2007 Escalade ESV--Stalling/rough idle issues
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, 2007 Escalade ESV--Stalling/rough idle issues in Cadillac Escalade Forums; ...
    McGowansix is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV

2007 Escalade ESV--Stalling/rough idle issues

I own a 2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV with 43,000 miles and have experienced some of the same stalling and rough idle issues that Iíve read elsewhere on this site. On our way to a Father's Day vacation in June, our Escalade idled rough on two occasions while at a stop, but ran fine at speed on the highway. Twenty minutes later it died completely, on an uphill grade, in the middle of the highway. Just slowed to a stop and would not move. The Service StabiliTrak / Traction Control disabled message came on, but no check engine light. The engine died and I had to roll down the steep grade backwards, with no power, to get onto the shoulder and out of traffic lanes. I tried to restart it and it would crank/turn over but wouldn't fire.
    Our Cadillac was towed to the nearest dealership and spent 26 days there for repair. The technician tested it for a couple of days and told me nothing was wrong with it and that I would have to pick it up...that it started every time they tried. I asked if they'd taken it on the highway for a test drive and was told they hadn't done that. I had a 180 mile round trip to make just to pick up the Escalade and return home, so I asked that they take it on a lengthy test drive to be sure it was ok before I picked it up. He said they'd complete the test drive and call me back in 30 minutes. 2 1/2 hours later I got a call back...it had died on him and had to be towed back to the dealership.

To fast-forward through the next 3 weeks:
    First diagnosis-- Failure of Camshaft actuator
    Result: Replaced, but failed test drive @ had to be towed

Second diagnosis-- Bad PCM
    Result: Replaced PCM, but failed test drive @ had to be towed

Third diagnosis--Magnetic component of camshaft actuator was bad
    Result: Replaced magnetic component and did "back to back" oil changes to clean out oil passages. The vehicle has not stalled since this was completed, but seems to lack power now. Still has rough idle intermittently, but not very often.

I bought this as a Certified Pre-Owned Cadillac in October of last year with 32,625 miles on it. The Service Manager claimed lack of maintenance by the previous owner caused the clogged oil passage issues, but records show all required maintenance had been completed at the original dealership.
    Is there more to this oil passage issue than we're aware of? I asked how this clogged oil passage issue could be avoided in the future. The Service Manager says the GM Oil Life Monitor system cannot be trusted and that I should change the oil when the monitor says there is still 30%-40% of the oil life remaining. Has anyone else been told this?
    I'm still dealing with this and other issues with this Cadillac. As a first-time owner, Iím very disappointed with my Cadillac experience at this point. It has spent 31 days in service in less than 10 months of ownership and I still have to return it to complete an ongoing repair. It's still covered by the bumper to bumper warranty now, but that expires in a few days. I'm concerned about the reliability of this vehicle now and I still have years and years of payments remaining. I've had a file open with Cadillac Customer Assistance for the past 6 weeks, but my representative has been less than helpful...definitely not the Cadillac Customer Satisfaction experience that I've heard about and expected.
    I apologize for the length of the post, but I've been dealing with these issues for the past 8 weeks and I'm very frustrated. I actually have a document that I've been updating as I've gone through this process...it's up to 13 pages, so this could have been even worse :-)

P.S. I'm attempting to locate a post that I read several weeks ago on this site. It mentioned problems with certain 2007 Escalade engines and the poster claimed to have a list of VIN #'s that were affected. I asked Cadillac Customer Assistance about this, but she said she had no knowledge of it. I'd like to read through those posts again, but I haven't been able to locate that post, yet. If anyone could direct me to that or other similar posts I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Naf
    Naf is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: 2007 Escalade ESV--Stalling/rough idle issues

Does your TB work? That will cause the same issues if it is malfunctioning. It may even just be full of gunk.

In regards to the oil life, it is calculated so dont trust it too much, know when the last service was done and add the appropriate miles to it. I change mine every 5000km due to excessive heat and my heavy hauling.

Most likely the oil vapor has fouled your tb to the point that it would function smoothly that will cause a no restart and the service stability to pop up.

Spend an afternoon with a can of carb cleaner and a nice clean rag. Spray the tb and wipe the excess off. Then start the engine with the intake tube off and spray WD40 into the tb, you may have to raise the RPM to about 1500. DO NOT rev it any higher nor heavily...

