Cadillac Owners Forum banner

2007 Escalade Interior Chrome Door Handle - Defect Letter Received

28K views 64 replies 45 participants last post by  lbrowne 
#1 ·
Did anyone else get the letter from GM about the interior chrome door handles may have a defect which causes the top of the door handle to peel off and get rough?

It says as long as the vehicle is less than 10 years old and under 100,000 miles this is to be fixed by authorized dealer under warranty I would assume.

I am taking my vehicle there this week as my door handles are experiencing this.

Anyone else get this?

#29 ·
Hello applepie,

I am not aware of a recall or service announcement regarding the door handles. I would be more than happy to research your VIN and see if you have any open recalls or service announcements. Please feel free to private message me or send me an email to socialmedia@gm.com with “ATTN GREG” in the subject line if you would like me to do this for you. I hope to hear from you soon.

Gregory W.
Cadillac Customer Care

#31 ·
Owner Letter

July 2010

Dear GM Customer:

As the owner of a 2007 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Sierra, Yukon, or Yukon XL vehicle, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2007 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles may have a peeling condition on the top surface of the front or rear chrome interior door handle(s) that could create a rough edge. A chrome plating irregularity combined with direct sunlight exposure may cause the plating to separate from the top surface of the handle.

Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What We Have Done: General Motors is providing owners of 2007 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles with additional protection for the front and rear chrome interior door handles. If this condition occurs on your 2007 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Sierra, Yukon, or Yukon XL within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 100,000 miles (160,000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge . Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.

What You Should Do: Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to contact your GM dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

Reimbursement: The form explains what reimbursement is available and how to request reimbursement if you have paid for repairs for the special coverage condition. Your request for reimbursement, including the information and documents mentioned on the enclosed form, must be received by GM by July 31, 2012.

If you have any questions or need any assistance to better understand related repairs, please contact your dealer. If you have questions related to a potential reimbursement, please contact the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below.

We are sorry for any inconvenience you may experience; however we have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products.

Customer and Relationship Services

Enclosure

© 2013 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions

#32 ·
Owner Letter

July 2010

Dear GM Customer:

As the owner of a 2007 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Sierra, Yukon, or Yukon XL vehicle, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us.

This letter is intended to make you aware that some 2007 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles may have a peeling condition on the top surface of the front or rear chrome interior door handle(s) that could create a rough edge. A chrome plating irregularity combined with direct sunlight exposure may cause the plating to separate from the top surface of the handle.

Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What We Have Done: General Motors is providing owners of 2007 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles with additional protection for the front and rear chrome interior door handles. If this condition occurs on your 2007 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe; GMC Sierra, Yukon, or Yukon XL within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 100,000 miles (160,000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge . Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.

What You Should Do: Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to contact your GM dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

Reimbursement: The form explains what reimbursement is available and how to request reimbursement if you have paid for repairs for the special coverage condition. Your request for reimbursement, including the information and documents mentioned on the enclosed form, must be received by GM by July 31, 2012.

If you have any questions or need any assistance to better understand related repairs, please contact your dealer. If you have questions related to a potential reimbursement, please contact the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below.

We are sorry for any inconvenience you may experience; however we have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products.

Customer and Relationship Services

Enclosure

© 2013 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved. Terms and Conditions

#35 ·
Hello big rob 1,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern with all four doors on your Escalade. We look at each customer situation on a case-by-case basis. We are more than happy to review your situation and explore any available options, but cannot guarantee cost assistance. Send us a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage and dealer name and location so we can further discuss your situation.

Sincerely,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

#38 ·
I haven't had this problem in the Escalade but my Sierra Denali driver door started to peel and sliced my wife's hand open. I bought a replacement on the bay for about $20 and put it on myself. Of course, I'd rather have had the dealer do the labor and buy the parts but this was over a year ago. Glad to know they're finally taking steps to make it right.

