UPDATE ON FIRE Recall for Heated Wipers - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, UPDATE ON FIRE Recall for Heated Wipers in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Greetings all fairly new owner of Black 07 Escalade here in Winnipeg (actually I bought it the exact day the ...
    A320 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 Escalade

Re: UPDATE ON FIRE Recall for Heated Wipers

Greetings all fairly new owner of Black 07 Escalade here in Winnipeg (actually I bought it the exact day the recall was announced for the second time go figure!). My truck is going in for some warranty work and I was notified that they would be executing this recall as well now.

I have read through this thread, and through the recall instructions (PDF file) for the dealerships.

I have ordered an AT37GM replacement unit from Alphatherm as I have to have this feature for our winters.

I just want to be clear on the next steps I need to take here so this all lines up. When I take the truck in next week, I should confirm with the mechanic that they will be leaving in the bracket and NOT cutting any wires correct? Also, I should be asking them to hold onto my 60amp fuse for me as well?

As long as those conditions are met, it should be a simple, drop, plug and play once my AT37GM unit arrives?

Thanks all for the good info.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

The bracket should be left in place, the wires are SUPPOSED to be cut on the module side, not on the vehicle harness side.
    I am not aware of whether or not the connections on the replacement module are the same or not but the vehicle harness should be left intact.

Someone has posted in a few places about installing these but I haven't read it over.
    I am sure you can ask them for the J fuse, we are instructed to discard them.

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post
    The bracket should be left in place, the wires are SUPPOSED to be cut on the module side, not on the vehicle harness side.
    I am not aware of whether or not the connections on the replacement module are the same or not but the vehicle harness should be left intact.

Someone has posted in a few places about installing these but I haven't read it over.
    I am sure you can ask them for the J fuse, we are instructed to discard them.
    Thanks for the response! Yes I went through the recall instruction booklet and also noticed that the wires are to be cut on the module side and then the harnesses replaced back into the vehicle.

So again in theory, if they do this correctly, I should have the wires and bracket all there in place for the replacement unit. I have to search for this other thread you mentioned.

Thanks again I will confer with my mechanic prior to them commencing the work so I know it is done right.

austin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ~2011 CTS-V Coupe & 2013 SRX~

Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post
    I don't really have a way to do that.
    The revision is like 30 pages long.
    I used to be able to print to PDF but both computers I did it with quit working for that.
    I might be able to take out some excerpts, and paste the text here, were you looking for specific portions?
    I was interested in the new part about declining the recall and what doing that consisted of.

This seems like it might be the most clarification I can get on that specific point:

Q12. What should I do if a customer refuses to have the recall service procedure performed on his/her vehicle?

A12. If a customer initially declines the recall repair, please make sure that he/she fully understands the possible consequences.

"An unattended (vehicle parked - key not in the "ON" position) under hood fire that can occur at any time and possibly involve nearby vehicles or structures."

If the customer still refuses, provide the customer with a copy of the "Notice to Customer" document contained in this bulletin, record "customer declined recall repair" on the repair order and, if possible, have the customer sign the repair order. Retain this repair order at the dealership.

dzar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV

Interesting... so they now claim that the heater can catch fire even if the vehicle is not on (running)? This is the first time I've heard that failure mode (and I've read the official release at GM and NHTSA). Seems the FUD factor is rising...

Ooops, here is the "notice to customer" statement.
    Seems important

Notice to Customer: General Motors released this product recall in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act because a defect that relates to motor vehicle safety exists in your vehicle.

It was implemented to address the potential consequences of a printed circuit board electrical short within the Heated Washer Fluid System (HWFS). The significance of this failure can vary from minor distortion to considerable melting of the plastic around the HWFS fluid chamber. In some circumstances, it is possible for the heated washer module to cause a fire.

This failure can occur at any time, even when the vehicle is unattended - parked and key not in the "ON" position. Note that a resulting under hood fire could also involve other nearby vehicles or structures.

Performance of this recall procedure will allow your GM dealer to eliminate these risks by permanently removing the HWFS from your vehicle.

In addition to the risk of a thermal incident, including a fire, it is possible that the HWFS will become inoperative at a future time. If this occurs, it will not be repaired or replaced by GM. Note that GM does not endorse or otherwise approve the use of any similar HWFS products that may be sold by aftermarket suppliers.

Even though you have declined to have this safety recall performed on your vehicle, please be advised that if you change your mind, your GM dealer will always be available to remove the HWFS from your vehicle and provide reimbursement according to the terms described in the recall notification letter.

As part of this declination process, your dealer will ask you to document your refusal to have Safety Recall 10153 performed on your vehicle by signing a Repair Order stating "customer declined recall repair". You will be given a copy of this document for your records. Of course, your signature is voluntary but doing so will help prevent the mailing of recall reminder notices to you as the current owner of record.

If you sell this vehicle, you should advise the buyer that this safety recall was not performed on the vehicle and that the recall repair is still available. This notice should also be placed in the glove box so that a future owner of this vehicle will be aware of this safety recall.

humberto is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 escalade

Hey guys just got my new heated washer unit the AT-37GM today so i decided to install it. The two plugs on the unit plugged into the GM harness ,clip the new unit on the bracket plugged the two hoses on to the unit and thats it. Took about 8 min to re and re.Very easy anyone can do it and im happy the way the unit looks like the original.

Update to my above posts. Escalade went in for it's service/recall today. Just brought it home and installed my AT37GM replacement unit. They left the bracket in place and cut the wires on the module side of the 2 harnesses. They didn't do this part EXACTLY as per the recall though, instead of cutting the wires different lengths and taping them together, they somehow cut the wires right up to the inside of the harnesses and then covered the ends of the harnesses with putty! In any case, didn't matter since the clips that came with the AT37GM replacement unit are both exactly the same as the stock clips. The replacement unit also came with some extra hosing and connectors which was useful because they trimmed the hoses down when they connected them to each other after removing my stock unit. GM also gave me my $105 refund (Canada).

Everything works as it should but my only question is how hot is the fluid supposed to actually get? My Escalade is recently acquired and I haven't had it through winter yet so I never noticed how hot the fluid gets with the stock heater. Upon touching it it's warm but not HOT. Is this how it normally operated before?

Thanks, if it wasn't for this forum and thread, I wouldn't have found this replacement and easy instructions!

It shouldn't be too hot, scalding water would shatter the windshield in extreme cold temperatures.
    Never tried to measure the temp, and now I guess I never will.

clk199 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Great Info. I just purchased a like new 08, and know this truck has not been in for the fix as of yet,,, looks like I will get the recall done, and install the above unit. Thanks!

conedoctor is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320

I wondered about the temp as well, the first cycle I don't get much steam but the second cycle the fluid is hot like steam pouring out hot.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.