2007 Escalade- Pointers for a successful Bluetooth VCIM install
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, 2007 Escalade- Pointers for a successful Bluetooth VCIM install in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I successfully completed the Bluetooth VCIM install in my 2007 Escalade. Here are some pointers to help anyone out who's ...
    tommyloan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

2007 Escalade- Pointers for a successful Bluetooth VCIM install

I successfully completed the Bluetooth VCIM install in my 2007 Escalade. Here are some pointers to help anyone out who's thinking about it:

1. I also have a 2009 Silverado with nav and bluetooth, so I took the VCIM out of it to try in my Escalade.... and IT WORKED! The part number is 20783877. With so many different part numbers floating around, people even saying to use one from a CTS, I'm now starting to think ANY of them will work. (And 15106868 was the old non-bluetooth unit that I removed from my Escalade).

2. The VCIM in the Escalade is underneath the stereo, so you have to remove the whole stereo and climate controls, and then you'll see it down in there, laying flat. There's a loop around the rear of it holding it down, and two side hooks. Move the two side hooks outward and lift it up and toward you. For mine, the wires were so tight, I could not see the back to press the tabs and remove the plugs, but I finally found I could turn it sideways and remove the wire plugs.

3. The VCIM in my Silverado in NOT behind the stereo (I took it out for nothing, trying to find the darn thing). Simply remove the lower fascia panel directly underneath the stereo/climate controls and it's SUPER easy to access (not tough to get your hands in there like the Escalade).

4. I hit the Onstar button and it calls them (so, it seems to work fine). It said the system was INACTIVE but I'm sure if I was willing to pay, they'd have that system fully functional one way or another. The OnStar rep that answered thought I was in my Silverado since that info is obviously hard-stored in the VCIM.

5. After it was all installed, I started to sweat a little because it would not pair. I tried everything! When I hit the MUTE button on the steering wheel, it said "no speech detected" so I was thinking oh crap, the mic is not compatible. But here on the forum I found you have to hit the mute button, say UN-STAR (and no, I don't have an accent, LoL), it will reply "onstar ready," then you say "bluetooth," and then "pair." It will say the 4 digit pairing code and also display it on the dash display.

5a. (edited) Also on here, I found that if you're having a problem with the speech recognition (getting the error voice message "no speech detected"), you can hit the button with the phone symbol on the mirror, hit mute (on the steering wheel) TWICE, and it will skip having to say "Un-Star"... you'll be able to say "bluetooth" and proceed with the pairing.

6. Lastly, I read on here that people were putting in new Nav Discs to rectify their problem with not being able to pair. Based on #5, it's a waste of money. However, being that the disc is 5 years old, I called the toll free Nav Disc number, told them my dealer said my (fake) nav problem was traced back to a bad disc, and they said they would send me a new one for $199. I then asked for a supervisor, told them I had also received a postcard offering a new upgrade disc some time back, but I did not take advantage of it at that time because it was working fine, and they FINALLY agreed to send me a new one for FREE So, I will update everyone next week if the disc makes the pairing any easier.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: 2007 Escalade- Pointers for a successful Bluetooth VCIM install

Escapade is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '07 QuickSilverLade

Is an antenna separate with this? Where was it bought? Thanks

Being that I took the unit out of my Silverado, I already had the little antenna, but to take the unit in and out without breaking it, I took it off and then that was the last thing I put back on. Anyhow, as goes the part number on the actual VCIM, I think the part number for the antenna is not critical: if it plugs in, it will work. Just search eBay for the antenna, they're only like $25.

Quote Originally Posted by Escapade View Post
    Is an antenna separate with this? Where was it bought? Thanks

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Good info (though much of it has already been covered here in the past). One potential correction, removal of the climate controls is *not* necessary. I never took them out and while the access is tight, I have big hands and had no problem completing the task, in 100* Texas heat no less. Less things you remove, less opportunities for squeaks later.

