this really is unacceptable. It would be one thing if I never serviced it regularly or cleaned it regularly, but I do. While my EXT is one of my favorite vehicles I've ever owned (including two CTS's, GMC 1500, Acadia, Suburban, two GMC torrents, etc.) it's been the nickel and dime repairs on items that shouldn't fail that just tick me off. Fuel pump failed (warranty replacement), two door handles broken, air filter gauge never worked (and dealer never opened the freakin airbox to visually inspect the filter until I suggested the gauge might be broken... and this was one of their items to check during service, lol!) wiper fluid heater recall, disconnected with a whopping $200 refund and a dash with a non functioning button, and the list goes on.

It's just disappointing to see sub-par materials being used in such a high end vehicle. Sorry for the venting, I'm just tired of fixing stupid stuff, and relying on GM to properly service my EXT. And this cracked dash just happens to be the last straw so to speak. Not to stray from the topic, but before the fuel pump replacement, I was getting 20mpg on the highway. With the new one, I get 16mpg. That was actually the last straw. The cracked dash just added insult to injury.

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car

For what it's worth the heated washer fluid was a recall for fire related issues. You can get an alpha therm unit that is basically plug-n-play that works with the oem setup that isn't the same faulty design.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp View Post
    For what it's worth the heated washer fluid was a recall for fire related issues. You can get an alpha therm unit that is basically plug-n-play that works with the oem setup that isn't the same faulty design.
    Great point! GM chose to disable the feature instead of fixing what we paid for. And, obviously a fix was available if an aftermarket version is available. That just furthers my point about being nickel and dimed thanks to sub-par materials.

Throwback420 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 escalade

I ended up buying a dash cover.
    Sedona suede. got it from autoanything. came out real nice

Quote Originally Posted by Goodolboy View Post
    Great point! GM chose to disable the feature instead of fixing what we paid for. And, obviously a fix was available if an aftermarket version is available. That just furthers my point about being nickel and dimed thanks to sub-par materials.
    I believe it's actually the same company that GM used. And if I recall correctly they filed bankruptcy or would have needed to file it due to the mishap with GM and that is why GM went with the refund recall instead of waiting for a replacement that would likely just always be out of stock. Blame alpha therm for the defective initial design.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Throwback420 View Post
    I ended up buying a dash cover.
    Sedona suede. got it from autoanything. came out real nice
    Pics installed?
    Thoughts on quality?

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp View Post
    I believe it's actually the same company that GM used. And if I recall correctly they filed bankruptcy or would have needed to file it due to the mishap with GM and that is why GM went with the refund recall instead of waiting for a replacement that would likely just always be out of stock. Blame alpha therm for the defective initial design.

----------

Pics installed?
    Thoughts on quality?
    Thanks for the details. And, while I understand the fault can easily lie with a parts manufacturer, I didn't buy the product from them. I bought it from GM. So, ultimately it was GM's responsibility to provide me with what I paid for. That's just how I see it.

----------

Well, I removed the vent section of the dash, epoxied the two parts back together, also epoxied another crack that was in it, and have just re-installed it. It will do for now, but the main crack is still visible, just not flopping all over like some beat up hunk of junk.

I understand that as well and think that GM could (should) have sourced a better quality part instead. However it's probably likely that it would have cost more in R&D for GM to create their own unit than what the cost of the option would have been worth to the end user. Oh well it is what it is.
    I've heard some dealers would even install the aftermarket unit for you.

For the dash cracking issue I can see pulling it out and using epoxy to get it back in shape and then depending on how those dash covers look going with one of those to cover it up.

EXTowner_VA is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): Escalade EXT

I own a 2010 Cadillac Escalade EXT and my bash is cracked in two spots. I am very annoyed by this, especially after reading this entire thread and seeing the issue as a trend.

addydoll is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation

Do you have a recall on the dashboards. My 2008 Cadillac Escalade Dashboard has cracked in two places.

Recalls are limited to safety issues not cosmetics.

johnkenerson is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Escalade

That happened to me too. I used some clear epoxy to fix it, but it looks terrible. Since the plastic has a texture its hard to make it not look like a repair with bondo, putty, etc. Mine is in the same place.

hrpatel17926 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 CTS, 2007 ESV
    Same thing with mine bought one on ebay, 15 min install. No other way around it. There is a write up about one person repairing and installing fabric over the entire piece looked ok.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.