My truck smells like gas...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, My truck smells like gas... in Cadillac Escalade Forums; from the rear of the truck it smells like gas (oline) BAD! last night a few buddies of mine and ...
    psuscott0483 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 EXT

My truck smells like gas...

from the rear of the truck it smells like gas (oline) BAD!

last night a few buddies of mine and i were leaving a bar down the street we walk behind the truck to get in and catch a whiff of gas; didnt think much of it and i drove home (about 2miles) get out and smell gas again. very strong odor from behind the car past the back tires and underneath. but no smell in the cabin or engine bay.

i let it sit overnight hoping that because it has been obnoxiously hot around here that maybe there is a vent on the tank if the pressure is too high? idk

but today it is even worse, smell has reached inside the cabin yet i cannot find a leak anywhere, there are no drips on the garage floor? ended up not even driving it im afraid it will explode now and i had to bring the giant f350 monster truck to work. any suggestions besides the obvious tow it to the dealor? didnt know if this was an issue with this model year, i have zero luck doing searches on this website maybe it is an ie9 issue?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Re: My truck is farting...

Get under the truck and look where the rubber fuel hose goes from the gas filler neck to the tank, we have seen a few times this year where some rodents chewed this rubber hose causing a small leak and a BIG SMELL of gas. Could also be a bad fuel cap but that would have probably gave a check engine light or vapor lock and the truck would run like crap

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: My truck smells like gas...

Really sad to hear about the frustrating smell, psuscott0483. I'm sure forum members will keep replying with helpful Do-It-Yourself feedback, and if you do decide to pursue the dealership option and have related questions, then please email me anytime (Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com).

Looking forward to your updates,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

99ssconv is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): fix them every day

possible that your evap vent valve is stuck open, Had some issues with them and there is an updated design

Quote Originally Posted by 99ssconv
    possible that your evap vent valve is stuck open, Had some issues with them and there is an updated design
    Would it be dangerous to drive if that were the case? There are no leaks i can find anywhere.

according to the dealor the gas tank was overfilled & the entire fill tube and charcoal canister was full of fuel. they asked if i continued to pump gas in after the pump 'clicked' to shut off i said no. not sure how it happened but after a few more trips the smell went away and i guess we will see what happens next time i fill it.

also my apologies i was just trying to make a silly joke with the old threat title but it seems a moderator did not like that

Je357 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

have same issue...smell of gas from rear driver side wheel well.....and the first initial start up of vehicle takes longer..starts right up on 2nd try ..never done this before i started getting this gas smell...any advice greatly appreciated

I ended up replacing something on the top of the tank (fuel sending unit?) because they could not repair it and it was leaking as i would drive when the tank was full. roughly 600$ if i recall

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by Je357 View Post
    have same issue...smell of gas from rear driver side wheel well.....and the first initial start up of vehicle takes longer..starts right up on 2nd try ..never done this before i started getting this gas smell...any advice greatly appreciated
    Hello Je357,

I am sorry to hear you are having the smell of gas in your vehicle also. If you would like to discuss this concern further with us, please reach out via private message and include your VIN and current mileage so we can help you work towards resolving this issue.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Je357 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by 99ssconv View Post
    where is this vent valve located...would this part being stuck open give me a delayed start aswell as the gas smell

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.