#41 ·
My 07 is now starting to have same problem. The seam at the top edge of the driver/passenger handles have become VERY sharp. A call to my local Cadillac dealer (Galles and Davis Cadillac Albuquerque) was useless. I provided my VIN and was told the letter was not applicable to my vehicle even though it is way under the 10 year age and mileage requirements!

I find this very disappointing especially when you consider how much these vehicles cost, not to mention how many caddy's I have owned. What about customer loyalty, totally unacceptable. I would just be happy if they would send them to me and I could install them myself!

What a bunch of crap, perhaps when I or my wife slices the crap out of our hands then they can pay for the new handles AND the doctors bills!

#45 ·
So Much for Customer Care!

Considering I too have this problem with pealing chrome interior handles I posted my disappointment with my local Cadillac dealer when I contacted them about this problem. Cadillac Customer Care asked me to pm them with the vehicle's VIN and mileage (which I did and included a picture of the problem). I was promptly answered by a Cadillac associate who basically told me Cadillac would not replace them under the program.

Needless to say I was very disappointed and thought I would share the complete private conversation with Cadillac here:

My Private message answer to Cadillac Customer care

Sharp peeling door handles

Austin,
My 2007 Escalade's VIN is: xxxxxxxxxx, Mileage xxxx, original in-service date 4-2-2007. I would be happy if Cadillac would just authorize providing me the replacement handles, I would even be willing (and prefer) to installing them myself (rather then having the dealership break half of the door clips and having a rattling door once there done).

Here is a picture of one of the handles, you can see the gray area where the chrome has pealed completely off. Then edge of the broken chrome plating is very sharp. The ones in the back are not as bad, they have some pitting but are not sharp like the drivers and front passenger.

Thank you for your time, Please feel free to contact me at xxxxxxxxxx.
Dan

Laura from Cadillac Customer Care's answer
Hi Dan,
I understand your situation is disheartening and I apologize for any inconvenience this has caused for you. After checking your VIN, it is not associated with any open recalls or service announcements. There are also no special coverages associated with your vehicle. We are more than happy to assist throughout the process of working with your Cadillac dealer, but cost assistance cannot be guaranteed. If you would like to proceed with this route, please let us know so we can contact your dealer on your behalf and schedule a service appointment.

Laura M. (assisting Austin)
Cadillac Customer Care

My Reply------
I must say I am surprised considering all the legal problems GM is facing regarding the ignition issues that Cadillac will not step up to cover this. While it is true about the worst thing that could happen is a very bad cut requiring minor medical treatment. In my opinion (and shared by many on the forum) the failure of Cadillac to replace a commonly known defect that could cause injury is something that is unworthy of the Cadillac brand and an issue I will consider when purchasing my next luxury vehicle. Please note, I will probably share this correspondence on the associated forum thread. It may help others in my same situation.
Dan

Laura from Cadillac Customer Care's final answer
Dan,

I understand this is not the resolution you were hoping to hear and deeply apologize for your current dissatisfaction. If additional questions or concerns arise, don't hesitate to contact us.

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care

My solution to the problem, I found Genuine GM replacement on ebay (both sides) for 15.00. (PN 19299865) Purchased and on the way. Once received I will install them myself. (and I even suggested that to Cadillac just to give me the parts!)

My final thought, as much as I like Cadillac and have purchased many through out the years why would they risk loosing a customer or create ill will over a stupid $15.00 part? My guess is that probably costs GM less then 5 bucks. The real kicker is that this is defective and can cause bodily injury to the consumer. Cadillac, bad form on this one! :drool:

#47 ·
Hi Wahoo1,

I am sorry that your door handles are cracking and I can see how it would be concerning. If you would like, I can run your VIN and see if there is anything associated with your vehicle related to this issue. Please PM me the VIN along with a reference to this thread and I can check it within our system.

Enjoy your evening,

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

#48 ·
Hey Cadillac Customer Care,

It's funny I shoud come across this thread.

