Extra plug in Bluetooth VCIM install? (In an 07 Escalade ESV)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Extra plug in Bluetooth VCIM install? (In an 07 Escalade ESV) in Cadillac Escalade Forums; For several weeks I've been researching the threads and posts here to read up on installing a VCIM Bluetooth in ...
    christiff159 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Extra plug in Bluetooth VCIM install? (In an 07 Escalade ESV)

For several weeks I've been researching the threads and posts here to read up on installing a VCIM Bluetooth in our 07 Escalade ESV. On Friday I took the car into our local Cadillac Dealer to have them install and program a virgin 2011 CTS VCIM (part # 22796947, GEN 9.1) we bought from S1autoparts on eBay.

The techs there had never done this kind of install before and I ended up sitting in the car with them reading posts from my iPad Cadillac app to try and help. They were able to use Tech 2 to program the unit to my VIN no problem. The only catch we experienced and that I had never seen discussed anywhere on the forums is that there ended up being an extra plug from my car that didn't have a home in the new unit. The tech said it was most likely the OnStar GPS wire and the Bluetooth antenna was taking up the spot where that would normally plug in.

Bluetooth works great which was of course our main goal, but is it normal to have an extra plug that doesn't go into the new VCIM like this? I assumed the loss of OnStar was due to VCIM units that had been previously assigned to other vehicle VINs, but is this extra plug the actual cause why that service is lost in our vehicle years? Our OnStar light is red and doesn't connect to them when the OnStar is pushed.

Was there something done incorrectly during the install and we need to take the car back or should we just be happy the Bluetooth works? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: Extra plug in Bluetooth VCIM install? (In an 07 Escalade ESV)

Quote Originally Posted by christiff159 View Post
    For several weeks I've been researching the threads and posts here to read up on installing a VCIM Bluetooth in our 07 Escalade ESV. On Friday I took the car into our local Cadillac Dealer to have them install and program a virgin 2011 CTS VCIM (part # 22796947, GEN 9.1) we bought from S1autoparts on eBay.

The techs there had never done this kind of install before and I ended up sitting in the car with them reading posts from my iPad Cadillac app to try and help. They were able to use Tech 2 to program the unit to my VIN no problem. The only catch we experienced and that I had never seen discussed anywhere on the forums is that there ended up being an extra plug from my car that didn't have a home in the new unit. The tech said it was most likely the OnStar GPS wire and the Bluetooth antenna was taking up the spot where that would normally plug in.

Bluetooth works great which was of course our main goal, but is it normal to have an extra plug that doesn't go into the new VCIM like this? I assumed the loss of OnStar was due to VCIM units that had been previously assigned to other vehicle VINs, but is this extra plug the actual cause why that service is lost in our vehicle years? Our OnStar light is red and doesn't connect to them when the OnStar is pushed.

Was there something done incorrectly during the install and we need to take the car back or should we just be happy the Bluetooth works? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
    Good morning christiff159,

Hopefully you'll get some more feedback from the Cadillac community here. As this is a modification, it's difficult for me to contribute to the discussion aside from offer assistance if you decide to go back to the dealership to have this looked into again. Please let us know in a PM if you go this route and we'll be sure to follow up on the progress of the trip!

All the best,
    Sarah (Assisting Katie)
    Cadillac Customer Service

Eric Hagan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 Escalade
    Bump.
    Anybody?

cmassegee is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Escalade ultra luxury

Hi,

I just ran across your post while researching putting a new bluetooth vcim in my 2008 Escalade. I have seen a handful of different VCIM part #'s that supposedly work but can't find them anywhere however I did run across that same unit you mentioned (and from the same vendor). I just thought I would ask you a couple questions considering I would very much like to do the exact same thing.

1. Is everything still working normally? (i.e. it hasn't screwed anything up such as navi, etc... )
    2. Can you dial on your screen or do you pretty much have to just dial with your actual phone
    3. Ever get an answer about the extra wire (if it is just onstar then that would not matter to me as I don't want Onstar anyway).
    4. Did you have to buy the bluetooth antenna as well or did it come with that vcim

Thank you, Casey

Hi Casey,

I am more than happy to give you an update on the questions you have.

1. Everything in the console and all the functionality of the Nav, DVD system, and audio system work normally w/o any problems. The only thing we lost was the OnStar. Our mirror OnStar light turned red immediately after installing the new VCIM and has stayed red ever since.
    2. I can dial phone numbers and answer calls from both the console screen and my iPhone. When someone calls me, the radio mutes and the ring tone comes through the vehicle speaker system. I can either select "Accept" or "Decline" from the console screen. The only hiccup I've found is that if I select Accept directly on my iPhone, the call is automatically routed through my actual phone and is no longer audible through the speakers. The few times this has happened (usually the phone has rung while I've holding it - so my reflex is just to accept the call on the iPhone itself) I can easily move the call back through the car audio system by selecting "Source" on my iPhone call menu and then touching the option named "Vehicle". If you're familiar with an iPhone and the source button, you'll be familiar with this already. When the phone is not paired to the car bluetooth - the Source button only shows 2 options; iPhone and Speaker. When I'm connected to the Bluetooth, a third option shows automatically as "Vehicle". Which is pretty cool. However this ability to move a call from the car bluetooth, to my iPhone (great for when I need to get out of the car but still continue a call), or to the Speaker Phone option through my actual iPhone is not available on the console screen. It can only be done through the phone handset.
    3. The extra wire is absolutely the OnStar plug that comes from the car to the VCIM and allows OnStar to "see" your vehicle and run all its functions. After a myraid of calls to everyone and anyone who might possibly know - I have come to the conclusion that I screwed up by not checking to see that the new VCIM part I was ordering had the same # of ports or plug connections as the outgoing module. I've been told that if I'd bought an older VCIM module (pre 2011 - with the 4 plug connections) I would probably have retained my OnStar. But, ultimately my goal was quality bluetooth through my car audio system and I definitely got that, so I am happy with how everything turned out.
    4. The bluetooth antenna already came with that vcim module I ordered, so I didn't have to mess with that at all. Very convenient.

