08 Escalade Engine Knock
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, 08 Escalade Engine Knock in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hello, My 08 Escalade has developed an engine knock when cold. It is very loud and pronounced and sounds like ...
    tdeboer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 12 SRX Premium, 12 Escalade ESV Luxury

08 Escalade Engine Knock

Hello,
    My 08 Escalade has developed an engine knock when cold. It is very loud and pronounced and sounds like one cylinder is affected. You only hear it while accelerating, not at idle, and it doesn't go away until approximately 5 minutes after the temperature gage has reached the 1200 position. Brought it into the dealership Monday to have to have it addressed. Received a call the next morning from them and talked to a manager. He said the oil level was below minimum and the oil filter was leaking. I know this to be false as I just checked the oil level before the trip to the dealer and there was no oil leaks under where it was parked. He also stated that the oil needed to be changed before they could go any further as the OLM was at 3% and the oil was like water. I said yes, I was going to change it before my next trip and that the oil I use is a full synthetic. He told me that engine is not designed for synthetic oil. I found that interesting since the factory fill I believe for that year was Mobil 1. Anyway, I told him to do what he had to with the oil to get my truck fixed. Received a call this afternoon (Wednesday) from the service writer. Told me that a TSB issued October 3, 2011 says that the engine noise when cold is normal for those trucks. My symptoms are not the same as the TSB indicates, mine only knocks while accelerating. I told the service writer that and the manager I spoke with. They told me there's nothing else to be done with it and of course they're charging me $90 for the assessment and whatever for an oil change that I would normally do myself. I have not picked up the truck yet. I don't believe this is the same knock as the other complaints I've read on this forum. I travel for a living and do not want anything to happen while I'm on the road. A $70,000 plus truck should not hammer after after leaving the house, makes the neighbors not want one that's for sure.

Sorry for being so long but I feel like they are trying to find a way to not do anything.

Thank you.

----------

Oh yeah, in my rant I forgot to say where it is. Suttle Motors, Newport News, VA.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: 08 Escalade Engine Knock

I would check with another dealer. I think a second opinion would be a good thing to have in the situation. The next dealer may appreciate the business. Keep us updated.
    Breanne
    Cadillac Customer Service

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

definitely take it to a different dealer.

TinaDB is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    I have a 2007 escalade and that same noise has been going on for over 3 months. I am not getting any help with this matter. They told me to do a cleaning of the engine. Cost me 100.00. The sound is very loud and embarrassing. I took it to a second dealer and they said they didn't hear it. I am really annoyed at this point. What should I do. The service manager was no help at all as well.

I feel your pain. This is one of 4 Cadillacs that I have had and as much as it pains me, I think Cadillac has lost my business. Customer service at their dealerships has went by the wayside because of the almighty dollar. I have tried to justify my loyalty to myself but cannot do it anymore. Only way they will do anything is if it suffers a catastrophic failure and the problem is obvious. The dealership I spoke of in my first post will never ever see me again. Three of my friends who were about to buy Escalades are buying something else now because of my experience.

----------

I have got to add this. After the painful discussion with a manager about oil I spoke about in my first post, the oil they put in was part number 12345621, 10W-30! Not even one of the recommended oils! My all time favorite statement from him is still "this engine is not designed for synthetic oil". (factory fill was Mobil 1 full synthetic). This is what Cadillac has representing themselves to the consumer.

----------

And put a sticker on the windshield for another oil change in 3 months or 3,000 miles! I guess the oil life monitor doesn't mean anything. TinaDB, I hope and pray you have better experiences than I did. I am just so angry and frustrated with Cadillac and their dealers.

TinaDB,
    If you would send me your contact information (name, phone number, email address, address) along with your VIN number, mileage and the name of your local dealer. I would like to look into this for you.
    Breanne

Breanne,
    Would you like to look into my same problem as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc
    TinaDB,
    If you would send me your contact information (name, phone number, email address, address) along with your VIN number, mileage and the name of your local dealer. I would like to look into this for you.
    Breanne

Well it is in the shop for the night. First of all, I took it there and the service guy didn't want to drive it. I explained to him that the noise was happening right now and he said that he needed to do a oil change first. I said the noise has nothing to do with the oil. He revved the engine and I told him that he has to drive it. He said it may be a piston slap and that of it was that it was normal that I would have to deal with the noise. I said no, I don't have to deal with noise that has never been there before. He said it had nothing to do with the engine. I was like seriously. He said it was the engine loosening up for better gas mileage. I was like I am not an idiot. Something is wrong with my vehicle and I would like for it to be evaluated. He said that he would have to get an engineer to come down and look at it. I let him know to get whomever he needed to get it repaired. I told him that I shouldn't have to pay 70-80k for a vehicle and to deal with it. May neighbors asked me since when did I get a diesel. That's how loud the knocking is when I'm driving.

Thank you!!!

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc
    TinaDB,
    Breanne
    I forgot some information for you:

TinaDB, I took your personal info out of the post and pm'd it to Cad Cust Svc.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH
    TinaDB, I took your personal info out of the post and pm'd it to Cad Cust Svc.
    Thank you JimmyH!!

no problem

Tdeboer,
    If you would send me your contact information (name, phone number, address, email address) along with your VIN number, mileage and the name of your dealer I will look into this for you.
    Breanne

Breanne,
    I emailed you my information a couple days ago as I don't have the capability to pm. Thanks.

jsalgado1226 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

Hello everyone today is September 1st 2014. I own a 2007 Cadillac Escalade with non AFM 6.2 liter v8. I have been hearing the same knock described in this forum on my tuck for a few months now. I just took it in to the dealership where I work and had the master techs review it. Oh by the way I work for Chevrolet and we have had a few Escalades come through our shop and get new engines replaced. So i figured they would probably know what's going on with mine. They told me they would have to replace the cam shaft and put new lifters and fix some other miscellaneous items. So I went through with it had them put a new cam shaft, new lifters, new cam shaft bearings, new motor mounts, and replace the gaskets of course. Oh and we put new spark plugs and wires. This work cost me over 2000.00 dollars. Guess what ... I still hear the loud knock only when it is in drive and I accelerate in the morning after it is running. The earlier posts are right it sounds like it is a Diesel engine. Extremely embarrassing to pull up in an Escalade that only has 72,000 miles and new parts in the motor to sound like this. I am considering getting rid of this truck, hate to but I can't stand the noise. CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP! Any ideas on how to get rid of this noise without getting rid of the truck???
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________

Good evening, Your CF account is activated. Please update your profile to show correct age, location and vehicle information - and time zone - or do you really live in London - GMT ?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Dead thread moved from Cadillac Customer Care (warranty and dealership problems) to the proper Escalade forum.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.