Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2007 Escalade Interior Chrome Door Handle - Defect Letter Received

28K views 64 replies 45 participants last post by  lbrowne 
#1 ·
Did anyone else get the letter from GM about the interior chrome door handles may have a defect which causes the top of the door handle to peel off and get rough?

It says as long as the vehicle is less than 10 years old and under 100,000 miles this is to be fixed by authorized dealer under warranty I would assume.

I am taking my vehicle there this week as my door handles are experiencing this.

Anyone else get this?

#4 ·
It is a "special policy" adjustment to provide you coverage should your vehicle exhibit this condition:

SPECIAL COVERAGE
SUBJECT: Special Coverage Adjustment – Front and Rear Chrome Interior Door Handle
Lever
MODELS: 2007 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
2007 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2007 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL
Equipped with Chrome Interior Door Handles
CONDITION
Some customers of 2007 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT; Chevrolet
Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles may
comment about peeling on the top surface of the front or rear chrome interior door handle(s). A
chrome plating irregularity combined with direct sunlight exposure may cause the plating to
separate from the top surface of the handle on certain vehicles.
SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT
This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 100,000
miles (160,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in
service, regardless of ownership or mileage.
Dealers are to replace the front and/or rear chrome interior door handle levers if signs of peeling
are present. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

#18 ·
SO funny to see this thread. Haven't been on in a while. I bought my 07 preowned from a GMC dealer. High volume dealer, poor customer service, good prices. When I took delivery I pointed out the handles, and they gave me a "We Owe" paper as a promise to fix. I harassed them literally the next two weeks, and the little salesman was just worn out and probably so tired of me, I'm sure he wanted to tell me F off... But little Adam Goldman just insisted that they sold me the vehicle for cost and couldn't afford to give me new door handles, and instead passed me off to his manager, who the passed me off to some auto restoration guy they use to prep their used cars... this guy then ran me around for 3 more weeks, claiming he'd ordered some kind of chrome film to re wrap my handles, and it was on back order... normally I possess pitbull like tenacity and will fight to the death, but I had a trip to Miami and lost interst, let them off the hook. I guess I can now walk into my local dealer and get me some brand new handles... :cool2: Good thing, too, because the principalities of this matter were kind of annoying. Glad to be vindicated. Thanks for the info, fellas!

#24 ·
Unfortunately I got both my 07 & 09 from Patrick however that experience was "acceptable". OTH, their service dept stinks. I have yet to be treated like I was driving a $70K Cadillac.
When Patrick told me I'd have to make an appointment 3 weeks in advance for an oil change, I drove in off the street to Motor Werks in Barrington & was in & out in about 30 min. They were originally closed down by GM during the "bankruptcy" but subsequently reopened. It's a small operation but personalized, friendly service is far more in evidence than at Patrick. Might be a little far from Downer's Grove, but it's equal distance for me to Patrick or Motor Werks.

#27 ·
Maybe they didn't get the memo , I can't say Heritage won't be the same , I haven't really had much experience with them when an item isn't warranty . I used to have a Chevy dealer that would always try and often succeeded in getting things covered beyond warranty , like differentials . Too bad they are gone .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.