Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Dealerships - The good and the bad

46K views 89 replies 67 participants last post by  SoCalESV 
#1 · (Edited)
Dealerships - The good ones and the bad ones

People mostly complain about poor dealership service, but every once in a while there are actually dealers that go above and beyond. Lets create a thread and get these dealers some attention. Hopefully the good dealers will get some extra customers and the not so good will be forced to change their tactics.

If we are fortunate enough to have to have multiple pages of dealer reviews, one can use the forum search box to search by name of dealer or city to see if anyone has posted any info.

Don Thornton Cadillac in Tulsa OK has always treated me right.

Huber Cadillac in Omaha NE I would say also treated me right, although I had an issue once or twice they did make it right.

Vaughn Automotive IA salesmen were a little sketchy but called me back to seal the deal after I walked out.

So lets hear it people, the good and the bad. Try to keep it short so its an easy read.

See less See more
#61 ·
Well, I called Suburban Cadillac in Lansing, MI, also known as Capitol Cadillac. Now I know where NOT to go. Spoke to Mr. Woodworth at the service department. Worst experience ever. Won't ever set my foot in the door. He quoted in excess of $400 to take the truck for a spin and have a look at the suspension. I would gladly pay $100 or even $150, but $400+ is outrageous. The service manager was also rude. Too bad that's the only dealership around here.

#65 ·
Hello JD,

I am sorry that your recent service interaction was not quite the most ideal experience. Additionally, we want you to feel that you are receiving the best possible treatment. I am here if you would like me to connect you with a preferred dealership to look further into your suspension concerns. Lastly, please send me your VIN, mileage, phone number, full name, and how far you are willing to travel so that I may assist further. I hope the weather is nice for you in Lansing and enjoy your day!

Sincerely,

Brandon M.
Cadillac Customer Care

#64 ·
Totally agree but believe it or not I've been turned down by a Chevy dealership (who has Escalades in their lot) for some warranty and non-warranty work on my Escalade. I had the interior door handle chrome peel issue and was getting them replaced under warranty. They said they don't like working on Cadillacs since they primarily have Chevy's. I told them it was the same part # for Tahoes and they still told me no. I also wanted them to check into a dash rattle (not covered under warranty) and they said no.

That was Roberts Chevrolet in Platte City, MO (just north of Kansas City).

#66 ·
I went to Sewell to buy a new car. They had the exact color, and options I wanted. I flew in from across the country. When I get there to take delivery, the car was in the body shop being painted !! They noticed the damage that morning. I stuck around, maybe... possibly the paint repair would be good. After 3 hours, the car comes out of the paint shop, and the salesmen & I agreed the repair was clearly visible.

Long story short, I didn't buy the car. Sewell was absolutely apologetic, and covered all my expenses. I lost time from work, but at least they were standup about it, and paid for my airfare, and hotel.

#73 ·
I have had the opposite experience with Williamson Cadillac Service Department in Miami. They have the WORST customer service ever, no status updates even after having my vehicle in service for almost 2 weeks. Have had to go back for the same repairs multiple times because they can never get it right the first time.On top of that they scratched up the front bumper on my Escalade in multiple places. They had the audacity to say it was there even though I had gone over the car with the service advisor and there was no damage when I dropped it off.

I can't comment on their sales department since I have not purchased a car from them, but I warn everyone to STAY AWAY from their service department.

#71 ·
Kristal Auto Mall in Brooklyn NY has sometime done right by me and sometimes not. Unfortunately due to the lack of dealerships in the NYC area, have no choice to go there and after today will make the trip to NJ going forward.

1st time had issue with them is when my car got vandalized (nav got stolen) and I asked for them to install a shock sensor for the alarm for free and even brought my issue to Cadillac directly. We are talking about an under $100.00 part that should be factory installed (but isn't) on a $70k+ car. But both dealership and Cadillac said no. i was devastated by the BS that both the company and the dealership gave. I financed the car from this dealership just 6 months before.
The nice salesman who gave me a ride home that day, promised to get my $200.00 Ray Ban's out of the car so they wouldn't go missing, wasn't there when I picked up the car, and was never there afterwards and eventually was no longer working there. We did get a free rental, after the issue with the shock sensor I think they gave it to me in order not to get into another argument with me. Doesnt' help that my CD case went missing but that could've happened during the vandalism, just don't remember.

The 2nd time my Escalade got vandalized (2 of 4 wheels got stolen) they were great. They were very sincere. The auto body that dealt with fixing the car had to give me aftermarket parts due to my insurance and what they were willing to pay for. He ended up giving me the center cap locks for free. Also, OnStar was the biggest savior of all. The tow truck company spent hours trying to hitch it and kept the car overnight before bringing it to the dealership and OnStar paid for it all no questions asked!!!

