New Platinum Escalade Owner....problem with RSE factory headrest DVDs????
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, New Platinum Escalade Owner....problem with RSE factory headrest DVDs???? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Should the dvd in the head unit be able to be viewed on all 3 rear screens at the same ...
    jcrack_corn is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

New Platinum Escalade Owner....problem with RSE factory headrest DVDs????

Should the dvd in the head unit be able to be viewed on all 3 rear screens at the same time?

Right now it only shows on the flip down center screen. and in the options there are no options for monitor 2 or monitor 3, just the flip down screen (i can route head unit to it, or Aux to it).

On the rear headrests, the are seeing each other correctly as monitor 3 or 4. i can play a dvd in one and see it in the other with no problem.

Sources available are

Monitor 3 (or 4) (from the OTHER headrest)

Aux

channels (yes, i thought this was not supposed to be available, maybe thats my problem) -- these channels are 2-69 and none of them show anything

and DVD (from the unit itself)

Is there a brain unit for these two screens I should check, or any programming that can be done? What are the channels for?

-this car is used and did have GM322 and Ipod installed but I removed all of it to troubleshoot....everything including XM works as its supposed to except for seeing the head unit dvd on the headrest screens.

THANKS!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: New Platinum Escalade Owner....problem with RSE factory headrest DVDs????

ok, i've now figured out that the manual is referring to ESV's with a third row screen, and that you CANT get video from nav unit to the head rest screens.

however, this should be VERY easy to accomplish by using the av1600 cable and interfacing right at the brain/switch box for the two screens (each screen has input and output to that box, I can take the output of screen 3, splice in the the output of the nav dvd unit then:

screen 3 will play only from its dvd or front panel aux port
    screen 4 will play from its dvd, front panel aux or nav dvd unit (when "monitor 3") is selected.

so does anyone know where the brains are? i am assuming behind the radio or climate control or in the center console, but its much easier if someone already knows the location (the wires seem to go forward, so i'm thinking behind radio/climate).

2009 platinum, thx!

Platinum ESV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Escalade EXT, 2009 Escalade ESV Platinum, 2008 SRX4 V8

Pull the left side console panel off and you'll find the control box for the headrests right there sticky taped to the subwoofer enclosure. I swapped mine out for the upgraded one with a aux input.

thanks!

Do you mean the side panel on the drivers side of the center console? or somewhere else..?

and what is the item/part number for the upgraded brains with aux input?

thanks a ton!

spent a couple hours today rewiring it...all works perfect now.

i tapped the video out of the control box for each screen and added rca plug.

I also tapped the video out of the nav unit and added a rca plug.

Now it is all fully customizable, and all screens (nav, overhead, 2x headrests) play the front DVD at the same time.

the headrests CANNOT show with the other headrest is playing anymore (dumb "feature anyway). of course if they both need to be on the same thing, I can just play the dvd up front!

pics comming

Nice Ride is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 ESV Platinum / 2010 SRX Premium
    Anyone have photos or schematics? I have an 09 esv. This is how things should be from the factory.

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Quote Originally Posted by jcrack_corn View Post
    spent a couple hours today rewiring it...all works perfect now.

i tapped the video out of the control box for each screen and added rca plug.

I also tapped the video out of the nav unit and added a rca plug.

Now it is all fully customizable, and all screens (nav, overhead, 2x headrests) play the front DVD at the same time.

the headrests CANNOT show with the other headrest is playing anymore (dumb "feature anyway). of course if they both need to be on the same thing, I can just play the dvd up front!

pics comming
    If you have kids you would understand why it comes from the factory like it does, because they will not watch the same things, or listen to the same things, so it would cause more problems if it was not set up the factory way.

sasakura is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac
    Quote Originally Posted by Nice Ride
    Anyone have photos or schematics? I have an 09 esv. This is how things should be from the factory.
    X2 plus any part numbers.

JBuckleyUD is offline Cadillac Owners Member

jCrack, Can you elaborate on how you did this? Where is the control box for the dvd screens? What wires did you tap off of each component? Thanks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.