2007 Escalade Interior Chrome Door Handle - Defect Letter Received - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, 2007 Escalade Interior Chrome Door Handle - Defect Letter Received in Cadillac Escalade Forums; ...
    wwceaton is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade base

Re: 2007 Escalade Interior Chrome Door Handle - Defect Letter Received

Owner Letter

July 2010

Dear GM Customer:

As the owner of a 2007 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Sierra, Yukon, or Yukon XL vehicle, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2007 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles may have a peeling condition on the top surface of the front or rear chrome interior door handle(s) that could create a rough edge. A chrome plating irregularity combined with direct sunlight exposure may cause the plating to separate from the top surface of the handle.

Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What We Have Done: General Motors is providing owners of 2007 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles with additional protection for the front and rear chrome interior door handles. If this condition occurs on your 2007 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Sierra, Yukon, or Yukon XL within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 100,000 miles (160,000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge . Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.

What You Should Do: Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to contact your GM dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

Reimbursement: The form explains what reimbursement is available and how to request reimbursement if you have paid for repairs for the special coverage condition. Your request for reimbursement, including the information and documents mentioned on the enclosed form, must be received by GM by July 31, 2012.

If you have any questions or need any assistance to better understand related repairs, please contact your dealer. If you have questions related to a potential reimbursement, please contact the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below.

We are sorry for any inconvenience you may experience; however we have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products.

Customer and Relationship Services

Enclosure

© 2013 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions

wwceaton is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade base

Owner Letter

July 2010

Dear GM Customer:

As the owner of a 2007 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Sierra, Yukon, or Yukon XL vehicle, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2007 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles may have a peeling condition on the top surface of the front or rear chrome interior door handle(s) that could create a rough edge. A chrome plating irregularity combined with direct sunlight exposure may cause the plating to separate from the top surface of the handle.

Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What We Have Done: General Motors is providing owners of 2007 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles with additional protection for the front and rear chrome interior door handles. If this condition occurs on your 2007 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Sierra, Yukon, or Yukon XL within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 100,000 miles (160,000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge . Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.

What You Should Do: Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to contact your GM dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

Reimbursement: The form explains what reimbursement is available and how to request reimbursement if you have paid for repairs for the special coverage condition. Your request for reimbursement, including the information and documents mentioned on the enclosed form, must be received by GM by July 31, 2012.

If you have any questions or need any assistance to better understand related repairs, please contact your dealer. If you have questions related to a potential reimbursement, please contact the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below.

We are sorry for any inconvenience you may experience; however we have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products.

Customer and Relationship Services

Enclosure

© 2013 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions

big rob 1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 EXT

Of course all four of my doors on my 2007 have this problem.
    And mine is just barely out of warranty anything one of these GM service reps can do?

AZKlaus is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Escalade EXT Premium

Looks like if you didn't get this done by July of 2012 you're SOL. But honestly this is a cheap and easy DIY fix...

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by big rob 1 View Post
    Of course all four of my doors on my 2007 have this problem.
    And mine is just barely out of warranty anything one of these GM service reps can do?
    Hello big rob 1,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern with all four doors on your Escalade. We look at each customer situation on a case-by-case basis. We are more than happy to review your situation and explore any available options, but cannot guarantee cost assistance. Send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage and dealer name and location so we can further discuss your situation.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

3cadillacs is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

this is happening to my 2007 Cadillac Escalade. Can you please post the letter you received so that I can turn it in to my authorized dealer for replacement? Thank you.

dzar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV

The "letter" was posted a couple posts ago. The dealers should all know about this. 10 yr/100,000 mile limitation (now why there is a mileage limit on something that has nothing to do with wear from driving I'll never know. More stupidity from GM.)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

JHC828 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV Platinum / Sierra Denali / Infiniti FX50S & M45

I haven't had this problem in the Escalade but my Sierra Denali driver door started to peel and sliced my wife's hand open. I bought a replacement on the bay for about $20 and put it on myself. Of course, I'd rather have had the dealer do the labor and buy the parts but this was over a year ago. Glad to know they're finally taking steps to make it right.

big rob 1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 EXT

I am trying to have some billet handles made, hopefully they turn out awesome!

Alpha.Romeo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Unfortunately I have the same problem. But unluckily Cadillac Europe didn't pay for mine although I'm under 100k and under the 10 years limit...

2007-CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS High Feature, 07 Escalade Lux. 10 SRX-Sold

My 07 is now starting to have same problem. The seam at the top edge of the driver/passenger handles have become VERY sharp. A call to my local Cadillac dealer (Galles and Davis Cadillac Albuquerque) was useless. I provided my VIN and was told the letter was not applicable to my vehicle even though it is way under the 10 year age and mileage requirements!