Now I have since moved and still make the trip to Kristal and believe after today, if I keep the car past its factory warranty will be brining it to a non-Cadillac mechanic. I think the Dealership may have gotten over on me with a rear door handle which stopped working. They showed be my sons toy that they claimed came out when they opened up the panel. Now since they claimed it wasn't a default, was charged $200.00 to have it fixed. Now that I am home, I realized on this forum that the door handle issue is a thing, and the toy in question, an arm from one his darth vader toys is thicker than two pens put together. Well I don't if its worth fighting with these guys since I already paid for the work, however I am never ever stepping foot into that dealership again.

Also, in the last 2 years I have steered 2 of my friends away from leasing this car, and last week told my work friend to get a Lexus instead.

#75 ·
I'm sorry to have to post something bad but here goes. I recently bought a 2007 Escalade and wanted to be sure everything was done right. I do some work on my vehicles but I wanted the dealer to have a crack at it first. I knew I needed a rearview camera. I went to McLaughlin Cadillac, IL to get the price. The service rep told me they had to dialogize it first ($52) then told me that I needed a rearview camera. I also had them replace the right rear TPMS. They only had rubber ones so I'm driving with one black and three metal valve stems. Found a set on Amazon that afternoon. I asked them to put hydrogen in the tire but they had no machine to do it. Riding around on three tires filled hydrogen and one with air. I'm not going back there.

#83 ·
Since i bought the 08 Escalade ESV 2WD, I have had periodic CEL''s all p0446. I know this is an EVAP issue. probably one of the solenoids, and that it doesn't affect the running of the engine. I usually turn it off with the scanner after checking that it is only code.
This year it is time for the damn CA smog to renew my tags and I know they will not pass it. So, seems simple enough, I take it to Victorville Cadillac Chevrolet. I make an online appt with a description of what I wanted fixed. The "service advisor" wanted to argue that they would do their own diagnosis. I repeat that I know the car and what is wrong and I want the EVAP. system checked and fixed, simple and quick stuff.
4 hours later, he tells me they have diagnosed the problen and I need a fuel pump that they will have to order and it will be $1,000.00!
I say "No" to give me the car back. Another hour later, the car appears and they charge me $189.50.
If the fuel pump were the cause of p0446, it sure has run well for the last 49,000mi and continues today. No mention of fuel pressure or the fact the car starts right up immediately and accelereates with great gusto.
Needless to say, Victorville Cadillac lost a repeat customer and I am filing a complaint with the CA Bureau of Auto Repair which has always helped me on 2 occasions in the last 10 years or so.
I will take it to a mechanic with whom I have had good experience with other cars in the past. I may buy the solenoids and try changing them myself before doing that.
My 06 4dr Sierra pickup had 313,000, never changed the fuel.pump. My Impala SS had 400,000+ and never needed a fuel pump.
These dealers don't have real mechanics and it is just infuriating. All they want to do is generate $1000 unnecessary work. They figure average Escalade owner knows nothing about cars and will believe whatever they tell them.
Decades ago, my BIL was out of work as a house painter and got a job as a mechanic at Beverly Hills Lincoln Mercury. He said it was common practice to cut hoses and belts on newish cars still under warranty. They would replace them and charge it to the warranty and the customer never knew! Incredible.

#84 ·
SSA. Sad service advisor. Odds are your fuel pump was on its way out if over 100k. Mine’s shot at 152k. The formula is that they’ll correct that first because it immobilizes your truck. Both you and I know the game and can avoid it by being savvy and assertive.

To the dealership we’re just another fish that swam by the service department. They keep the S/A employed there because his tactic works most of the time. In my case, at Allen Cadillac in Laguna Niguel off the 5, the S/A prolonged his tactics because we had an (unused) service contract he knew he could spike because it had never paid a claim. Dan Vega took the initial $3k gift out S/C paid on our 08 YXL Denali AWD. The next visit he attempted to bill them full retail plus some. They resisted and he tried to pass the cost to us. Then he did it again.

Ultimately after getting on the phone w/ a S/C admin in Napa, CA we discovered he was inflating part prices to extort both of us. $1,000.00 for an oem, new alternator installed. He denied it, the dealer Princiapal backed him up and he said “some people with older cars are really shocked when they have to pay for repairs after the warranty is over”. To my surprise I earned respect from his coworkers when he got my elbow passing by me. The clown walked side by side with customers up a staircase and expected me to walk back up to let him by. I stopped. He continued by me like was invisible and sandwiched me, thus, the elbow.

