2007 Escalade.... Bluetooth VCIM?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, 2007 Escalade.... Bluetooth VCIM? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I've read about several different options/opinions about getting a Bluetooth VCIM, but none specifically for a 2007 Escalade. Most of ...
    tommyloan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

2007 Escalade.... Bluetooth VCIM?

I've read about several different options/opinions about getting a Bluetooth VCIM, but none specifically for a 2007 Escalade. Most of them talk about retrofitting 2007 or 2008 Silverados or Tahoes, but I'd like to see if anyone has a FOR SURE vcim part number that I should be using. Again, I have a 2007 Escalade, fully loaded, with nav and OnStar, but no blue tooth. Also, aside from the VCIM and bluetooth antenna, will I need anything else? Does it automatically use the OnStar microphone? Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Re: 2007 Escalade.... Bluetooth VCIM?

This is one of *many* working part numbers. This has been covered in exhaustive detail, please use the search (I found it simply by typing the terms "VCIM PART")...

the antena is part # 15938939
    VCIM part # 20756237

Yes, it automatically uses the OnStar hardware for the phone.

tommyloan is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Hi Playdrv4me, thank you for replying. As I mentioned, I see TONS of other posts offering that part number, but I didn't find one that SPECIFICALLY said they did this swap in a 2007 Escalade; most posts say they did this swap in to other models, like into a Tahoe or Yukon. Second, that part number is no longer available. Per the link below, it's a discontinued part number and it's been replaced by 20833656, but if you search the forum for 20833656, nothing comes up. Sooooo... my question still stands, LoL

On a side note, I also have a 2009 Silverado with factory bluetooth, and in addition to the two microphones in the overhead console (the "OnStar" microphones), it also has an ADDITIONAL microphone in the headliner, directly above the driver's head. So when I was asking "is anything else needed" I was really asking if that additional microphone in the headliner was critical or not. I would imagine it makes things a lot more clear.

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm...-20756237.html

Thanks again,
    Tom

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

A couple of things...

First of all, whether or not the part number is discontinued is of no importance, as attempting to order this through the dealership or any so called "OEM parts website" will get you *no where*. They simply will not sell it you, and if they do, they'll want an exorbitant amount of money or just cancel your order later. Whatever part number you find out of the list of acceptable part numbers, buy it and use it.

Secondly, that particular part number came from a post where an individual mentioned that he had recently pulled it from his OWN Escalade and was selling it because he sold the truck. That's about as good a guarantee that it "works" as any. At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter what GM vehicle it came out of as much as the way it MOUNTS into the vehicle it is going into. So in that sense, it is best to get one that came out of a 2009+ Escalade in the first place, since the mounting brackets will be correct. The box itself interchanges between many different years and models.

As I mentioned, it's been covered exhaustively and you do not need anything extra. I had a Bluetooth VCIM in a 2007 and it worked perfectly fine. I don't even know where the microphone(s) were because it didn't matter.

CStradling24 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2005 STS, 2008 Escalade EXT

I think the microphone you are talking about is the air temp sensor, not actually a mic.

If you searched VCIM on thus forum and somehow found more posts about installing in 07 Danalis and Tahoes, you are doing something wrong as they are ALL OVER this forum. Both 07 and 08 Escalade story's.

Once you find the VCIM, you take out the radio, swap them out, make sure the antenna is installed on new one and your done. You have Bluetooth, and 99.9% of the time no OnStar

tonyhuesq is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

I wanted to add to this thread as I just finished the VCIM install in a fully loaded 2007 Escalade. A couple of things:

Time: Do not listen to anyone that says that it takes 15 minutes to do this install. That is simply not true. I don't care if you're a master at taking things apart or even a GM tech. If you have never taken apart the dash of your car, it will take you some time just to get the paneling off. The pins are extremely tight and you need to use enough force to lift the pins but not break them (remember they are plastic). That takes some experience and time. I would offer that it might take you about an hour (or more) to take off the paneling if you've never done it before. That is taking into account delays if/when you get stuck or if you can't seem to get a certain connection point off. That said, it does get easier as you do it more times. Again first time out, I would budget for at least an hour for just the paneling. There are threads already on here with pics that show you the connection pts and there are also videos on youtube that can help you. That is just the paneling. Taking out the nav unit and the vcim take time too and the connections for these are also pretty tight and in not so easy to work with areas. I would budget at least a couple hours to get this done if you've never done it before (and that is conservative). Putting everything back together takes a bit of time too. Especially getting the Nav unit back in flush. The wiring is very compact and you need to duck the wires into an opening that is rather hard to get to. Again, start to finish, this will take you AT LEAST a few hours. Anyone coming back on this thread or any other saying they did this start to finish in 15 mins is lying plain and simple.

