Nav radio reboots, airbag light blinks and stabilitrak message while driving
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Nav radio reboots, airbag light blinks and stabilitrak message while driving in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I've had this 2008 Escalade for about a year now, and just now it's done this thing where the radio ...
    kidtriton is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Nav radio reboots, airbag light blinks and stabilitrak message while driving

I've had this 2008 Escalade for about a year now, and just now it's done this thing where the radio cuts out and I look down and the Nav screen is black and then does the Cadillac splash screen and the airbag light in the cluster flashes for a few seconds and the message center says "Stabilitrak off" for a second. If it's on the radio, the sound comes back on by the time the Cadillac screen comes on, but if it's on a CD it's like it has to re-load the disk, so it could be a minute before it starts playing again.

I used to be a Ford Master Technician and specialized in electrical systems but have been out of the auto industry since 2003, so a lot of my dealership resources have dried up. So what I'm looking for is any leads on tracking this intermittent loss of power down. It's only happened a few times so far, so I'm not 100% sure I can relate it to hitting a bump or if it's completely random yet. But has done it two different days now so I'm pretty sure it's going to keep doing it and I'll be paying closer attention to the details.

What sucks is this is the kind of stuff I used to love fixing on Fords from '93 - '03 but I had all the wiring diagrams, test equipment, service bulletins, tech hotline, etc.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Big Windy Ext is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Caddy EXT

Re: Nav radio reboots, airbag light blinks and stabilitrak message while driving

Relay,dash ground or poor connector would be the cheapest,easiest start without getting complicated. Post your findings got me curious .

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Re: Nav radio reboots, airbag light blinks and stabilitrak message while driving

Hello kidtriton, if you could please keep us posted on the repair. Thank you!

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

legoiii is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

I had that same problem a couple of times with my first Escalade, in addition to, my truck would not even start sometimes, and the door locks would cycle even when the truck was in the garage they said it was a loose ground strap first, then it happen again, and they ended up replacing my door/lock mechanism, don't know what that had to do with the problem but it worked.

LakeGuy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 Escalade Luxury

I hope I'm not breaking a rule by resurrecting an old thread, but I am having this exact same problem as well on my '09.

I was driving down the road at about 60 mph today and the audio system repeatedly would "pop" and go mute, then come back in a few seconds. After a while when it would pop I started seeing the Service Airbag light for a few seconds. Then the Nav system started going black and rebooting when it would pop. Several times I saw the ABS light and the Stabilitrak message as it reset.

Once when it popped the door locks unlocked and relocked. I've noticed sometimes the dash lights flash as well. Twice the vehicle even downshifted when the pop occurs.

It has happened in the past but I never experienced all of the warning lights and messages. Just that the radio would pop and mute, and the cruise control (if engaged) would disengage.

This was a very concerning thing as it happened probably 15 or 20 times in a span of about 5 miles. When I finally had a safe place to pull off I turned the vehicle off, restarted it, and didn't have further problems for the rest of the trip (15 miles or so). On my vehicle it is almost acting like the electrical control system is resetting itself, which is scary at 60 mph!

Any insight is appreciated. I'm 150 miles from home and a little concerned about the trip back.

LakeGuy,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. I am sure it was pretty scary not knowing what was going on. Did you happen to take your vehicle to the local dealership where you are located?

Thank you,

Elizabeth, Cadillac Customer Service

Elizabeth, thanks for your concern. I have not yet taken the vehicle to my dealer. I made the 150 mile return trip without any incident and it hasn't repeated the activity in the past two days. Plan to get it in soon though.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    LakeGuy,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue. I am sure it was pretty scary not knowing what was going on. Did you happen to take your vehicle to the local dealership where you are located?

