Front end pop
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Front end pop in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I'm trying to trace a popping noise from my front end. It used to only do it once in the ...
    48Dodge is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '08 Escalade ESV

Front end pop

I'm trying to trace a popping noise from my front end. It used to only do it once in the morning or after sitting for a while. It makes the noise when changing direction or turning at slow speed. And it is only one pop not CC joint noise. I checked the hubs and one was goung bad so I went ahead and replaced both but that wasn't the noise. I'm wondering about the sway bar since I've seen others with this symptom have sway bar issues. How tight should the links be on the sway bar? I've found specs for the mounting brackets but not the links.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Merc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac Escalade
    I hear the same noise that you are describing. I have not been able to find it and I am not too concerned about it since everything appears to be fine. Should I be concern?

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: Front end pop

Merc& 48Dodge, I'm really sorry to hear about your noise frustration and can look into this further if you wish. I realize you're seeking DIY advice from other owners, but please contact me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com with the last eight of your VIN, and I can investigate further on your behalf.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

kazza93203 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 Escalade
    Might be your spring seats. Check those first. Normal noise would be a snapping noise or pop when going over a bump or dip. Sharp turns were the wheels are maxed out either right or left. Usually happens in morning time. So yea check your spring seats lol

Quote Originally Posted by kazza93203 View Post
    Might be your spring seats. Check those first. Normal noise would be a snapping noise or pop when going over a bump or dip. Sharp turns were the wheels are maxed out either right or left. Usually happens in morning time. So yea check your spring seats lol
    Thanks I'll check those. Used to only happen when backing out in the morning. Just recently started becoming constant during the day. Would something be broken or just need some lube?

quattrotman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 Escalade EXT

Quote Originally Posted by kazza93203 View Post
    Is it lowered? All of the cars I've had that were lowered would make a noise similar to what you are describing and it was the spring popping or moving slightly in it's seat. Harmless but sounded bad.

No it's stock but the springs have been in and out several times with shocks and other components replaced.

corvette00 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Escalade Luxury, 2000 Corvette

intermediate shaft in the steering

I'm more convinced it's something in the steering. Checked spring mounts and they look good visually.

cadmanchris is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS,2007 STS V8
    I've noticed this pop pulling out of my driveway at times. I haven't had a chance to take the truck to work to look at it, but I think it may be one of my frame mounts. We see this on the Hummers a lot and it has that type of thump.

cadmanchris is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS,2007 STS V8
    Subject: Underbody Pop or Clunk Type Noise While Turning or Driving on Uneven Road Surfaces (Install Body Mount Insulator)

Models: 2004-2012 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
    2004-2012 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado (Classic), Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
    2004-2012 GMC Sierra (Classic), Sierra Denali (Classic), Sierra, Sierra Denali, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL

This bulletin is being revised to update the model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-08-61-003E (Section 08 – Body and Accessories).
    Condition
    Some customers may comment on a pop or clunk type noise while turning or driving on uneven road surfaces. This noise can be heard and/or felt at either the driver's or front passenger floor pan area.

Cause
    Under certain conditions, normal movement between the frame and the #1, #2 or #3 body mounts may cause this noise to occur.

Diagnosis

1. If the vehicle is equipped with aftermarket (non-GM Accessory) running boards or the running board is mounted using the body mount bolt, remove the running boards prior to test driving the vehicle. This will eliminate the running boards as the possible cause of the noise.
    2. Install the J-39570 Chassis Ears to the frame rail at or near the body mounts.
    3. Test drive the vehicle to identify which mount is suspect.
    Correction
    Install an insulator at the suspect mount(s). The insulator should be installed between the upper portion of the body mount and the frame bracket. The #1 mount is the mount located just under the A-pillar. The #2 mount is the mount located just under the B-pillar. The #3 mount is the mount located just under the C-pillar. Use the procedure listed below.

1. Raise the vehicle on the hoist. It is recommended to use a four-post lift or strap the vehicle frame to the hoist arms.
    2. For the left side mounts only, remove the intermediate park brake cable. Perform the following steps:
    2.1 Remove the nut from the park brake equalizer.
    2.2 Remove the intermediate cable from the equalizer.
    2.3 Depress the retaining tabs that secure the park brake cable to the frame.
    2.4 Pull slightly on the cable from the mounting area in order to provide slack for body movement without binding the cable.
    3. Remove all of the body mount bolts on the side being repaired.
    4. Properly support the body at the body mount area.

Caution When you remove the body mount, do NOT separate the frame from the body more than is necessary. Possible personal injury and damage to multiple parts may result.
    5. Lower the chassis accordingly in order to remove the upper portion of the body mount.

6. Install the new insulator to the bottom of the top portion of the body mount. The picture shows the insulator (1) location after the body mount is reassembled.
    7. Install the body mount to the frame bracket.
    8. Perform the following procedure before installing the bolts.
    8.1 Clean the bolt threads of all the original thread locking compound.
    8.2 Clean the threads of the bolt with denatured alcohol or equivalent and allow to dry.
    8.3 Apply Threadlocker, GM P/N 89021297 (In Canada, use P/N 10953488).
    9. Install the body mount bolts.
    Tighten
    For 2003, 2004 and 2005 model year, tighten the bolts to 85 N·m (63 lb ft).
    Tighten
    For 2006–2012 model year, tighten the bolts to 100 N·m (74 lb ft).
    10. Reinstall the intermediate park brake cable (left side only).
    Parts Information

Part Number

Description

Insulator, Body

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

knight22 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade and a CTS

I had a pop from the front of my 2007 Cadillac Escalade when ever I turned out either left or right onto a slightly uneven road surface. After looking at the front end suspension, I found a broken link on the front sway bar. I replaced both links and have not had an issue since. Also, I have noticed that the vehicle seems to track a little better going down theroad with less steering input. It's still a beautiful driving vehicle.........

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by knight22 View Post
    I had a pop from the front of my 2007 Cadillac Escalade when ever I turned out either left or right onto a slightly uneven road surface. After looking at the front end suspension, I found a broken link on the front sway bar. I replaced both links and have not had an issue since. Also, I have noticed that the vehicle seems to track a little better going down theroad with less steering input. It's still a beautiful driving vehicle.........
    Hello knight22,

Thank you very much for posting your experience with this issue as well! I am glad to hear that you have found and addressed the concern. Welcome to the forum! I see this is your first post. Please feel free to private message me if you have any questions or concerns regarding your Cadillac vehicles. You can also reach out to us at socialmedia@gm.com. Thank you very much for your time.

Gregory W.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.