Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Window Tint - what do you have?

58K views 76 replies 37 participants last post by  BBC 
#1 ·
I believe stock windows are 20% have you guys gone darker?

When I got my front windows done I think they did 20% to match the rears. I think they still look too light and I'm think i might want to go darker.

Someone told me that I could try 15% on the front even though it's darker the light coming in front the front windshield will make it match the rear, has anyone done this?

I definitely don't want 5% tint but something I'd like to know what y'all have.

#3 ·
I have 5% (Limo) Suntek Carbon Series all around and 70% Carbon on front windshield that looks transparent like there is no window tint there but have the benefits of having the windshield tinted. With the rear being tinted already from the factory you can see slightly through the front 2 windows.

#7 ·
@uflj50 - When you say 20% on the rear you mean you left the factory tint as is and just added 15% tint on the two front windows right?

@murphy I've seen other pics of your truck and yes that is nice tint hard to see in, I get stopped by cops all the time I don't think I need another excuse for them to pull me over ;)

With my previous Escalade I forgot what % tint they added to my front windows but for some reason it looked a lot darker than my new one. I'm not sure if it was because the truck was white so the contrast was a lot higher. However I do feel like the factory tint on my 2011 is slightly lighter than my 2007 but again it might be just my eyes playing tricks on me.

Have any of you guys added a tinted strip across the top of your windshields I don't know if I like that but it might help darken the cabin a bit more.

#11 ·
I did 30 on the rear and it matches pretty good..have had tint on all my vehicles since 1993 and never got pulled over once..the cops just hate when they cant see in at all and i dont blame them. if i get pulled over i open all the windows so they can see in. one time for inspection i left the passenger side closed with the tint removed and driver side down with tint. they never asked me close drivers window so all i needed to do is retint the passenger window.

#12 ·
So I know this isn't "my" section but I figured since the topic is tinting you guys might let it slide :hide:

If not, I apologize in advance. :duck:

Someone told me that I could try 15% on the front even though it's darker the light coming in front the front windshield will make it match the rear, has anyone done this?
I have!

I did 14% on my front windows to match the factory 20% on the rears. The 14% actually works out well because like you said, it compensates for the extra light that comes in through the windshield and sunroof, keeping it as closely matched as possible. I've been stopped once for it, but thankfully I've got the medical waiver. :contract:

#13 ·
Question, I had front tinted to match the factory rear. One thing I don't like is when you look out from inside, the rear windows are Chrystal clear, the aftermarket tint looks like a haze from the film. Are there different types of tint? I would like it to be clear like the factory. Is this possible?

#14 ·
I had 20% on mine. I got pulled over twice and got written up for $250.00 each time which is a moving violation here in MA that means insurance goes up etc and you have a risk of losing your license. I fought each ticket and won and I just lighten the tint up to the legal 35%. it wasn't worth the aggravation.....

#15 ·
Window tinting is a moving violation in MA? That's insane. :anibs:

I'm sorry to hear that. Here in VA the legal limit for fronts is 50% on cars and MPVs or you can get the waiver. Back windows are unregulated. We also luck out because all equipment violations here are secondary offenses and not moving violations, meaning the officer cannot stop you just for tinting or whatever. You have to be speeding/weaving/blow a red light etc. for them to stop you and then they can ticket you for b.s. stuff. Equipment issues here are luxury taxes.

What if the car you're driving with the "illegal" tint isn't yours? Couldn't you focus more on the dude doing 90 going by us instead of my windows? Excuse me for wanting to keep my leather and skin protected from the sun or for wanting to deter thieves since the Escalade is the most stolen car in America. (Or at least it was recently)

Now before I get to far into this, know that I have immediate family in law enforcement and I understand/agree with the officer safety argument. However, if that is the concern, then why don't they just make a law which states that when an officer approaches your vehicle, you must roll down your front windows? That should probably be a law anyway, then you would at least have a better idea of who is really trying to hide something.

