Engine won't shut off on 2008 Cadillac Escalade ESV
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Engine won't shut off on 2008 Cadillac Escalade ESV in Cadillac Escalade Forums; For the second time I got to work put my truck in park took the key out and my engine ...
    Hfresh is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Escalade ESV

Engine won't shut off on 2008 Cadillac Escalade ESV

For the second time I got to work put my truck in park took the key out and my engine kept running. Does anyone have any idea or has anyone experienced this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Kingoftypos is online now Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
    Quote Originally Posted by Hfresh
    For the second time I got to work put my truck in park took the key out and my engine kept running. Does anyone have any idea or has anyone experienced this.
    Even though your in the wrong area. I'll be able to help. If this happens again, play around with the ignition switch with the key out. Hopefully it'll turn off. It may just be the contacts are still making contact. Which should be covered under your warranty, depending on where you stand with it.

Also, how heavy is your key chain? Yours and anyone else who has a set of keys. I ask, because if it's too heavy it will cause the above to happen. In my section, 1st gen CTS. We've had quite a few people complain about their cars dying. One of then pointed out that their girl friend has a heavy set of keys. So took the braveness away and all went well.

KOT

I got it to shut off after three hours running. I called my friend who is a mechanic he told me to remove the ignition switch fuse. It shut off after that I'm off to the dealership in the morning to find out whats the deal.

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

Re: Engine won't shut off on 2008 Cadillac Escalade ESV

to the Escalade forum.
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Did you try putting the key back in and moving it to run then off again?

K9Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 AWD Escalade Ultra Luxury Raven Black

I've heard of that issue with "bad" gas. Try using a different station and of course, premium.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Hfresh View Post
    I got it to shut off after three hours running. I called my friend who is a mechanic he told me to remove the ignition switch fuse. It shut off after that I'm off to the dealership in the morning to find out whats the deal.
    Hfresh, I hope you'll let us know what the outcome is after consulting with your dealership! If you'd like me to contact them at any point on your behalf, just drop me an email at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

mikemjohnson is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade, 2006 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by K9Caddy View Post
    I've heard of that issue with "bad" gas. Try using a different station and of course, premium.
    not going to be gas related; bad gas will only cause performance issues, not "over performance" hah
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingoftypos View Post
    Also, how heavy is your key chain? Yours and anyone else who has a set of keys. I ask, because if it's too heavy it will cause the above to happen. In my section, 1st gen CTS. We've had quite a few people complain about their cars dying. One of then pointed out that their girl friend has a heavy set of keys. So took the braveness away and all went well.

KOT
    you have no idea how often i take calls for keys not working in the cylinder; not turning or hard to get out. first thing i do when the client arrives is ask for the keychain. 94.3929% of the time its a lady with about 4 pounds of stuff on her key chain. results in a ignition cylinder being needed (this is on german stuff, a lot of VWs are common for this failure). not saying thats what caused this in the OP's situation, but just a piece of advice for everyone

Quote Originally Posted by K9Caddy View Post
    I usually use Mobil gas but I went to a BP gas station. Both times this has happened its been with BP gas.

I don't have a heavy key ring. I don't want all that bulk in my pocket. Mainly the key and the key fob are the only thing in my ignition when I drive. I have a key ring that separates and my house keys are on the other half.

AWallerJr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade
    How can bad gas keep the truck running after the key is out the ignition??

K9Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 AWD Escalade Ultra Luxury Raven Black

It's called "dieseling". Here are some causes that were copy and pasted, in most cases it happens in older carbureted engines.

Dieseling can occur for several reasons:

Built-up carbon in the ignition chamber can glow red after the engine is off, providing a mechanism for igniting unburnt fuel. Such a thing can happen when the engine runs very rich, depositing unspent fuel and particles on the pistons and valves. Similarly, rough metal regions within the piston chamber can cause this same problem, since they can glow red. It has also been suggested that an improperly rated spark plug can retain heat and cause the same problem.
    A carburetor that does not completely close can contribute to running once the engine is off, since the extra fuel and oxygen mixture can combust easily in the warm piston chamber. Similarly, hot vaporized oil gases from the engine crankcase can provide ample fuel for dieseling.
    Incorrect timing.
    An engine that runs too hot or too lean may produce an environment conducive to allowing unspent fuel to burn.
    An idle speed that is too fast can leave the engine with too much angular momentum upon shutdown, raising the chances that the engine can turn over and burn more fuel and lock itself into a cycle of continuous running.

AWallerJr is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade
    Wow... Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info. People thought I didn't know what I was talking about. My Caddy has never done that until I got gas at this certain gas station. Two times with the same gas at the same exact station. There is no way it can be a coincidence.

Nice Ride is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Escilade 2009 ESV Platinum
    Highly unlikely it's the gas. Does it run smooth as if the key is still in? Or is it a little rough? Any lights lit on the dash? Have you tried using your other key for a while?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.