2009 Escalade is possessed with electrical demons!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, 2009 Escalade is possessed with electrical demons! in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I have been fighting a bizarre electrical issue since last summer. Three trips to the dealer have not resolved the ...
    LakeGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 Escalade Luxury

2009 Escalade is possessed with electrical demons!

I have been fighting a bizarre electrical issue since last summer. Three trips to the dealer have not resolved the issue. Anyone who has experienced the same thing, and found a resolution, please let me know.

Periodically while driving the vehicle electrical system begins to randomly 'pause'. It is most noticeable when using cruise control, as it will drop without any driver inputs. Often when this happens the radio also 'pauses'. Sometimes the cruise control will disengage when a turn signal is pressed as well.

Continuing to drive the vehicle causes things to progress. The 'pauses' will become more frequent, and will begin to display random warning lights (Stabilitrak, ABS, Airbag, etc.) Eventually the car gets to where it seems to reboot the entire electrical system while driving... DIC goes blank, radio quits, NAV screen shows the start-up screen, and often the transmission will downshift and doors will lock and unlock in rapid succession. The car then displays the typical start-up warning lights and the electrical systems seem to restart as though the key was just turned.

The concerning thing about this is it will all happen while driving at 65 or 70 MPH. Rather unnerving when it does all this on a busy interstate highway!

I've noticed the temporary fix is to shut down and power off the vehicle entirely. It may then be fine for the next 5 to 10 trips before it goes into this cycle again.

The first trip to the dealer they thought they had fixed the problem by finding a frayed wire in a harness near the emergency brake. The second time they found a "mega fuse" that was arcing. The third trip they found a code that caused them to replace the BCM. Unfortunately none of these efforts have resulted in a fix.

I'm getting extremely frustrated at the repeated trips to the dealer. It's still under factory warranty so they will gladly give it another shot but I feel like they are just randomly trying things at this point.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Re: 2009 Escalade is possessed with electrical demons!

Did you get rid of the Delco battery? Have had more than a few weird things happen with Delco batteries over the years

Not yet but after reading back through other threads comments are starting to point me toward the battery or cables.

This is starting to remind me of all the strange problems I had with an '06 STS. If the battery was off by just a bit all sorts of weird things happened.

The dealer said that if the body control module didn't fix it the next step is the powertrain control module. Not sure how that would help unless the PCM provides power to the BCM or something.

Quote Originally Posted by LakeGuy View Post
    Not yet but after reading back through other threads comments are starting to point me toward the battery or cables.

This is starting to remind me of all the strange problems I had with an '06 STS. If the battery was off by just a bit all sorts of weird things happened.

The dealer said that if the body control module didn't fix it the next step is the powertrain control module. Not sure how that would help unless the PCM provides power to the BCM or something.
    If it was my truck I would replace the battery and check the cables real good

K9Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 AWD Escalade Ultra Luxury Raven Black

I've actually had more issues with Optima batteries than I do with AC Delco ones. I'm on my 4th replacement yellow-top in less than 2 years. Seems like quality control is a hit or miss with Optima, I'd never buy from them again.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Sorry to hear this, LakeGuy! I understand how repeat dealer visits could be very frustrating, and I'm happy to research further if your next dealer trip leaves you with the same concerns. Please send me an email anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com with details like your full name, VIN, mileage, and involved dealership, and we can explore the options available to you.

Best,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

Quote Originally Posted by K9Caddy View Post
    I've actually had more issues with Optima batteries than I do with AC Delco ones. I'm on my 4th replacement yellow-top in less than 2 years. Seems like quality control is a hit or miss with Optima, I'd never buy from them again.
    What we have been finding is that we been getting shipped older batteries that seem to have been sitting around, check the dates, this has caused some issues for us for sure. I just put two Die Hard platinum batteries in my platinum truck, I had to it just went together, oh yea traded some Zaino for the batteries.

bstiffmanofsteel is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

Have them check the internal mode switch to the trans!

TexasAmber is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Escalade ESV

My 2008 Escalade is currently in the shop and did the EXACT same thing. Please let me know if you found a fix for the problem. The down shifting has happened twice to me going down the highway & this past time seems to have blown out an injector. Any help would be appreciated!