I actually have a 2008, not a 2007, and a few weeks ago, my interior handle peeled pretty badly, and I actually sliced my finger pretty badly on the sharp chrome.

I did file it down, so it's less sharp (although it looks ugly).

The car is within 160,000KM, and within 10 Years of the purchase date.

I was pretty bummed out about this, and by chance came across this thread.

I'm glad to see GM is owning up to this, and offering to fix the issue within 160K and 10 years. Yet, the letter posted above only deals with 2007, I see.

I have an early production 2008.

And please don't tell me my vehicle is not part of this campaign, because I still have the blood stain (along with the flaked off chrome and sharp edge) to prove it.

What's the next step?

I'm going to the dealership on Friday as my 07 Solstice recal work is being done...

I look forward to having this sharp, flaking, interior handle replaced.

Thank you!

#49 ·
Hi Law Guy,

I am very sorry that you have this door handle issue with your Escalade and I apologize for any frustration you’ve experienced as a result. It does sound like you might be located in Canada and, unfortunately, we are currently only able to assist customers and dealerships located within the United States. However, if you would like some assistance in dealing with your chrome door handles, you can always reach out to GM of Canada by phone at 800-263-3777 or by visiting http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/corporate/about/contactus/overview. I hope you find this information helpful.

Enjoy your weekend,

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care

#50 ·
Thank you Austin,

This was actually an Escalade I bought in Rochester, NY, even though I am now in Canada.

In any case, could you please provide me with the campaign number or PIP or TSB number for the handles?

It seems ludicrous to me that GM has recognized the issue, and when people complain about it, sometimes GM owns up to it, and sometimes they say, "your vehicle is not part of the campaign".

I'd like to bring the campaign number to the dealership when I visit them on Friday, along with the letter wwceaton graciously shared with us.

If the dealership runs it through their computer, and they say my car is not part of it, then we can escalate this to a RSM.

Perhaps he or she can come to see my car during their next visit to the dealership, run their finger along the sharp handle, and verify their sliced finger for themselves.

Sorry for the negativity, but I have not once called or written to GM and received any kind of assistance whatsoever, beyond some "empathy" and a "tell me how it goes with the dealership."

It's really a shame. Living in a household with a grandfather and father who have always had Cadillacs, I have such strong loyalty to the brand. My loyalty has never been tested as much as it has with my current Caddies.

I hope that with ccweaton's letter, along with the specific TSB/Recall/Campaign number from you, the dealer will honor it without a fight.

I can deal with all the other trim issues on the Escalade (ugly fading emblems; peeling window reveals; orange peel paint.... but slicing up my finger on really sharp chrome that flakes off, is where I draw the line.)

Thank you!

#52 ·
Hi Austin,

Thanks for your reply.

I was just at the dealer, and guess what?

"Nothing we can do. Your VIN is not part of the campaign."

"But my handle is flaking off! I sliced my finger good!"
"Nope, GM won't pay me for it."

"But look at this letter for 2007's! Mine is a very early build 2008. Same problem."
"Nope. The only thing I have for your car is a throttle body issue."

"But all these people on the internet are also complaining. The chrome is sharp! It slices fingers."
"I know. My wife's car, too. It's sharp! But your car is not on the list. Nothing I can do."

Hey Austin - who decides which defective cars are part of the 100,000MI/10 YEAR campaign and which aren't?

Same problem. Same issue. Same truck. Same danger.
...Yet it looks like I am stuck with this.

Wow.

#57 ·
I'm having the same issue in my '09 Escalade. Knowing that GM can (and does) make exceptions to policy - has anyone had their handles replaced outside of the campaign requirements? Its extremely sickening to watch a company like GM that has been around for so long, and with their recent legal issues say "we know its a problem, and we know it was OUR FAULT this is happening (negligence in engineering and manufacturing), but we refuse to stand behind our product". And yet, people keep buying their vehicles...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.