Thank you,

uptown is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade

This is the same as how my issue started on last Monday. I figured no big deal, called the dealer and made an appointment for the following Monday. Fast forward to last Thursday. Driving home on the interstate I get the two following messages on the dash, Engine Power Is Reduced, Service Traction Control. At this point the truck goes into protect mode and starts to downshift, I was unable to accelerate and was forced to pull over. Once I got stopped and put the truck in park the check engine light came on, the traction control light came on, my fuel gauge dropped to E (yes, there was gas in it, about 3/4 of a tank) and I kept getting the same messages as below.

image (Mobile).jpeg

image(1) (Mobile).jpeg

Now here is where things get more strange. I turn off the truck, check the battery cables (the dealer had replaced the battery about a month ago), checked the gas cap, made sure everything looked normal. I get back in and go to start the truck and the the needles on the cluster only light up, then they start to blink on and off. No other lights or messages, just flashing needles. So I disconnect the battery, let it sit for about 15 minutes, hook it back up and again, just flashing gauge needles. At this point I give up and have it towed to the dealer.

Get a call on Friday, first they asked me if I had driven over and large or sharp objects. For a minute I thought they were just joking around but they traced the check engine light and error messages down to a split / damaged wire harness under the truck. They did have one in stock and had started to replace it. Later that day they called back, new wire harness was in and the codes had cleared, but the cluster still wasn't working. They didn't have one in stock so they had to order it. Thankfully they were able to get me a loaner car for over the weekend. I also tried talking them into ordering the newer style cluster but they said it wasn't compatible. At that point I wasn't going to question that one. Tuesday I got a call again, truck is done, new cluster is in.

And then this morning I get the following email from OnStar:
    OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics from your 2007 Cadillac Sport Utility Escalade as of 07/20/2011
    There is a diagnostic alert for your vehicle this month requiring immediate attention.
    Air Bag System
    • There may be an issue requiring action. Push your blue OnStar button and request an On-Demand Diagnostics Check.
    Antilock Braking System
    • There may be an issue requiring action. Push your blue OnStar button and request an On-Demand Diagnostics Check.

Since that came this morning do I assume that they pulled that on my way home yesterday or on my way to work this morning and there is still an issue? Or is there a chance that this information is from last week or while the dealer was repairing it?

On a side note, I have to thank my dealer for getting me in unscheduled, getting me a loaner, and always having a great service department. Now only if I could get them to actually wash the truck when they say they are going to.

LakeGuy,

I am glad to hear you did not have any incidents on your drive home. Please let me know when you take your vehicle into the dealership.

Uptown,

Did you let your dealership know about what the OnStar diagnostics system told you?

Thank you,

I haven't gotten the "Reduced Engine Power" message yet, but have seen the Traction Control message as well as Stabilitrak and Antilock messages. All had been fine for about 300 miles but my '09 started to pull this again on the way home from work tonight so into the dealer it goes. I never got any messages from OnStar, in fact when it happened the first time I called and asked them to run On-Demand Diagnostics and they said no problems were reported.

LakeGuy,

That is very interesting to say the least. Please let me know what your dealership has to say about this issue.

Thank you,

alx_escalade is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade 2008

kidtriton

I am have the same issue. Did you ever get yours resolved and what was the issue?

mountaincaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 Escalade ESV

I'm having the same issues on my 2007 ESV, radio resets, airbag light flashed, stabilitrack warning msgs. Also truck intermittently will not start - completely dead, no crank, wait 15 min, starts just fine. Seems to happen in stop and go traffic after driving for at least 20 min. Dealer cannot reproduce. Will have to go for test drive with tech in a few days.

Mountaincaddy, I apologize for the issues that you are experiencing. I would recommend taking it to the dealership and seeing what they say. Keep us updated on how it goes at the dealership.
    Breanne
    Cadillac Customer Service

Ken Spencer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08' Escalade EXT

I'm having the same problem. The dealership has had my EXT for a week and a half. Can't get it to act up. When I pick it up, a few days go by and it starts all over. Still no solutions.
    Please inform of any solutions found.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.