Reduced Engine Power?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Reduced Engine Power? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hello all! I'm new to the forum and I'm not sure this is where to ask, but wanted to ask ...
    jhahn69 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Escalade EXT

Reduced Engine Power?

Hello all! I'm new to the forum and I'm not sure this is where to ask, but wanted to ask if anyone has experienced this problem. I recently purchased a 2008 EXT and twice now it has given me a Reduced Engine Power error and stalled out on me in the middle of traffic. The first time the dealer found a broken wire in the harness going to the computer. That worked for a couple weeks but now have the same problem again. Does anyone have any ideas? Thank you in advance...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Re: Reduced Engine Power?

Sounds to me like they did a hack job replacing the "broken wire". Unless they completely replaced the harness or the computer, I would be suspicious that the wire has come loose, frayed or is otherwise faulty again. Another thing that can cause the Engine Power is Reduced error is a clog or blockage in the air filter (like ice buildup... yes, it happens) or a fault within the MAF sensor. They need to hook it up for diagnostics if it is not the wire again. Good luck.

Thanks for the input. I will definitely make sure all of that gets checked out. I also did a Google search and found a message thread where this problem has been around for awhile in Chevy and GMC vehicles as well (makes since though, all GM). People were saying how the dealer replaced various parts to try to correct it (MAF sensor, throttle body, computer, etc.) but the fact is that GM doesn't know the actual cause and they are still having issues. Some also said it could be a grounding issue (loose ground connection(s))? I'll be calling the dealer this afternoon. Hopefully they will have found what the problem is.

darhef is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '07 Escalade

I had the same thing happen to me about a month ago. Although I didn't get any "reduced power" or "check engine" message on my DIC. I slowed down to enter a rest stop and it died, no warning what so ever. I thought it may have been water in the fuel so I put some gas line anti-freeze in the tank. I had to boost it and put the pedal to the floor to get it going again. I travelled for another 150km and pulled into my driveway and it died again this time with the following messages "service traction control" and "service stabilitrak". I had read in here that it may be the "cam shaft position sensor". I brought it to the dealer, told them what I thought it may be but, they said it was more likely a throttle body problem, given I didn't have a "reduced engine power" message or "check engine" light. They cleaned the throttle body and it hasn't happend since (knock on wood).

That was similar, and I also got the service traction control message along with the reduced engine power. Were you able to go faster than 20mph? In my scenario it limits the speed to that to help prevent engine damage. It's only meant to allow you to get off the road.

I just talked to the dealer. Now they are saying the problem is the computer. Frankly I don't think they know what the heck is wrong with it and they are just throwing parts at it. At least it's under warranty. I sure hope this does it and it doesn't turn into a recurring issue......

Yeah, I had no problem getting up to 100+km/hr. It only died twice, and only when I let off the accelerator and coasted. I'm not sure if they checked your codes but, according to my service manager, if there was a reduced engine power (which I didn't have) along with the service traction control etc...then there is a good chance it may be the cam shaft position sensor.

CAMEL is offline Cadillac Owners Member

In our experience we have done a lot of them. we have had a lot of the same issues, most likely it is a throttle body issue weather its cleaning it or replacing it. in some cases its a wiring problem. When you do replace it or clean it you must perform idle/relearn procedure correctly.

Just an update....I picked it up from the dealer today. They replaced the PCM and a fuel pressure regulator. They also checked all the pin connectors, MAF sensor, and TB. It seems to be running fine now. In fact it even idles smoother than before so let's hope this fixes it! Thanks to those who offered their thoughts. A problem like this can be like finding a needle in a haystack.

Quote Originally Posted by jhahn69 View Post
    Just an update....I picked it up from the dealer today. They replaced the PCM and a fuel pressure regulator. They also checked all the pin connectors, MAF sensor, and TB. It seems to be running fine now. In fact it even idles smoother than before so let's hope this fixes it! Thanks to those who offered their thoughts. A problem like this can be like finding a needle in a haystack.
    How was it idling before the fix?

Not bad before, just seemed to have a little skip to it. Now it seems smoother.

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

A-ha! I knew they'd have to replace it eventually. Hopefully it's fixed for good now!

05EssTeeEss4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS 4

I have a similar issue with my 2005 STS4. "Reduced Engine Power" and the Traction Control light came on at the exact same time while driving on the highway during rush hour (30-30 MPH). The car didnt stall out, but the transmission did begin surging and progressively got very jumpy. I quickly pulled the car over, shut it off and turned the car back on. The car began driving fine again on the highway, but the Check Engine light was on so I took it over to my Cadillac dealer and he's had it for a full week.

Car: 2005 Cadillac STS4 V8
    Mileage: 58,209
    Original owner
    (Hasn't had any previous major issues at all)

So far: They have replaced the throttle body and harness. They thought this may resolve the issue, however it didn't extinguish the Check Engine light. They took the car for a road test and the issue was not repaired.
    The mechanic then traced the "miles of wire" under the hood and checked for any faulty or frayed wires. All wiring checked out good and they moved to the next step.
    Today, the dealership called and they are ordering a full Engine Harness replacement. This is where I am at now. The labor and work is covered under warranty, but I miss my ride! If this Engine Harness resolves the issue, we are shooting to have it back soon. I'll post updates as they come in.