I hope this has been helpful for you. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

V/R,

Tiffany

Maliburider is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 EXT

Another note to this: I had an 2007 EXT that i also did the VCIM swap to get bluetooth which had the extra plug like yours and also turned red for onstar on the mirror. I later got in a wreck where the airbags deployed etc. As soon as it happened onstar emergency called me and was on the phone with me and knew my location, that airbags deployed etc. They didnt know my name but thats is probably because i bought the vehicle used to begin with and never paid for or signed up for onstar. It was great actually, just like the TV commercials. Even with a later purchased 2011 bluetooth vcim

Cadi_Dave is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac CTS

I wanted to install this VCIM on my 2008 CTS (without the bluetooth) option, but something in this thread cought my attention: "They were able to use Tech 2 to program the unit to my VIN no problem." Why do I need to use this "Tech 2" to program the unit to the car's VIN? Is this something I could do myself? Thanks, Dave.

It's my understanding from reading other threads and posts that the Tech 2 system is needed to program your VCIM (the OnStar piece) so it knows the make and model of your vehicle instead of the one it came out of. In my case the VCiM was from a Cadillac CTS. So for vehicle diagnostic checks thru OnStar and so OnStar support could direct emergency responders to the right vehicle it needed to be programmed. I am not sure how accurate this is - but you could maybe call OnStar or ask a dealer how critical this really is.

I did read posts from other users who didn't or couldn't get their new units programmed that OnStar listed them as the original VCIM owner vehicle and not the car they were driving. I hope this helps you!!!

David999 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I installed a 2011 VCIM #22794713 into a 2007 Escalade. First of all, blue tooth works great..... install was a 15 minutes piece of cake... However, the original VCIM had two plugs on back, one for cellular I gather and one for GPS. The new one no longer has a GPS plug as that area has been replaced with bluetooth plug. So, I left the GPS blue cable unattached....

Bluetooth perfect, but red light on onstar...

Dealer tried to flash VCIM, but used TIS2 and OnStar Activation Programming; upon entering 2007, it couldn't find the VCIM as Gen 6 is not authorized for earlier models... What should dealer do to flash unit, just Tech2 or is TIS required.

Is the red light because GPS cable is missing. I gather that the 2010's have a combined antennae... anyone had luck activating onstar without GPS antennae plugged in?

David999 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

After further research, it seems that the 2011 VCIM no longer has a GPS coaxial connection (blue color), only Violet (cell phone). My question is, does the 2011 VCIM no longer require GPS and instead obtains the GPS location through the NAV unit connection (on 2011 NAV models) or is the single coaxial antennae input on the 2011 VCIM, a dual antennaie input. I understand that for 2011 model year, changes were made to combine the GPS and cell coax connectors into one. In image below, lower right plug is for bluetooth

IMG_8294.JPG.

David999 - good question. I don't understand all the functionality of the NAV cable that you've asked about. Hopefully another forum member or customer support can answer that piece.

I retained all the Navigation features that were pre-existing on my 07 system when we switched to the '11 VCIM. I was under the impression that the unused cable from my vehicle that didn't have a corresponding plug on the '11 VCIM was exclusively an OnStar connectivity cable. Which is why I lost all OnStar capabilities after the switch. I assume that in actual '11 model Escalades the OnStar function is shared in the NAV cable hookup so an individual OnStar cable from the vehicle and a corresponding plug in the VCIM unit aren't needed. ???

bigdaddyvj@aol.com is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 cadillac escalade

I have 07 escalade and like to put a 11 vcim Bluetooth in it but I have 4 plug in back but the 11 have 3 plugs why is they 3 plug on the 2011 in will it work.

mrgoat is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I will first say i have been following several of these VCIM updates over the last several years but haven't installed one yet.

From my understanding, GM has changed from having multiple antennae to using a duplex'd signal that carries the GPS for nav and onstar on the same antenna. There is a thread on here somewhere about using a GM sourced signal duplexer to fix the issue.

I'll see if i can track it down.

Edit:

Here is the thread
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ahoe-vcim.html

The tool they use is EL-49903-3
    http://www.archivedsites.com/techlin...on-issues.html

computerman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Escalade

I recently did this upgrade on my 2008 using a VCIM from a 2011. There is only three plugs on your current VCIM (althought there is 4 connectors, 1 empty) and they will plug right into the new unit (which now only has 3 connectors). The difference is the new VCIM will have a spot for a bluetooth antenna and it needs to have the GPS and cellular antennas duplexed. Below is the link that I used to order the duplexer. After install, bluetooth working, green light for onstar and can use remotelink on my iPhone. Onstar just thinks my Escalade is a 2011 GMC Sierra.

https://gmspecialservicetools.servic...s.aspx?id=5661

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.