VCIM units: This is where most of the debate is on this forum. Let me tell you, I've read every thread you can read on this and tried everything. At first I thought ANY GM vcim with bluetooth would work as long as it mounts properly like playdrv4me said above. Wrong. I bought a 2010 corvette vcim that mounts properly and it didn't work. The answer to this point blank is that you need a vcim unit from a GM truck for it to work in an Escalade so that means (Silverado, Avalanche, Traverse or another Escalade etc). Not any other GM midsized suv or car. I've seen the threads on here that say people have used a CTS vcim and while that may be true, the mounting brackets aren't the same on the unit and unless you want to cut the metal brackets on the cts vcim unit, it will make the install that much harder. I used a VCIM from a 2010 Traverse (part number 22794713 for the unit and 15938939 for the antenna) and it works. BTW, the bluetooth antenna part number is universal across the board. You must get a VCIM part from a GM truck from 2008-2011. The 2012 GM VCIMs use a flash drive and thus will not work with a 2007 Escalade as the technology is different. Very important point. Do not bother going to a dealer to help you with this. There was a bulletin sent out to all service departments warning them of this modification and to preserve the Onstar gravy train GM put the kaibash on getting a VCIM that doesn't match your vehicle's VIN. So again, don't waste your time with the dealer. I found my VCIM on ebay from Source1 Autoparts and BTW, they are fantastic. Super fast shipping and customer service is awesome. Highly recommend them if you're looking to do this install.

Removing old vcim and Installation: Again, this install does take some time. Be very careful not to break the connection pts on your paneling. Use a plastic tool to help you get underneath the paneling. You want to use plastic over metal so that you don't scratch your interior or the paneling. Important. Removing the paneling is a methodical process and you need to make sure you are applying pressure at the right pts so that you don't break your wood grain paneling. Again, look on youtube or here for pics and vids. Removing the nav unit is relatively straightforward. The bolts are easy to work with (again videos on here and youtube). However, be careful with how you handle them as they can fall behind the dash (remember, your dash is open at this pt) and it is a pain to get them. Make sure you have a good handle on them when unscrewing. Once the nav unit bolts are unscrewed and you have the nav unit pulled out enough to see the wiring its time to pull all the wires out of the nav. The wiring for the navigation unit looks relatively simple to get out. However, these are very strong connection pts that take some force to get out. Especially the black and blue locking connector (third connection to the nav from right to left vantage pt). Be patient with these and do not pull too hard as you might damage the wiring. Once the nav is out, the you should see the vcim. It is silver, locked in place with two mounting clips on either side (there are numerous threads on here with pics for reference). Simultaneously push those out while pulling the vcim up. This takes some practice. Once out, remove the connections (see pt above about connection pts being tight). Install the new VCIM. It is tougher putting the new vcim in than taking the old one out. You have to make sure that you push the mounting pins outward while sliding the new VCIM at an angle. Sounds hard but it can be done with time and practice. Now, here is where there is alot of talk on the forum about connectors. If you use the Traverse VCIM there will be a blue connector that was connected to the old vcim that is left unplugged. For reference, this blue connector is Onstar's location services connection (i.e. this is how they know where you are to help you). There will not be a place to connect this (again using the Traverse VCIM that I used). You will not miss it as Onstar will not work anyway once this is done. The blue connection should be left out. Throughout this process it is important to always keep track (either mental note or writing down) where all of the connections go.

Testing: Once you have the new VCIM in, you should test the system BEFORE you put everything back together. Your voice detection button (right side of steering wheel) is the starting pt for this. You want to say "Un star" I know thats weird but it is the only way to ensure that the system recognizes what you're saying. The system will say Onstar Ready. Then you say bluetooth. System will say bluetooth ready. Then you start the pairing process. I could start an entirely new thread on the bluetooth functions so I'm not going to say too much more here there are other threads for that.