Cadillac Cust Svc is offline Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by 05EssTeeEss4 View Post
    I have a similar issue with my 2005 STS4. "Reduced Engine Power" and the Traction Control light came on at the exact same time while driving on the highway during rush hour (30-30 MPH). The car didnt stall out, but the transmission did begin surging and progressively got very jumpy. I quickly pulled the car over, shut it off and turned the car back on. The car began driving fine again on the highway, but the Check Engine light was on so I took it over to my Cadillac dealer and he's had it for a full week.

Car: 2005 Cadillac STS4
    Mileage: 58,209
    Original owner
    (Hasn't had any previous major issues at all)

So far: They have replaced the throttle body and harness. They thought this may resolve the issue, however it didn't extinguish the Check Engine light. They took the car for a road test and the issue was not repaired.
    The mechanic then traced the "miles of wire" under the hood and checked for any faulty or frayed wires. All wiring checked out good and they moved to the next step.
    Today, the dealership called and they are ordering a full Engine Harness replacement. This is where I am at now. The labor and work is covered under warranty, but I miss my ride! If this Engine Harness resolves the issue, we are shooting to have it back soon. I'll post updates as they come in.
    Thank you for keeping us posted! I'm sorry to hear about your frustrations, and please feel free to email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com for further assistance.

Looking forward to your updates,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service

05EssTeeEss4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS 4

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Cust Svc View Post
    Thank you for keeping us posted! I'm sorry to hear about your frustrations, and please feel free to email me anytime at Katie_Lucille@gmexpert.com for further assistance.

Looking forward to your updates,

Katie
    Cadillac Customer Service
    Thanks. I heard back today with respect to the Full Engine Wire Harness Kit replacement and it sounds like that fixed the problem. The service manager told me it appears to be shifting like new and has a very smooth idle now. The dealership plans to take it out for a test drive before I get it back just to be sure it's 100% taken care of. I'll post updates of what I find (fingers crossed!).

ext2008 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 ext

Wow!

JUST Found this thread while searching..

I "Think" im happy to have found this site and thread, as It "aleviates" some of my stress..

MY issue, seems to have happened to many of you wre, and It also seems as though you have all had it fixed, and seems like it isnt TOO Big of an issue...

Im sure anyone who has had this happen to them, AS I DID -- Just MINUTES ago.. Its absolutelFYING, I honestly thought my vehicle was DONE.. After going so Good for so Long, BANG just went from being that GOOD to OH SO BAD! WOW!

I JUST Filled up the car ( Here in Canada using Premium gas - cost me $156.00 - which was painfull enough..LOL) I drive Home, and JUST as I got home, the dashboard computer lit up like a Christmas tree, with the EXACT SAME Warnings/\Mesages as you guys have experienced.. It Started - Out of Nowhere with REDUCED ENGINE POWER, THEN --- SERVICE STABILITY SYSTEM - Then - SERVICE STABILITRAK.. WOW!! Thats enough to worry Anyone.. Then I tried to Drive around a bit, and realized that I TRULY had NO- ZERO-ZILCH in terms of Power!!! I could barely get up a Hill near my Home - when I went for a further Test drive.... an anytime i TRIED to go faster the whole car began to Shake, and or SPUTTER! SO, I Slowly came back to my home, parked in the garage, turned it off, checked under the hood, all fluids were good, started it back up, and SAME THING! Im thinking OMG, TERRIBLE - Seems like a $5,000 Job, Just guessing..

ANYWAYS, My car is still parked, HOWEVER, My Check Engine Light has been on for some time - Not bothering anything (That I could determine) BUT I Had it checked a while ago.. and I was told it was due to what was called the TPS - Throttle Positioning Sensor, AND the EVAP Sensor, - something to do with the sensor in the gas tank detrmining how much gas is there... I was told the EVAP Sensor SHOULD have been covered in warranty - although my vehicle was out of warranty, and of course nothing was covered by any recalls/ warranties.. BUT Is told that Both of the issues are NPT M A J O R Things... ( A friend who drives an Avalanche - told me HE had HIS TPS fixed, and suggests it for me, as one day I may pull in front of a transport truck, and may have no power - he told me that 1 year ago) NOW its All Adding UP!!! LOL!

After reading about your experiences, and recalling what my friend said 1 year ago, it SEEMS that the Issue IS the THROTTLE POSITIONING SENSOR/ Or as you have said THROTTLE BODY, and Some have said CAM SHAFT SENSOR. ALL those issues seem A lot LESS "Pricey" then say a New Transmission, New Engine, or New Stabilitrack / Stability System.. Thankfully!!!

SO< Heres to hoping I take it to the dealer tommorow, and the Issue that WAS displayed as my Check Engine Light being on, for so long IS INDEED the issue - Hoping its the TPS ... Possibly Evap sensor, and at Worst Cam Shaft Sensor..

As per your experoeinces, who actually PAID For it (Rather then Warranty) Can anyone give me a BALLPARK figure of How Much $ I should be looking at, and or any other thoughts on what Else ( hopefully Nothing) it could be??

I Thankyou all in advance, from a first time poster, and first time user..

Many Thanks...

EAF
    Toronto Canada
    2008 EXT

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.