Trans Fluid Change Tips?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Trans Fluid Change Tips? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Anyone come up with a less messy procedure for changing the tranny fluid than dropping the pan while still full ...
    a016738 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Trans Fluid Change Tips?

Anyone come up with a less messy procedure for changing the tranny fluid than dropping the pan while still full of fluid?

I'll never understand why so few vehicles come with drain bolts...just makes no sense at all. And no drain on the rear diff?

-John

'07 EXT

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MrHolland is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham

Re: Tranny Fluid Chg Tips?

On most of my cars I have fashioned a brass "T" fitting on one of the transmission coolant lines. This allows me to open the "T" fitting with the engine running to pump the fluid out of the transmission while pouring fresh fluid in the top side of the transmission. I would recommend having everything set up in order to keep a constant flow of fluid moving through the transmission. If the system holds 12qts ill pour 10qts in it while its being pumped out of the bottom, shut the car of, close the "T" fitting and use the remaining 2qts to top it off. Its not an exact science but does seem to work pretty well. Good luck!!

luxurylife33 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 99 Escalade (sold) 03 Escalade EXT (sold) - 07 Escalade EXT

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...id-change.html

Did this on my 03 escalade and worked perfect!

Thats the same basic concept I use except the fitting is actually plumbed into the line and has a cap on the end. Here is a pic to give you an idea.

union-tee-fitting.jpg

K9Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 AWD Escalade Ultra Luxury Raven Black

Re: Trans Fluid Change Tips?

Another way of doing it using a fluid extractor. Drop a line in the dipstick tube and suck out the tranny fluid. Drop the pan and change the filter. No need for a valve or the risk of having a leak. Just suck it out every 10-15 miles and you will never need a flush. Here is an example:

http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7400-L...d_sim_sbs_sg_1

Hey, that's an idea...anyone else use this method or have an argument against it?

Looking to replace with synthetic fluid and running through 15 quarts of that stuff using the flush method seems wasteful as I'll be throwing a good amount of it right out through the drain pan to get the old stuff out.

On the other hand, using the pump and drain method doesn't get it all out either right? Always the stuff in the torque converter the you can't drain or suck?

Guess a flush is really the only way to get it ALL changed out?

-John
    '07 EXT

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Put a drain in the stock pan when you change the fluid, next time it's there

Quote Originally Posted by a016738 View Post
    Hey, that's an idea...anyone else use this method or have an argument against it?

Looking to replace with synthetic fluid and running through 15 quarts of that stuff using the flush method seems wasteful as I'll be throwing a good amount of it right out through the drain pan to get the old stuff out.

On the other hand, using the pump and drain method doesn't get it all out either right? Always the stuff in the torque converter the you can't drain or suck?

Guess a flush is really the only way to get it ALL changed out?

-John
    '07 EXT
    It probably is wasteful, but it seems to be an effective way for ME to change the fluid. I would imagine a transmission flush machine would do the same thing with or without starting the car. You are correct in saying that you cant get all the fluid out of the torque converter, it'll always be half full, (half empty if you're a pessimist) but I'm satisfied by flushing it. A couple of cases of trans fluid is much cheaper than a trans rebuild!!

Quote Originally Posted by mrholland View Post
    A couple of cases of trans fluid is much cheaper than a trans rebuild!!
    True...and I'm not doing it that often. I guess the flush really is the right way to do it.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and responses.

-John
    '07 EXT

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.