I posted this because I used a combination of a million different threads on here to get my install done right. This is the information that I felt was lacking on the forum. I appreciate everyone who has posted on this because it really helped me become knowledgeable on this install and I really wouldn't have even known about this procedure without this forum. This is the best option if you want bluetooth in your 2007 Escalade. There are other after market versions but they are not fully integrated. The best one is the Costar Bluestar device. But again, this is not fully incorporated with your existing system. The VCIM replacement is the best way to use what is already in your car. Callers show up on screen, you can use touch dialing etc...I hope this helps anyone looking to do this install. Best of luck. -tonyhuesq

MrHolland is online now Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Great write up!!!

LDiddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade

Tony,

Nice write-up. I have found the same replacement VCIM as you installed. I was just wondering if you installed a lock pick, and if so which one and does it interfere with the bluetooth operation at all.

Thanks,
    BL

jpatt49 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 Escalade

Even though my 2009 came with Bluetooth I read your write up top to bottom. You can't get a much better member than that who takes the time to explain something so thoroughly. Sometimes even though all the info is somewhere in the forum, it can be hard to digest and piece together.

djlex is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade ESV

Quote Originally Posted by tonyhuesq View Post
    I wanted to add to this thread as I just finished the VCIM install in a fully loaded 2007 Escalade. A couple of things:

Time: Do not listen to anyone that says that it takes 15 minutes to do this install. That is simply not true. I don't care if you're a master at taking things apart or even a GM tech. If you have never taken apart the dash of your car, it will take you some time just to get the paneling off. The pins are extremely tight and you need to use enough force to lift the pins but not break them (remember they are plastic). That takes some experience and time. I would offer that it might take you about an hour (or more) to take off the paneling if you've never done it before. That is taking into account delays if/when you get stuck or if you can't seem to get a certain connection point off. That said, it does get easier as you do it more times. Again first time out, I would budget for at least an hour for just the paneling. There are threads already on here with pics that show you the connection pts and there are also videos on youtube that can help you. That is just the paneling. Taking out the nav unit and the vcim take time too and the connections for these are also pretty tight and in not so easy to work with areas. I would budget at least a couple hours to get this done if you've never done it before (and that is conservative). Putting everything back together takes a bit of time too. Especially getting the Nav unit back in flush. The wiring is very compact and you need to duck the wires into an opening that is rather hard to get to. Again, start to finish, this will take you AT LEAST a few hours. Anyone coming back on this thread or any other saying they did this start to finish in 15 mins is lying plain and simple.

VCIM units: This is where most of the debate is on this forum. Let me tell you, I've read every thread you can read on this and tried everything. At first I thought ANY GM vcim with bluetooth would work as long as it mounts properly like playdrv4me said above. Wrong. I bought a 2010 corvette vcim that mounts properly and it didn't work. The answer to this point blank is that you need a vcim unit from a GM truck for it to work in an Escalade so that means (Silverado, Avalanche, Traverse or another Escalade etc). Not any other GM midsized suv or car. I've seen the threads on here that say people have used a CTS vcim and while that may be true, the mounting brackets aren't the same on the unit and unless you want to cut the metal brackets on the cts vcim unit, it will make the install that much harder. I used a VCIM from a 2010 Traverse (part number 22794713 for the unit and 15938939 for the antenna) and it works. BTW, the bluetooth antenna part number is universal across the board. You must get a VCIM part from a GM truck from 2008-2011. The 2012 GM VCIMs use a flash drive and thus will not work with a 2007 Escalade as the technology is different. Very important point. Do not bother going to a dealer to help you with this. There was a bulletin sent out to all service departments warning them of this modification and to preserve the Onstar gravy train GM put the kaibash on getting a VCIM that doesn't match your vehicle's VIN. So again, don't waste your time with the dealer. I found my VCIM on ebay from Source1 Autoparts and BTW, they are fantastic. Super fast shipping and customer service is awesome. Highly recommend them if you're looking to do this install.

