UPDATE ON FIRE Recall for Heated Wipers - Page 7
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, UPDATE ON FIRE Recall for Heated Wipers in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Originally Posted by hcvone Maybe you would feel different if you owned an Escalade and loved this option, instead your ...
    The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

Re: UPDATE ON FIRE Recall for Heated Wipers

Quote Originally Posted by hcvone View Post
    Maybe you would feel different if you owned an Escalade and loved this option, instead your defending GM, and if your still feeling bad about GM just know that the Escalade is the highest profit car/truck in the GM line.
    As I said before- if it's that important to you, take the $100, buy the replacement module, wire it up and you'll have money left over. Win/win.

Quote Originally Posted by hcvone
    It's nice when the non Escalade owners come over here and talk crap.
    I didn't realize owning an Escalade was required to voice my opinion on an issue people are outrageously overreacting to on a forum I moderate. Oh wait- it's not!
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

SouthernLCC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Escalade AWD

Quote Originally Posted by The Tony Show View Post
    As I said before- if it's that important to you, take the $100, buy the replacement module, wire it up and you'll have money left over. Win/win.

I didn't realize owning an Escalade was required to voice my opinion on an issue people are outrageously overreacting to on a forum I moderate. Oh wait- it's not!
    And how exactly am I suppose to do that now that they have cut the harness wires and removed the holding bracket? I do not see this as an overreaction...

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

Read this right here, starting at page 15. If they really did cut the body side of the harness and removed the bracket, then they didn't follow the instructions on how to properly perform the removal. That's an issue with your Dealer, not GM.

All I'm saying is that if the recall is properly performed you can drop in a replacement unit and have money left over, which means no one is getting screwed out of a feature they paid for.
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

austin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ~2011 CTS-V Coupe & 2013 SRX~

To others worried about getting there harness cut, and/or bracket removed just decline the recall work to be performed. It's your choice, it's your escalade. There not holding a gun to your head when you go in. You have to authorize what work is to be done. If they give you a hard time either leave or BS them and set up an appointment for another day then cancel it later.

dzar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernLCC View Post
    So, I got my AT-37 in, and I do not see any bracket or wiring harness'. I called my dealer and he had no idea what they had done exactly on the recall. COuld I just be missing it, or are they bracket and harness' pretty apparent? I am not real pleased at this point if they removed the bracket and clipped the harness'...
    Any luck finding it? Do you know where it was before they removed it? It's under the driver window, against the firewall just to the left of the frame bracket in the engine compartment. It took me at least ten minutes to find it and I had to trace the fluid pipe. Just to the left of that bracket (which is flush so it's hard to see) is another bracket with the two wire harnesses moutned to it. One had the wires cut and taped, but it's the business end that went to the now non-existent pump, so removing the connectors gets that out of there and you just plug the new unit in.

Again, if these things are missing, then the dealer did not do the right thing as per the instructions for the recall. Maybe enough pressure on them to fix the damage they caused will get your bracket and connectors back? I'd give 'em hell for removing more than they should have if, indeed, they did.

Jochen is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

Great info on the AlphaTherm unit. Thanks for that!

Seems like an easy fix for a DIY guy. Just placed my order on the AT37 unit. They even ship to germany... 25 bucks postage - will even keep the costs below the 100 US$ check from GM... which i will never see, i guess.

Jochen

SouthernLCC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Escalade AWD

Quote Originally Posted by dzar View Post
    Any luck finding it? Do you know where it was before they removed it? It's under the driver window, against the firewall just to the left of the frame bracket in the engine compartment. It took me at least ten minutes to find it and I had to trace the fluid pipe. Just to the left of that bracket (which is flush so it's hard to see) is another bracket with the two wire harnesses moutned to it. One had the wires cut and taped, but it's the business end that went to the now non-existent pump, so removing the connectors gets that out of there and you just plug the new unit in.

Again, if these things are missing, then the dealer did not do the right thing as per the instructions for the recall. Maybe enough pressure on them to fix the damage they caused will get your bracket and connectors back? I'd give 'em hell for removing more than they should have if, indeed, they did.
    Update. I took it to the dealer today and they in fact had removed the bracket. They did not cut the wiring harness but they hid it so well it took them 30 minutes to find them. So they reinstalled my bracket. Took it home and installed it, up and working. My dealer has a bunch of tools working there and I dont mean the tools they use to work on cars...

humberto is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 escalade

Quote Originally Posted by NoExpert View Post
    How in the world will you fellas ever get by without heated windshield washer fluid?

850,000 recalls x $100 a pop = $85,000,000 GM is paying out (roughly), that they didn't have to.

What would you guys do if GM didn't send you a fricken dime for the faulty heater?
    GM can stick there 100 dollars up you know where.It would be less of an insult to me if they just didnt pay anything.

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by humberto View Post
    GM can stick there 100 dollars up you know where.It would be less of an insult to me if they just didnt pay anything.

Well if you get a $100 check just pack it up and send it back to GM.
    The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

North49 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 Escalade AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Rolex View Post

I would be just as happy if they sent me the money then left me alone. I've used it a total of 3 times and 2 times were to see if the system still worked Strange as it seems ........ I don't want to loose it. I will get the Alpha therm unit to replace it

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

As I mentioned in another thread.
    GM has added language to the most recent release of the recall to allow customers to opt out.
    It doesn't "close" the recall so you might be hounded again and again to have it done but you CAN decline.
    I haven't read it yet but I read the cliffs notes version that indicated there was opt out information in the latest release.

humberto is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 escalade

Quote Originally Posted by Rolex View Post

Hey i could wipe my bum pack it then send it back to GM

austin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ~2011 CTS-V Coupe & 2013 SRX~

Quote Originally Posted by ewill3rd View Post
    As I mentioned in another thread.
    GM has added language to the most recent release of the recall to allow customers to opt out.
    It doesn't "close" the recall so you might be hounded again and again to have it done but you CAN decline.
    I haven't read it yet but I read the cliffs notes version that indicated there was opt out information in the latest release.

Could you please post a copy of this latest revision. Thank you.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

I don't really have a way to do that.
    The revision is like 30 pages long.
    I used to be able to print to PDF but both computers I did it with quit working for that.
    I might be able to take out some excerpts, and paste the text here, were you looking for specific portions?

Rolex is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): 2008 Nissan Titan, 1996 Jeep Wrangler

Quote Originally Posted by humberto View Post
    Hey i could wipe my bum pack it then send it back to GM

The above post is my 2 cents....nothing more.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.