Drl on with parking lights - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Drl on with parking lights in Cadillac Escalade Forums; The purpose of the diode is it acts like a check valve. It only allows power to go from the ...
    Eric Hagan is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 Escalade
    The purpose of the diode is it acts like a check valve. It only allows power to go from the parking light relay to the drl. No power will go the opposite way from the drl to the parking lights. So if it's noon and the sun is shining and the truck wants the drl to be on, the diode will not let the power get to the parking lights so they will not be on unless you override the auto controls to manually turn them on. Does that make sense?
    Attached Images

Big Windy Ext is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Caddy EXT

Re: Drl on with parking lights

Did you do it at the lights or the fuse box? I have all leds except fogs I put in 55watt hids w/relay. I have been looking to have my drl lit when my headlights are on. Looking forward to seeing how you did it.Thanks!

stater02 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade, Luxury Trim

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Hagan View Post
    The purpose of the diode is it acts like a check valve. It only allows power to go from the parking light relay to the drl. No power will go the opposite way from the drl to the parking lights. So if it's noon and the sun is shining and the truck wants the drl to be on, the diode will not let the power get to the parking lights so they will not be on unless you override the auto controls to manually turn them on. Does that make sense?
    This makes sense. And If I understand it correctly, what I really like about it is that simply turning on your fogs, as I always do, will turn everything on. If I'm wrong, let me know.

prosseda is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade EXT 2009 Platinum ESV

Could not find a relay anywhere and nobody was any help.

I got it done though. One 3" wire and a diode works perfectly. No cutting splicing nothing. SWEET. AND EASY TOO.
    I have them come on with the fog lights, not the parking lights. I could do either the fogs, Hids, or the fogs, and I chose the fog lights.
    Which DRL LED's did you use? The color match looks perfect. Although I can't see them lit by themselves, the output looks good too.

Vleds 28 led 6k 13watt. They are supposed to be brighter than the 60 something ones. I'm running vleds but a different part number in the fogs also the same output and color.

quattrotman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 Escalade EXT

Ya that makes sense. Never used one but i understand the idea. If yours is set up with the DRL to come on with the fogs (I'd like to do the same) how exactly is that wired and did you do it at the lights or fuse box?

prosseda is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade EXT 2009 Platinum ESV

Vleds 28 led 6k 13watt. They are supposed to be brighter than the 60 something ones. I'm running vleds but a different part number in the fogs also the same output and color.
    Thanks. I heard the bigger ones might not fit anyway but was worried about the brightness of the smaller ones. Your picture sold me.

Ok here's the pics on how to setup the diode, powering the DRL with the fogs, and powering the DRL with the parking lights.

I do recommend already having all of your lights changed over to LEDs due to the fact they use less power than the incandescent bulbs before doing this.

I do recommend installing the diode. The purpose of the diode is to prevent the DRL from powering the parking light or powering the fogs when it's daytime and the truck wants to run the DRL. I'm not sure where the relay is that switches on the DRL so I don't want to chance burning it up. The relays for the fogs and parking lights are in the fuse box in the pictures below. Don't take any chances and use the diode!!

Items needed.

1- 200v 6 amp generic diode less than a dollar. I got this from hutchandsons.com there store is local. You should be able to score one at RadioShack or a electronics store locally.

1- test lead or jumper wire. 14 to 16ga fine stranded very flexible wire

Solder gun

Heat shrink

Pay very close attention to where I have the wires landed. THIS IS IMPORTANT!! If you do not land the wires exactly like mine in the picture, the wire in side the fuse box will not be fused.

All of the lights will still be fused and all of the wiring is still fused hooking the wires up exactly like mine. PAY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THE PICTURES!!

NOTE: the arrows I have drawn on the picture pointing to the fuses are only to help you locate the fuse. Do not land the wires where the arrows point. Land the wires exactly where mine are landed in the picture.

When putting the diode together with the wires and soldering and then installing the heat shrink, pay attention where the mark is on the diode so you know which way it's to be installed. If you install it backwards the lights will not work as intended. The power will only flow one direction. Check out the picture below of the diode with the mark. I have it noted which way the power goes. You want the power to go from the fogs to the drl fuse if you want it that way and the same if you want the drl to come on with the parking lights. Power goes from parking lights or fogs which ever you chose to the DRLS.

All you have to do to land the wire is pull the fuse noted and push the wire into that terminal. Do not twist the wire. Try to make it flat like a terminal and insert it into the hole and then push the fuse in. This will hold the wire in and make contact with that end of the wire and the fuse. Make sure no loose strands are exposed that might bypass the fuse.

ENJOY
    I have tested both ways and it works perfectly.

Eric Hagan
    new york city likes this.

quattrotman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 Escalade EXT

You da man! Nice work! Gonna try this soon. Thanks for all the info!

Big Windy Ext is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Caddy EXT

When you do the parking to fog did you lose your intellebeam,that is the one thing about running the fogs is the loss of high beams,it makes sense that if its foggy you don't want them to come on but I like the extra light during normal night driving . Thanks again for posting the Poor Mans LED headlights lol

Quote Originally Posted by Big Windy Ext View Post
    When you do the parking to fog did you lose your intellebeam,that is the one thing about running the fogs is the loss of high beams,it makes sense that if its foggy you don't want them to come on but I like the extra light during normal night driving . Thanks again for posting the Poor Mans LED headlights lol
    I didn't do parking lights to the fogs. Only parking lights to power the drl. And fogs to the drl. You could do Parking lights to fog if wanted. Will not due anything to affect the intellibeams unless you manually turn the fogs switch on. Does this make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Windy Ext View Post
    You got my gears turning windy ext and I'm going to Hook my fog light relay and the headlight relay coils up. So if the headlights are on the fogs will be on. So no pressing the fog light button period. So I will have fogs, intellibeams activated, and the DRLS on also. I will post the picks and which terminal on the relays to hook up to.

I will like not having to hit the fog button every time I drive at night and I forgot all about the intellibeams it's been so long since I drove at night without my fogs on!! 😁

Bunty is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 Escalade AWD Premium

You got my gears turning windy ext and I'm going to Hook my fog light relay and the headlight relay coils up. So if the headlights are on the fogs will be on. So no pressing the fog light button period. So I will have fogs, intellibeams activated, and the DRLS on also. I will post the picks and which terminal on the relays to hook up to.

I will like not having to hit the fog button every time I drive at night and I forgot all about the intellibeams it's been so long since I drove at night without my fogs on!! ��
    This sounds awesome, let me know how that goes because I'd like to have all on and still keep intellibeams.

Well I've done it and the intellibeams work perfectly.
    It's so bright now with the DRLS on and fogs and the high beams on it's awesome.
    Never even have to hit the fog switch again. Everything works perfectly.

Bunty is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 Escalade AWD Premium

Well I've done it and the intellibeams work perfectly.
    It's so bright now with the DRLS on and fogs and the high beams on it's awesome.
    Never even have to hit the fog switch again. Everything works perfectly.
    Cool so you didn't do anything different from what is shown in your post with the pics right? I want a wire from the headlight to the fogs and another from the parking to the DRL.

This won't overload anything right?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.