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasAmber View Post
    My 2008 Escalade is currently in the shop and did the EXACT same thing. Please let me know if you found a fix for the problem. The down shifting has happened twice to me going down the highway & this past time seems to have blown out an injector. Any help would be appreciated!
    Have you been to a dealership yet regarding this concern? I'm just an email away if you would like further assistance (see my email address above), and I'm sorry to see you've been experiencing this as well!

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

The vehicle continued to have the electrical problems after the 3rd visit and BCM replacement. This time, however, the reset killed the engine. Luckily I was at an intersection and not traveling down the highway.

I drove straight to the dealer and requested to speak to the service manager, who was out. I then asked for, and spoke with the general manager of the dealership. He listened to my story and said if I was interested in trading out of the vehicle he could probably get me some factory assistance.

Long story short, I selected a 2012 Escalade I liked, negotiated a very good deal on it's own, and then a couple of hours later the general manager called to advise that he was able to get several thousand dollars more than we had discussed to help with the trade.

I was very surprised that this seemed to be relatively easy to accomplish. I had not opened a case with customer service, filed with the BBB or arbitration or even given GM written notice of the problem. While I realize that I could have followed all of the protocols and tried for a full buyback I was happy just to get out of my 3 year old SUV and into a brand new one with a very good deal.

Have to say I am extremely satisfied with the actions of the dealer and GM. I just hope they find the problem as part of the 'assistance' they received entails that they have to fix and resell the car on their lot (can't auction it).

cadmanchris is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS,2007 STS V8
    From the description of the symptoms, it seems like a GMLAN problem. There is an extensive bulletin of places where these circuits tend to short. One common place that I have found is by the brake pedal. The wires rub on the pedal bracket. One other thing I've seen is the FPCM (fuel pump control module) take down the communication line also. Have your dealer check these things thoroughly. It's not an easy problem to fix, but a good electrical tech can narrow it down.
    hannity and hannity like this.

hannity is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2013 Porsche Boxster S, 2011 Range Rover Super Charged

Quote Originally Posted by cadmanchris View Post
    From the description of the symptoms, it seems like a GMLAN problem. There is an extensive bulletin of places where these circuits tend to short. One common place that I have found is by the brake pedal. The wires rub on the pedal bracket. One other thing I've seen is the FPCM (fuel pump control module) take down the communication line also. Have your dealer check these things thoroughly. It's not an easy problem to fix, but a good electrical tech can narrow it down.
    Nothing is worse than electrical problems in a vehicle. Thanks for posting this, I'm sure you will send people experiencing this in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by LakeGuy View Post
    The vehicle continued to have the electrical problems after the 3rd visit and BCM replacement. This time, however, the reset killed the engine. Luckily I was at an intersection and not traveling down the highway.

I drove straight to the dealer and requested to speak to the service manager, who was out. I then asked for, and spoke with the general manager of the dealership. He listened to my story and said if I was interested in trading out of the vehicle he could probably get me some factory assistance.

Long story short, I selected a 2012 Escalade I liked, negotiated a very good deal on it's own, and then a couple of hours later the general manager called to advise that he was able to get several thousand dollars more than we had discussed to help with the trade.

I was very surprised that this seemed to be relatively easy to accomplish. I had not opened a case with customer service, filed with the BBB or arbitration or even given GM written notice of the problem. While I realize that I could have followed all of the protocols and tried for a full buyback I was happy just to get out of my 3 year old SUV and into a brand new one with a very good deal.

Have to say I am extremely satisfied with the actions of the dealer and GM. I just hope they find the problem as part of the 'assistance' they received entails that they have to fix and resell the car on their lot (can't auction it).
    Glad your problem was taking care of, GM replaced my second 2007 Escalade that exploded in my garage and then some in record time, can't say enough good things about the GM service I receive, it's better than many of my Euro cars for sure

After speaking to one of the managers at the dealership I found out that Cadillac has a program that dealers can access when they have vehicles with persistent problems. I guess it is some sort of a customer retention program. If they can get the vehicle qualified then GM will provide the dealer with up to 10% of the original invoice cost of the vehicle as trade assistance to get the customer out of the vehicle and into a new one. The constraints are that the dealer has to repair the vehicle then only receives the assistance upon retail resale.

I had no idea such a program existed but I'm very glad it does. The program achieved it's objective, turning an upset customer into a satisfied one, and ended up allowing the dealership to keep a customer and move a new 2012 Escalade.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.