Let us know

The Service Technician had mentioned that they may clean the throttle body when it was idling rough, but I'm not sure that it was done. He mentioned that during the first 3 1/2 week stay in the shop, but it was right after they replaced the PCM and he said that also could be causing it. The Escalade stalled and died again on a subsequent test drive, so they continued their troubleshooting, but I'm not sure if they ever cleaned the throttle body or not. The Service Tech that told me this no longer works there, but I'll try to find out and if they didn't clean it, I'll take care of it. Thanks.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

McGowansix, if you purchased the vehicle as a Certified Pre Owned Cadillac in October of last year you should have the 6 year 100,000 mile warranty that comes with it. This warranty starts with the original in service date which with a 2007 could be sometime in 2006. I would confirm this with your dealer by having them check your warranty status with your VIN, or you can send it to me and I can do it for you. I'm sorry to hear about your ongoing issues with the vehicle. If you would like I could look over your case to make sure it's being handled properly. All I would need is for you to send me your case number and I can check it from there. I hope this helps you.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

Thank you, Jeff. I would LOVE to have someone review this case. In fact, I called Cadillac Customer Service last week and requested this, but didn't get anywhere. Should I post the case number here or do you have another contact method that I should use? If you're willing, I'd really like to speak to you on the phone at some point, so that I can detail exactly what has and has not happened up to this point. Thanks in advance.

You can direct message me to continue the conversation privately if you'd like or you can post publicly. Whichever method you feel the safest with is fine with me.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

ldyoung71 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 Escalade 09 CTS AWD

My vehicle is now having similar issues. I have towed my enclosed trailer the last two weeks. The first weekend I towed my trailer for an hour, rode our motorcycles, loaded back up and headed home. Drove fine on the highway on the way there. Coming back, I drove one hour on the highway, got off and stopped at the stop light. It started idling really rough. Didn't die because I put it in neutral. Wrote it off as a one time deal. Fast forward to yesterday. Same trip. Got off the highway from the trip. It started idling rough. Threw it in neutral and gave it gas. Got to the second stop light and it dropped idle, then stalled. Would not start back up. Had it towed to the dealer. Dealer has the vehicle now and says they cannot replicate the problem and do not show any codes from the computer. The problem is that I don't have a problem during normal usage. It only appears to be happening after I tow. BTW, I am towing about 4,000 lbs. My fear is that I am going to have this issue again while towing and out of warranty. I don't want to be towing my family and we get stranded in the middle of nowhere. Can anyone from Cadillac service help me? My VIN is 1GYFK63857R430261.

Punmax is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

This should be a known issue by now. My '07 experienced similar symptoms as you guys. It would idle very rough, and eventually stall. I had to keep the accelerator pressed down when at a full stop otherwise it would die and not want to start again.

My dealership replaced my wires, plugs, fuel filter, camshaft actuator (or sensor, can't remember), and cleaned the throttle body. These repairs were done over 2-3 visits since they would just fix one thing and send me on my way. My truck has not stalled or idled rough since.

Edit: Found my post that I made when I was dealing with this issue:

Quote Originally Posted by Punmax View Post
    My truck had a very rough idle couple of weeks ago. It also had stalling problems. The dealership did an injector cleaning service, throttle body cleaning service, replaced the CAM sensor, and installed a new battery. It never stalled after that, but some of the roughness did go away.

Try cleaning out your throttle body/injectors.

Edit: Some of my spark plugs/wires also failed last week. Replaced them all, and now it idles pretty damn good. They also did another tune up service, so that probably helped, too.

Quote Originally Posted by ldyoung71 View Post
    My vehicle is now having similar issues. I have towed my enclosed trailer the last two weeks. The first weekend I towed my trailer for an hour, rode our motorcycles, loaded back up and headed home. Drove fine on the highway on the way there. Coming back, I drove one hour on the highway, got off and stopped at the stop light. It started idling really rough. Didn't die because I put it in neutral. Wrote it off as a one time deal. Fast forward to yesterday. Same trip. Got off the highway from the trip. It started idling rough. Threw it in neutral and gave it gas. Got to the second stop light and it dropped idle, then stalled. Would not start back up. Had it towed to the dealer. Dealer has the vehicle now and says they cannot replicate the problem and do not show any codes from the computer. The problem is that I don't have a problem during normal usage. It only appears to be happening after I tow. BTW, I am towing about 4,000 lbs. My fear is that I am going to have this issue again while towing and out of warranty. I don't want to be towing my family and we get stranded in the middle of nowhere. Can anyone from Cadillac service help me? My VIN is 1GYFK63857R430261.
    Hello ldyoung71,

After looking into your VIN and seeing towing capacities for your vehicle, I see you are well within the weight limits. Can you please provide me with the name and location of the dealership which you had your vehicle at?