Removing old vcim and Installation: Again, this install does take some time. Be very careful not to break the connection pts on your paneling. Use a plastic tool to help you get underneath the paneling. You want to use plastic over metal so that you don't scratch your interior or the paneling. Important. Removing the paneling is a methodical process and you need to make sure you are applying pressure at the right pts so that you don't break your wood grain paneling. Again, look on youtube or here for pics and vids. Removing the nav unit is relatively straightforward. The bolts are easy to work with (again videos on here and youtube). However, be careful with how you handle them as they can fall behind the dash (remember, your dash is open at this pt) and it is a pain to get them. Make sure you have a good handle on them when unscrewing. Once the nav unit bolts are unscrewed and you have the nav unit pulled out enough to see the wiring its time to pull all the wires out of the nav. The wiring for the navigation unit looks relatively simple to get out. However, these are very strong connection pts that take some force to get out. Especially the black and blue locking connector (third connection to the nav from right to left vantage pt). Be patient with these and do not pull too hard as you might damage the wiring. Once the nav is out, the you should see the vcim. It is silver, locked in place with two mounting clips on either side (there are numerous threads on here with pics for reference). Simultaneously push those out while pulling the vcim up. This takes some practice. Once out, remove the connections (see pt above about connection pts being tight). Install the new VCIM. It is tougher putting the new vcim in than taking the old one out. You have to make sure that you push the mounting pins outward while sliding the new VCIM at an angle. Sounds hard but it can be done with time and practice. Now, here is where there is alot of talk on the forum about connectors. If you use the Traverse VCIM there will be a blue connector that was connected to the old vcim that is left unplugged. For reference, this blue connector is Onstar's location services connection (i.e. this is how they know where you are to help you). There will not be a place to connect this (again using the Traverse VCIM that I used). You will not miss it as Onstar will not work anyway once this is done. The blue connection should be left out. Throughout this process it is important to always keep track (either mental note or writing down) where all of the connections go.

Testing: Once you have the new VCIM in, you should test the system BEFORE you put everything back together. Your voice detection button (right side of steering wheel) is the starting pt for this. You want to say "Un star" I know thats weird but it is the only way to ensure that the system recognizes what you're saying. The system will say Onstar Ready. Then you say bluetooth. System will say bluetooth ready. Then you start the pairing process. I could start an entirely new thread on the bluetooth functions so I'm not going to say too much more here there are other threads for that.

I posted this because I used a combination of a million different threads on here to get my install done right. This is the information that I felt was lacking on the forum. I appreciate everyone who has posted on this because it really helped me become knowledgeable on this install and I really wouldn't have even known about this procedure without this forum. This is the best option if you want bluetooth in your 2007 Escalade. There are other after market versions but they are not fully integrated. The best one is the Costar Bluestar device. But again, this is not fully incorporated with your existing system. The VCIM replacement is the best way to use what is already in your car. Callers show up on screen, you can use touch dialing etc...I hope this helps anyone looking to do this install. Best of luck. -tonyhuesq

Hello,
    You say you have touch dial option? How does that work? You can dial the number onscreen?
    Thank you!

Dguinessd is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade

I just completed the VCIM swap in my wife's escalade. It took about one hour, including setting up my phones. Tony's detailed info was extremely helpful. Also helpful was a video I found on youtube. The video is listed as "how to remove a radio from a 2006 Cadillac Escalade". The guy that downloaded the video made a typo. The vehicle he is working on is a 2007-12 escalade. Thanks everyone for all the info!

slaglejava is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 Escalade

My problem is I don't have the button on my steering wheel. Do I need to add a button?
    I tried pushing the button on the console and the one on the mirror. The help menu does not have an option for bluetooth.
    The module is out of 2009 Silverado and the antenna is connected. Everything else works, except now I am a Silverado.

slaglejava is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 Escalade

Cool Re: 2007 Escalade.... Bluetooth VCIM?

I solved the button problem. I thought the button on the steering wheel was to mute the radio. If I hold it a few seconds it receives voice commands. Maybe I should read the operators manual.

BillyDaKid is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 EXT

I just started working for a company that has been making a kit for year that allows you to have Bluetooth in your 07 or 08 Lade. Here's a link to the kit: http://www.rostra.com/con-verse-by-r...-bluetooth.php

I don't know how much it cost, or where it's sold. I'll find out where and post it.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

get them to advertise here ...
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.