Also, you had a very interesting and unique situation in that the other vehicle you removed the VCIM from was your own, with an active OnStar account. For anyone else, you should *not* expect working OnStar when you buy a VCIM online. Why? Pretty simple, you won't in most cases have any idea what the VIN number is of the vehicle it was removed from. So if it's not an active OnStar account, and the VIN numbers don't match between the VCIM and the vehicle, activation will be difficult, if not impossible due to the mismatch. I'm also not sure of what problems one would face in your situation with communication between the OnStar portion of the VCIM and the vehicle OBD system for check engine lights and the like. It would be interesting if you could trip a CEL somehow (maybe disconnect the MAF, something simple) and call OnStar, then see if they can still perform proper diagnostics. Another good test would be the vehicle lockout service. Of course, this is mostly for your own good since 99.9 percent of VCIM retrofitters won't be coming out of one of their own vehicles.

Punmax is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Can you stream audio via bluetooth?

CadX6 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 Audi TTS Prestige / 2013 Audi Q7 Prestige S-Line

Not in an Escalade (or any other current GM car that I know of) using the factory Bluetooth (not A2DP capable).

CWIKEXT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 EXT

Question. I installed an LG unit I got from eBay on my 07 EXT last November. Everything was working fine until a couple weeks ago. For some reason it no longer shows "Bluetooth" on the digital part of the dash above the steering column as it did before. It also no longer responds to my voice commands. It say's "no speech detected". I guess I am confused as to why it worked and now it will not. I pulled it all apart and the connections were ok. Can these units go bad? I am just baffled. Any suggestions?
    Thanks,

Escapade is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '07 QuickSilverLade

Quote Originally Posted by CWIKEXT View Post
    Question. I installed an LG unit I got from eBay on my 07 EXT last November. Everything was working fine until a couple weeks ago. For some reason it no longer shows "Bluetooth" on the digital part of the dash above the steering column as it did before. It also no longer responds to my voice commands. It say's "no speech detected". I guess I am confused as to why it worked and now it will not. I pulled it all apart and the connections were ok. Can these units go bad? I am just baffled. Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    So when you installed it did you have the blue coloured cabled unplugged? There are only two slots and i plugged in the brown cable and blue is left out... I get all the on star feature but still can't pair it........

jcmoney2452 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 escalade ext

I am having the same issue pairing the LG unit I purchased. It does not come up as an option on my iPhone 5 . I've tried several variations on OnStar, UnStar, etc but nothing seems to work. I have to push the phone button on the rear view mirror and then it just tells me the onstar phone number. Has anyone run into this or found a way to pair their phone if it doesn't show up as an option?

SpyShops NY is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Escalade, 2004 CTS, 2003 ESV, Now 2008 Escalade

I got the isimple is-gm655 does Bluetooth phone, Bluetooth audio, USB port for my Itouch or USB drive and a 3.5 mm jack. Also displays my pandora or any media from my phone on the nav screen. I could not be happier paid 250 at best buy even though u can buy online for almost half but I wanted it right away. It even has 2 aux inputs one for 3.5 or rca and one for spare, you can buy the HD radio tunner which I dont really think its worth it.

I leave my I touch connect to the USB port when I go on the car my phone connects automatically. When a call comes in the phone number is displayed on the nav screen. When someone calls me the radio switches to phone automatically even if I am on fm radio or cd. Works excellent the only thing you should get is a better. 3.5 mm mic bc the one the comes w it ain't that great, I used my Motorola mic from my old Motorola Bluetooth I installed the mic where the sunroof controls. You can even set the mic volume from 1-15 14 is the best setting. You hit the preset button on steering wheel to answer and hangup phone call.

I researched for almost a year and finally isimple came out with this nice product. Also there is a firmware update from isimple you need to get it. I love it. Sounds excellent no hissing.

I would have gotten the Gm Bluetooth module, but no Bluetooth audio, no good I want to be up to date with technology on my 75k truck. I dont want to mess with my onstar or OBD computer I want to stay original so the Isimple is the best bet for the new technology up date. I dont want to go though the hassle of ordering different onstar/bluetooth modules loose onstar and still not get bluetooth audio. I can even use my steering wheel controls and scan the stations on xtend fm app for iphone this is pretty cool. This is the best toy you can get for your car. I have my itouch plugged in all the time and I can change the playlists, songs using my steering wheel control.

jimmy88 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Hey spy just ordered the 655 connect for my 06 escalade,I keep hearing bad. Do you have in an escalade?what year?
    Thanks for any input.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.