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

Laura,

My vehicle is at Bommarito Cadillac, Interstate 70 Service Road North, St. Peters, MO. Phone number is 636-928-2300. The dealer is usually good about taking care of me, but on this issue they are not really able to do anything for me they said. My problem is it is going to happen again. And I'm worried. It seems to only occur when towing. So they can't get it to happen again. Can you tell me what the next steps are or if you can get them to help me?? They won't even give me a rental since it hasn't been determined there is an issue. Any help would be appreciated! Is there also a way I can get a hold of you to discuss via IM or on the phone?

----------

Laura,

I just wanted to make sure you got my message..
    My vehicle is at Bommarito Cadillac, Interstate 70 Service Road North, St. Peters, MO. Phone number is 636-928-2300. The dealer is usually good about taking care of me, but on this issue they are not really able to do anything for me they said. My problem is it is going to happen again. And I'm worried. It seems to only occur when towing. So they can't get it to happen again. Can you tell me what the next steps are or if you can get them to help me?? They won't even give me a rental since it hasn't been determined there is an issue. Any help would be appreciated! Is there also a way I can get a hold of you to discuss via IM or on the phone?

Quote Originally Posted by ldyoung71 View Post
    Laura,

----------

Laura,

I just wanted to make sure you got my message..
    Hello ldyoung71,

Thanks for the quick response. I did receive your message. I am able to be contacted via private message on this forum to further discuss issues and concerns.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Service

RichieRich is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 Cadillac EXT

This exact same thing happened to me. No one could figure it out. It ended up being a clogged oiled filter. I used Lucas in the oil and it was a combination of the thick Lucas (which is know to clog filters) and a faulty AC Delco filter... That was it... The dealer did the first 2 things that they did with your truck. Then I was told my engine passengers were clogged and I need an engine. I had the truck towed home. A friend of mine that was around about a month before the problems started and right when I changed the oil and added Lucas said did you change the oil because Lucas will clog and ruin a filer and make it appear that the oil passages are clogged. I changed the oil and filer and it was fixed.... Cadillac also refunded $1600 that they charged me for changing parts that didn't need to be changed. I know lots of guys use Lucas and I'm not trashing it. Just passing on my experience.

RichieRich,

Interesting. I got no results from the dealer and decided to just do some routine maintenance. Change air filter, new battery, bought new plugs, wires, and camshaft position sensorm clean throttle body, clean mass air flow sensor. I attempted to do the camshaft position sensor myself, but unfortunately I have the wiring harness that has 3 bolts. I can't get the third one out. Looks like the crankshaft pulley is in the way. I also added Lucas Injector cleaner to the tank. But I just added that so that was not the problem for me. The bad thing for me is that it has only happened while towing for a couple hours. Funny thing is its only on the trips home while towing that I ever noticed idle issues. I drive it every day and never does the idle drop low or anything. Weird huh?? I will let you know what I find out. Or if it acts up again. It just makes me nervous to drive now, where as before I was confident driving it.

Okay. I thought by doing all the items listed in my previous post in this thread that my problems would go away. Low and behold I go to tow my motorcycles today and it almost dies when we stop at the light on the off ramp. I kept giving it throttle and it would barely move when the light turned green. Instead of taking the kids riding, I drove back to the dealership. The service guy rode with me. He took his device and hooked it to the computer. No problems occur until the transmission temp registers 200+ degrees and we come to a stop from being on the highway. It almost dies and no throttle response. He said hes going to call a tech hot line tomorrow. Really frustrating. I'm scared to drive it anymore while towing our trailer. Any other clues? Although people on here say this is a known issue, the dealer says they cant find any TSBs that mention this.

Punmax is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Hmm, interesting. Did they check the fuel pressure?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.