I confessed to another S/A later when I complained to the owner about his extortion tactics with my S/C admin. They knew. He was protected by the dealer or immune from bad behavior. I’ve found a a diesel indi tech that blows the dealerships knowledge base away. I haven’t been back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#85 ·
SSA. Sad service advisor. Odds are your fuel pump was on its way out if over 100k. Mine’s shot at 152k. The formula is that they’ll correct that first because it immobilizes your truck. Both you and I know the game and can avoid it by being savvy and assertive.

To the dealership we’re just another fish that swam by the service department. They keep the S/A employed there because his tactic works most of the time. In my case, at Allen Cadillac in Laguna Niguel off the 5, the S/A prolonged his tactics because we had an (unused) service contract he knew he could spike because it had never paid a claim. Dan Vega took the initial $3k gift out S/C paid on our 08 YXL Denali AWD. The next visit he attempted to bill them full retail plus some. They resisted and he tried to pass the cost to us. Then he did it again.

Ultimately after getting on the phone w/ a S/C admin in Napa, CA we discovered he was inflating part prices to extort both of us. $1,000.00 for an oem, new alternator installed. He denied it, the dealer Princiapal backed him up and he said “some people with older cars are really shocked when they have to pay for repairs after the warranty is over”. To my surprise I earned respect from his coworkers when he got my elbow passing by me. The clown walked side by side with customers up a staircase and expected me to walk back up to let him by. I stopped. He continued by me like was invisible and sandwiched me, thus, the elbow.

I confessed to another S/A later when I complained to the owner about his extortion tactics with my S/C admin. They knew. He was protected by the dealer or immune from bad behavior. I’ve found a a diesel indi tech that blows the dealerships knowledge base away. I haven’t been back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The point is that I brought it there to get the EVAP code p0446 cleared. A bad fuel pump does not throw a code. I didn't pay 189.50 not to get the EVAP repair done and code cleared so I can pass star smog. There is nothing wrong with the fuel pump and I did not pay that to be told there was.

#86 ·
I gotcha. I’ve been down that exact road and had identical results at the same dealer I mentioned. I made them prove their diagnosis and they were insulted I questioned it. After they tried the pull the bait & switch vs. what was recorded on the service order I shut them down by mentioning the Bureau of Automotive Repair or BAR.

Allen Cadillac literally tried to challenge or intimidate me into accepting their version of events. The S/A goal was to get me riled up and lose composure.

They tried to say I approved recommendations over the phone but I reminded them their v/m said something different and their copy of the S/O did not have a phone approval to do so. The “misunderstanding” resulted in my hiatus from that dealer for a decade. Yes, both times I felt like I needed a shower from all the slimy shenanigans they pulled. Best thing is to wash your hands of them and share your story like you did.

#87 ·
So my local go to is Markley GMC/Buick and Dellenbach Chevy/Cadillac in Ft Collins CO. Worked at Markley and probably still would if it payed more (they can't match oilfield) and bought a Tahoe many years ago from Dellenbach. They are both local/FAMILY owned not some huge conglomerate and I think that makes a difference. If you're traveling or in Amarillo TX go to Brown Buick GMC. They got me on the road the same day after my 07 Escalade blew a heater core hose. Asked them if they had the parts and if I got the truck there before they closed could the get me on the road that night after double checking with the tech they said yes and they did just that.

#89 ·
With the lack of Units on Cadillac Lots due to Micro Chip Shortages . . .

It appears the Service Dept. has been called upon to increase the Dealerships Profits . . .

What was normally a decent Service Dept. at my local Dealer . . .
Went all in hyper mode suggesting all sorts of crazy expensive items that needed to be done . . .
:rolleyes:
I have 7 - going on 8 year old Platinum 'bout to hit 130,000 miles . . .

I'll pay as go when things break . . .

Just the cuz the dealer that normally rolls 100 units a month is down to about 20 a month now . . .
That don't mean y'all got pick the pockets of yer Service Customers now . . .
Forehead Nose Chin Hairstyle Eyebrow

#90 ·
That is an excellent idea and at least partially explains the service ripoffs that seem to be on the increase. Another reason to steer away from dealer service. A couple of the independent mechanics that I trusted for years have retired/died in recent times. I am going to have to find someone new and it isn't easy.
I had another guy I had used for several years and thought we got along well. A few years ago, I had purchased a loaded 4dr Sierra pickup with an LM7 5.3. It started to.have an oil leak. I took it to him, he crawled underneath and said something like all these 5.3's have a block crack and you may as well junk this truck. I knew better and went to another shop. It was a leak in the filter mounting, simple fix and the truck made 313,000 with no problems. I never went back to the guy who told me to junk it. Maybe he just didn't want my business anymore. if so, it worked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.