air ride and ball joints
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, air ride and ball joints in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Have searched this with no luck but here goes.. for some very extremely odd reason my struts on my 2007 ...
    rashwerd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade Esv

air ride and ball joints

Have searched this with no luck but here goes.. for some very extremely odd reason my struts on my 2007 esv are bad along with both lower ball joints and both wheel bearings took it to have it aligned by the wife and this is what she comes back and tells me of course im thinking no way in the world 73k miles that stuff shouldnt be anywhere near going bad so i start tearing into the passenger side and so far the ball joint (lower) and bearing both are bad on that side but was wondering how the ball joints came out are they just pressed in or what ?? also anyone know the best place to get the air ride struts from?? apparently the factory ones were took off and replaced with ones that are not air and they used the kit to change it over but id rather go back to what it had on it also this may mean that this is the 4rd set of struts that will be getting put on this thing in just 5 years curious if anyone else has had this issue or not thanks for all the help...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

anhandrew is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade ESV modded out, 2010 CTS Performance FE3

Re: air ride and ball joints

The front struts are not air. However my mechanic did make note of my lower balljoints being worn after 74K. Don't know about bearings.

I am not sure why so many have front shock failures. I am still on my original ones in the front. My rears the air bags leaked so i changed it out.

MrHolland is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Big rims and thin tires aren't very nice to front end parts. Thats the price of lookin good!!

quattrotman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 Escalade EXT

The factory shocks are crap and are a common and expensive replacement item. Ball joints are common as well and may be related to the shock failure. I replaced mine with arnott bilstein and couldn't be happier with the ride and price. Up to you what you do on your truck but IMO I would not spend the money on OEM. When I was buying my truck (used), pretty much every single one I looked at had front shocks replaced in their service history. That tells me there is a problem. I was not looking at any trucks with over 50k mi.

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Big heavy wheels and tires and not very good roads eat parts up, now if they made things as heavy duty as the HD 2500's there would be not problem, of course shocks on cars only last 25,000-50,000 miles so why would they last longer on trucks? They of course do not.

how do these ball joints come out pressed?? unsure if mine are "steel arm" or aluminum arm?? the parts stores keep asking me that but dont know what they are referring to A arm maybe??

anhandrew is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade ESV modded out, 2010 CTS Performance FE3

Best way to test it is find a magnet. I did that with mine so i can buy the parts. While you are at it do the upper ones and tierods. You have it all apart and will need an alignments regardless.

sounds good thanks for helping.. yeah this all came up by buying new tires so thought that it would be a good idea to have the alignment checked so of course we did and were then told about all of these problems because the guy stated Why did we want it aligned because it was out a little he said but drove fine so he looked and found all of these other problems could not believe it ....

cadmanchris is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS,2007 STS V8
    They are referring to the A-arms. I believe the ESV's uses the steel arms, while the short body uses the aluminum arms.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.