Is AWD REALLY Not Needed??? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Is AWD REALLY Not Needed??? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I own a 2011 with AWD and love it, perfect family car. I live in NY and we have lots ...
    DG2
    DG2 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    I own a 2011 with AWD and love it, perfect family car. I live in NY and we have lots of snow, slush, ice and plenty of mess. If I lived in LA there is NO way I would even consider AWD. You do not need it and with gas nearing $5 per gallon you will get better mpg with RWD.

Unless you will take up to Big Bear or Tahoe skiing regularly save yourself the dough

Your going really love the Escalade.

roadog1aj is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 EXT Premium & 2006 STS4

Re: Is AWD REALLY Not Needed???

Personally, I would always go with the AWD if the vehicle I'm looking at has that option. Also, if your budget allows, and if you plan to ever trade this vehicle in, or sell it outright, you should consider investing in the Luxury, or Premium (I own an '11 EXT Premium). Most of those extra options will benefit you while you own it, but also will add greatly to the resale value of the vehicle. The Base model of most manufacturers are a dime a dozen, but vehicles with lots of extra options are harder to find, and garner higher $$$ when they are traded in or up for sale. Good luck with what ever you decide is best for you and your budget!!

Royalton is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 Escalade

Your dealer definitely lied to you. I just bought one and the AWD's get scooped up much quicker than the RWD's. I saw some RWD's that sat 6 months and were still there after I bought mine...might still even be there lol If you are leasing an escalade you'll probably get a RWD all escalade leases and rentals I saw were always RWD. I think to keep the price down.

Can anyone explain the drive system to us. I looked around and it looks as if the RWD escalade uses a limited slip rear differential which might be the same as a Posi traction rear diff. Meaning 1 wheel turns but the other will get power if the power wheel slips? Or do both wheels always have power? in AWD models is it one front wheel and one rear always as the power wheel or is it all four? The answer as to what type of differentials they are might better help to decide AWD vs RWD. I don't know enough about the different types to comment, just raise the question. My last truck was 4x4 and that I assume is 2 limited slip differentials, that you can manually put into all 4 tires as power tires? I remember I couldn't drive on the highway though if I was in 4x4 mode as if I turned it had to be on sand because of the different turning radius of each tire or else it would make a shuttering sound on pavement. So I presume that our escalades do not have a mode for all 4 wheels as power wheels. Does this mean that our escalades would not preform as well off roading as say my last truck, an explorer with AWD that I could manually put into 4x4 mode. I have taken that thing through wet mud up to my knees and was amazed that I could never get that thing stuck, even from me trying my best.

I wasn't quite sure if mine was AWD or RWD as I bought an AWD but it didn't say it anywhere at all, but going over speedbumps at a mall my front wheels chirp again when they retouch the pavement after the speedbump so I knew I had AWD, felt pretty cool actually almost like a mini burnout but with my front tires.

karprive is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Thanks again everyone. I am strongly leaning towards the AWD - while I live in LA, I do think it will come in handy at certain times. If I were 100% sure that I would be returning the Escalade after the lease ends, then I would have definitely gotten the RWD, but since I'm hoping I'll love it too much to not keep it, I've decided to focus on the AWD models.

Unfortunately, it seems like there aren't too many available in my area right now. The Base model for 2012 seems pretty well equipped...the biggest minuses are that it has no sunroof, 18" wheels, no MRC, and no blind spot warning. It does have the nav and back up camera, so it seems to have more features than base models of prior years.

I'm looking for a Black Raven AWD, but no luck so far...may be stuck having to wait for a 2013...

Thanks again...this forum has been very helpful.

Royalton is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 Escalade

If you think you might keep it I would buy not lease, you still get screwed at the end of your lease no matter what. It's not like they credit you your monthly payments. Plus If you get a good deal your monthly payments would be the same if you did a 5-6 year payments, plus you will be building equity in the car and not have to start from scratch after your lease ends. Plus you need better credit for a lease than to buy it w a loan. You can get a loan at 8% if your credit score is over 600, and 4% if its over 700, if its over 720 I think you can get GMAC financing for 0-1% too.

This is the car locator that I have bought every one of my cars and trucks though. It has more cars in this database than anywhere else.
    http://www.web2carz.com/10/285/90210...lade/used-cars

Unfortunately it seams there's not so many in your area. I had like several hundred show for my area and only 20 show for your area. So maybe it is a lot harder for some unknown reason to find in your area... maybe higher tax or emissions crap from Cali

These are all Black & in your area:

2009 AWD Black $38,995 http://www.web2carz.com/79077463/200...-cars/for-sale
    2010 RWD Black $45,900 http://www.web2carz.com/79193883/201...-cars/for-sale
    2011 AWD Black $58,000 http://www.web2carz.com/70943862/201...-cars/for-sale
    2012 AWD Black Platinum $74,995 http://www.web2carz.com/79889528/201...-cars/for-sale

You can also save a lot by not buying in your area and having it shipped there. In my area the prices are 1 year less than those, and shipping is like $700-$1200. Also Texas Direct on ebay probably has more escalades than all of the dealers in your area combined so check them out too.

Quick tip too. This always works, after your done negotiating at the stealership plan in your head to leave and go to lunch or dinner and come back later, but tell the salesperson that you want to think about it because the price is a little too high for you. They wont let you leave and if by small chance they do...they'll call you while your eating saying some bs about they just spoke to their manager! works like a charm every time

evois is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 escalade hybrid

I have an escalade hybrid with selectable 4wd. It has a choice a 2wd but prefers to use the 4wd auto all the time. as for dealers with awd, try parker cadillac in little rock AR and look for jeff thorton. if they have one in stock he will give you a no-nonsense deal.

http://www.parker-cadillac.com/Vehic...model=Escalade

http://www.parker-cadillac.com/Vehic...earch=preowned

Regency is offline Cadillac Owners Member

The dealer said the same about the yukon said stabilitrak would get me through it all... Well it doesn't definitley get AWD

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.