My building's maintance guy just painted my new Escalade. ;/
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By rfishoutofwater
  • 2 Post By hcvone
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, My building's maintance guy just painted my new Escalade. ;/ in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hey guys so my building has a maintenance guy who decided to spray paint the railings at my apartment. and ...
    Royalton is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 Escalade

My building's maintance guy just painted my new Escalade. ;/

Hey guys so my building has a maintenance guy who decided to spray paint the railings at my apartment. and my whole entire car is covered with a dusting of white paint. I took it to the car wash to see if that would get it off, and after washing it the guy called me over and was like yo, do you know your cars covered in paint? So anyway they said it would be $400 to clay bar the whole car, than rewax it. That also included getting it off plastics, moldings, the glass, and trim. I waxed the car just 2 weeks ago so I'm pretty pissed that now I have to do all this to get it back to the way it was 2 weeks ago.

What should I do? I live in FL, the maintenance guy is hired by the owners of the building, they are also my landlord. They had no problem raising my rent this year and no problem charging me a late fee when I paid after 5pm on the due date.

So should I ask them to pay for it? If they say no should I sue them. or should I just chalk it up to a lose, pay for it and move on?
    My landlord is kinda a DBag so I'd expect him to say no, or to maybe offer one of his workers to try to get it out, but I wouldn't want them touching my car.

Court here in FL is $150 if the amount is less than $500, and the winner of the case gets that fee added to their settlement. Any law guys here know if he would be liable?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Rustico is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade ESV Black on Black

Re: My building's maintance guy just painted my new Escalade. ;/

Rush to the auto parts store and pick up two clay bars and detailer spray. Looks like you have new plans for today. Cancel all your appointments grab two beers and turn on some music.

rfishoutofwater is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 Escalade EVS Platinum Rip Tide Blue

Personally I would talk with the landlords. Then go from there.

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Our detail shops used to deal with this all the time, you can do it yourself if you have a lot of time, but the 400 dollars is a good deal if they do a good job, it could easily be double that with rewaxing. YES THEY SHOULD PAY FOR IT, and they are getting off cheap

surburban99 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Platinum Escalade ESV

I would talk to the landlord. Were any other cars affected by the spray paint? This would be good evidence that it was done by one of his employees.

bstiffmanofsteel is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

Don't forget to take pictures just in case!

quattrotman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 Escalade EXT

Make your landlord pay...it's his responsability/liability. It's happened to me before too...I went after the guilty party and they were happy to pay the damages. $400 is not really very much to be looking for...you could give him the option: $400 to clay bar the truck or $8000 to respray it!

Regency is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    A detail shop is crazy for even thinking of charging 400 that should me more than $150 definitely take it up with the land lord because the longer the paint sits its not doing any harm it's just overspray which can be clayed right off

uflj50 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade

You should not have to go to court,this is assuming that you already have informed them of what happened. The building owner/property manager is responsible since it sounds like it was one of their "staff" who caused the damage. In the event it was a subcontractor they are still liable and would then have to try to recoup their expense to repair your truck from their end. Depending on how heavy the overspray is it should
    Come off with a mild compound. When I owned a detail shop we would see this all the time was very good for business, in the extreme cases, sects of the car would be wipped with acetone or a thinner and then immediately washed with soap and water then waxed.

rjm
    rjm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '11 Escalade Premium

Your biggest mistake was moving your vehicle. You should've taken pictures showing the paint overspray on the vehicle as well as, if possible, an angle that would include both your vehicle and the painters. Then gone immediately to the office and had them document the situation. If they were uncooperative/uncaring, then you should've called the police and had them document everything. Only then should you have moved your vehicle.

Now its just your word against theirs.

Sorry to sound so harsh, but I've been through situations like this before and have learned my lesson the hard way.

hannity is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Porsche Boxster S, 2011 Range Rover Super Charged

That sucks, I hope they work with you to pay for it. On a side note (not a shot at you) his accidental spraying I'm sure is a better paint job than factory.

Royalton is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 Escalade

Update: Called the landlord, he hasn't called me back yet because he is gone till Tuesday. Their employee comes back to finish painting tuesday too. I will snap some pics of him painting again on tues, before I talk to the landlord. I've already taken pics of the car with the paint on it. pics of the car near the fences that the've painted. And pics of overspray areas which show he was using spray cans of paint and wasn't very careful.

As for the quote I think that's about average. Clay baring a car takes about 3-4 hours and than re waxing it will take another hour to two. so 4-6 hours of work plus a good wax sounds right for $400.

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by Royalton View Post
    Update: Called the landlord, he hasn't called me back yet because he is gone till Tuesday. Their employee comes back to finish painting tuesday too. I will snap some pics of him painting again on tues, before I talk to the landlord. I've already taken pics of the car with the paint on it. pics of the car near the fences that the've painted. And pics of overspray areas which show he was using spray cans of paint and wasn't very careful.

As for the quote I think that's about average. Clay baring a car takes about 3-4 hours and than re waxing it will take another hour to two. so 4-6 hours of work plus a good wax sounds right for $400.

I have personally spent several days claying off paint on friends cars/trucks, if it's bad it can take some time, and if it's epoxy paint it will take twice as long, on some cars I have used 10 clay bars because the paint just clogs the clay

brooklynallstar is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade

Did the landlord take care of the paint issue for you?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.