I find this very disappointing especially when you consider how much these vehicles cost, not to mention how many caddy's I have owned. What about customer loyalty, totally unacceptable. I would just be happy if they would send them to me and I could install them myself!

What a bunch of crap, perhaps when I or my wife slices the crap out of our hands then they can pay for the new handles AND the doctors bills!

Punmax is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by 2007-CTS View Post
    My 07 is now starting to have same problem. The seam at the top edge of the driver/passenger handles have become VERY sharp. A call to my local Cadillac dealer (Galles and Davis Cadillac Albuquerque) was useless. I provided my VIN and was told the letter was not applicable to my vehicle even though it is way under the 10 year age and mileage requirements!

I find this very disappointing especially when you consider how much these vehicles cost, not to mention how many caddy's I have owned. What about customer loyalty, totally unacceptable. I would just be happy if they would send them to me and I could install them myself!

What a bunch of crap, perhaps when I or my wife slices the crap out of our hands then they can pay for the new handles AND the doctors bills!
    I drove my truck into my dealership and when I told the service adviser about the recall, he knew all about it. I picked it up an hour later, and they replaced all 4 door handles even though the driver handle was only bad. Go back there and talk to the manager.

Cadillac Cust Svc is online now Cadillac Customer Service
    Automobile(s): All Cadillac vehicles!

Quote Originally Posted by 2007-CTS View Post

Hi 2007-CTS,

I do apologize that you are experiencing this difficulty with your door handles and your dealership. If you could please PM me your VIN and current mileage, I would like to look into this issue on my end.

Have a great night,

Austin J.
    Cadillac Customer Care

Nice Ride is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 ESV Platinum / 2010 SRX Premium

09 Platinum, every door handle was replaced under B2B, they all failed as well as Window Trim. One went right after the other....

2007-CTS is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 CTS High Feature, 07 Escalade Lux. 10 SRX-Sold

Thumbs down Re: 2007 Escalade Interior Chrome Door Handle - Defect Letter Received

So Much for Customer Care!

Considering I too have this problem with pealing chrome interior handles I posted my disappointment with my local Cadillac dealer when I contacted them about this problem. Cadillac Customer Care asked me to pm them with the vehicle's VIN and mileage (which I did and included a picture of the problem). I was promptly answered by a Cadillac associate who basically told me Cadillac would not replace them under the program.

Needless to say I was very disappointed and thought I would share the complete private conversation with Cadillac here:

My Private message answer to Cadillac Customer care

Sharp peeling door handles

Austin,
    My 2007 Escalade's VIN is: xxxxxxxxxx, Mileage xxxx, original in-service date 4-2-2007. I would be happy if Cadillac would just authorize providing me the replacement handles, I would even be willing (and prefer) to installing them myself (rather then having the dealership break half of the door clips and having a rattling door once there done).

Here is a picture of one of the handles, you can see the gray area where the chrome has pealed completely off. Then edge of the broken chrome plating is very sharp. The ones in the back are not as bad, they have some pitting but are not sharp like the drivers and front passenger.

Thank you for your time, Please feel free to contact me at xxxxxxxxxx.
    Dan

Laura from Cadillac Customer Care's answer
    Hi Dan,
    I understand your situation is disheartening and I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused for you. After checking your VIN, it is not associated with any open recalls or service announcements. There are also no special coverages associated with your vehicle. We are more than happy to assist throughout the process of working with your Cadillac dealer, but cost assistance cannot be guaranteed. If you would like to proceed with this route, please let us know so we can contact your dealer on your behalf and schedule a service appointment.

Laura M. (assisting Austin)
    Cadillac Customer Care

My Reply------
    I must say I am surprised considering all the legal problems GM is facing regarding the ignition issues that Cadillac will not step up to cover this. While it is true about the worst thing that could happen is a very bad cut requiring minor medical treatment. In my opinion (and shared by many on the forum) the failure of Cadillac to replace a commonly known defect that could cause injury is something that is unworthy of the Cadillac brand and an issue I will consider when purchasing my next luxury vehicle. Please note, I will probably share this correspondence on the associated forum thread. It may help others in my same situation.
    Dan

Laura from Cadillac Customer Care's final answer
    Dan,

I understand this is not the resolution you were hoping to hear and deeply apologize for your current dissatisfaction. If additional questions or concerns arise, don't hesitate to contact us.

Laura M.
    Cadillac Customer Care

My solution to the problem, I found Genuine GM replacement on ebay (both sides) for 15.00. (PN 19299865) Purchased and on the way. Once received I will install them myself. (and I even suggested that to Cadillac just to give me the parts!)

My final thought, as much as I like Cadillac and have purchased many through out the years why would they risk loosing a customer or create ill will over a stupid $15.00 part? My guess is that probably costs GM less then 5 bucks. The real kicker is that this is defective and can cause bodily injury to the consumer. Cadillac, bad form on this one!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.