Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Engine won't shut off on 2008 Cadillac Escalade ESV

23K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Nice Ride 
#1 ·
For the second time I got to work put my truck in park took the key out and my engine kept running. Does anyone have any idea or has anyone experienced this.

#2 ·
Even though your in the wrong area. I'll be able to help. If this happens again, play around with the ignition switch with the key out. Hopefully it'll turn off. It may just be the contacts are still making contact. Which should be covered under your warranty, depending on where you stand with it.

Also, how heavy is your key chain? Yours and anyone else who has a set of keys. I ask, because if it's too heavy it will cause the above to happen. In my section, 1st gen CTS. We've had quite a few people complain about their cars dying. One of then pointed out that their girl friend has a heavy set of keys. So took the braveness away and all went well.

KOT

#8 ·
not going to be gas related; bad gas will only cause performance issues, not "over performance" hah
Also, how heavy is your key chain? Yours and anyone else who has a set of keys. I ask, because if it's too heavy it will cause the above to happen. In my section, 1st gen CTS. We've had quite a few people complain about their cars dying. One of then pointed out that their girl friend has a heavy set of keys. So took the braveness away and all went well.

KOT
you have no idea how often i take calls for keys not working in the cylinder; not turning or hard to get out. first thing i do when the client arrives is ask for the keychain. 94.3929% of the time its a lady with about 4 pounds of stuff on her key chain. results in a ignition cylinder being needed (this is on german stuff, a lot of VWs are common for this failure). not saying thats what caused this in the OP's situation, but just a piece of advice for everyone

#12 ·
It's called "dieseling". Here are some causes that were copy and pasted, in most cases it happens in older carbureted engines.

Dieseling can occur for several reasons:

Built-up carbon in the ignition chamber can glow red after the engine is off, providing a mechanism for igniting unburnt fuel. Such a thing can happen when the engine runs very rich, depositing unspent fuel and particles on the pistons and valves. Similarly, rough metal regions within the piston chamber can cause this same problem, since they can glow red. It has also been suggested that an improperly rated spark plug can retain heat and cause the same problem.
A carburetor that does not completely close can contribute to running once the engine is off, since the extra fuel and oxygen mixture can combust easily in the warm piston chamber. Similarly, hot vaporized oil gases from the engine crankcase can provide ample fuel for dieseling.
Incorrect timing.
An engine that runs too hot or too lean may produce an environment conducive to allowing unspent fuel to burn.
An idle speed that is too fast can leave the engine with too much angular momentum upon shutdown, raising the chances that the engine can turn over and burn more fuel and lock itself into a cycle of continuous running.

#14 ·
Thanks for the info. People thought I didn't know what I was talking about. My Caddy has never done that until I got gas at this certain gas station. Two times with the same gas at the same exact station. There is no way it can be a coincidence.

#18 ·
Found out what the problem was. I have the big 26 in wheels and tires and the drives front wheel was rubbing against the wiring and rubbed through the wire loom and scraped the shielding off of about six wires. Had the wires repaired and all the codes cleared now I'm all good. But I had to pay for it unfortunately but thats the price you pay when you ride big. SMDH!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.