Need help replacing front wheel hub bearing
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Need help replacing front wheel hub bearing in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Driving home from Thanksgiving this weekend I heard a pop in my left front wheel assembly and the brakes started ...
    WVESV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Need help replacing front wheel hub bearing

Driving home from Thanksgiving this weekend I heard a pop in my left front wheel assembly and the brakes started to make a grinding noise. My ABS light eventually came on. When I got home and took the wheel and brake assembly off...noticed that I could move the wheel hub up and down. It appears there is a bearing behind the hub and that the bearing has failed. I have the factory service manuals but they did not appear to show this area in detail. How do I get the hub off of the drive axle? There appears to be a cover plate behind the hub that is bolted to the spindle from the back side. Does the bearing sit behind this cover plate? Will I need to remove the drive axle to replace the failed bearing? How do you remove the drive axle? Are there special tools I will need...like to remove the hub from the drive axle? What is in there that may need to be replaced to repair the ABS system?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

prosseda is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade EXT 2009 Platinum ESV

Re: Need help replacing front wheel hub bearing

Did you know the whole hub has to be replaced. The new hub contains the ABS sensor. One 38mm nut comes off the center to allow the axle to pull out of the hub unless you have 2wd. Then you take two bolts off the brake caliper and remove it so you can pull the disc off. You may have one torx bolt holding your disc on. Handle the disc by the edges. Now with the disc off, only three bolts hold on the hub. If all you are doing is changing the hub, it could be done in less than 20 minutes.

Thanks for the reply. No, I did not know the whole hub has to be replaced. Do I have to remove the axle shaft to replace the hub? Is the hub pressed onto the axle shaft?

SouthernCaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV

No it is not pressed in. It has spines on it. You need to get a quailty hub. I would not do the cheap auto parts stores. I only use GM factory ones.

bstiffmanofsteel is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): NONE

I picked up one at NAPA for about $140 bucks back in February, no issues...

How hard was it to get the nut off of the axle shaft? Once the nut is removed and the 3 retaining bolts are moved, how hard was it to pull the hub off?

SouthernCaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV

Quote Originally Posted by bstiffmanofsteel View Post
    I picked up one at NAPA for about $140 bucks back in February, no issues...
    Napa is the only other place I would buy from. Gm being my first choice.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.