Sorry I'll get off the soapbox now lol :protest:

#16 ·
You have to realize that tickets are just revenue for them. It's easier to write this Escalade a ticket than chase down real crooks.
Here in Illinois 50% is legal in the front. I have 35% on my cars but 2 years ago you couldn't tint the front windows at all, so I did 5% on the rear over the factory tint which darkened the interior nicely!

#19 ·
fivepix said:
My tint is as clear as the factory you might have a poorly installed tint? Have you used any products to clean your windows if you have that might have damage the film?
Nothing used to damage tint. The test is look out into bright light from inside. Factory is crystal clear, front tint has a haze best way to describe it. Both leaf and right are identical. Are there different types of tint? The factory tint is in the glass, could it be the thin film of adhesive that's on the tint?

#22 ·
I'm a Deputy Sheriff and I drive a Escalade and I have my windows tinted but you are still able to see inside. It's hard for civilians to understand about the tint but if you were out on the streets and in a bad neighborhood and you make a traffic stop you have no idea what's going on inside the vehicle or what they might have in there. Trust me if they had a law stating you had to roll down your windows when you were pulled over no one would do it , there's no common sense in people anymore !

#24 ·
Trust me it's possible here in MA I had a friend get a $1200.00 for his CLS500 also. I can understand why cops don't like it because of safety reasons etc. BUT don't take this wrong when I say this but if your driving a $75k SUV and a $100k Porsche or Benz and get pulled over chances are they are not going to whip out a gun and shoot a officer. It could happen but slim chances and I don't mean to sound like a dick.......

#27 ·
I had my doctor sign a PA form saying I need window tint, well want is more like it, and now if I get pulled over I show them the cert and nothing happens, I have to do this for each car/truck that is aftermarket tinted, never been pulled over since getting the state cert, go figure.

#28 ·
I have 15% up front & 15% over the factory tint in the rear. I've never had a problem with the police around here. Although, I have heard some stories about state troopers writing tickets & even scratching the front window tint so you pretty much have to remove it... I've tinted all I've my vehicles myself with 15% all the way around and never had any issues.

#29 ·
I have 15% on the 2 front doors which matches the rear factory tint and 45% on the windshield which is just enough to take the glare off of everything. I would like to have 5% all the way around with 35% on the windshield but that only lasted about a week on my last car before I got a ticket. I believe the law where I am states 25% is the darkest for the front windows but the Escalade has such big windows that the 15% isn't that dark and you can still see in the vehicle.

#30 ·
I have 5% on all side & rear windows and 15% on the moonroof which I love it keeps the truck cooler on the inside on them hot summer days. You can't see in the truck at all I got pull over on the highway about a month after I got it done because they could see the temp tag, the cop didn't say anything about the tint. They really don't bother about car tints here unless the cop just wants 2 be an azz.

#31 ·
Ive been away for a while but looks like you pretty much covered all the bases as to the tint and options. I'll just a couple more. First, any new tint job will appear cloudy for a few days but should clear up. Exactly how many will depend on the thickness of the film, the temp and it is important to the leave the truck in the sun to cure. Not curing properly can cause a haze and any small bubbles to remain. Second, the rear doors are not tinted, it is actually smoked glass but you get the point. If you install a film over the "smoked glass" you will reduce the incoming light again by the % of tint coming in from the already resuced %, thats how you get the fronts and rears to even out and why you see everyone saying they use X% on the fronts and a different x% on the rear. Any good tint shop can talk to you about this and get it right. The film is what is important as much as the installer. Use a good quality tint, its not that much more expesive. Again I've user the Huber Optiks for several years and its great. Google them, you see how it works and get a list of "Authorized Dealers" in your area. Last, Look at the box the installer is getting the film from and make sure its what you are paying for.

#35 ·
I used Huper Optik tint for years, now I use Johnsons tint now (they gave me a few rolls), they offer more "colors" to match factory tint better and it's only on my cars for a year or two, but you are correct it all about the installer, we see some real poor tint jobs even on high end cars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.