UPDATE ON FIRE Recall for Heated Wipers - Page 5
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, UPDATE ON FIRE Recall for Heated Wipers in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Yes..Functions just as it does currently....
    WaterKing is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade EXT and 2012 Volt

Re: UPDATE ON FIRE Recall for Heated Wipers

Yes..Functions just as it does currently.

Unit came in yesterday....Good instructions, quick shipment. Will put on this weekend and provide comments/pictures then.

Took longer to read instructions and gather tools than it took to uninstall old unit and install new one. 7 minutes. No pictures but instructions well illustrated and SHOULD BE FOLLOWED. Four comments:
    1. A narrow 12-14" screwdriver makes it easier.
    2. For those that are mechanically challenged: use a 10mm socket wrench and remove the corner brace first for easier access.
    3. For those that drop screws to never find them again or they go into inaccessible places: tie a string or tie strap on the upper hose that goes to the wipers BEFORE you remove it. The wretched thing tries to go back under the fender lip into the recess and you might spend more time trying to fish it out than the entire rest of the installation.
    4. If you get the Safety recall done first: make sure they give you the 60amp fuse back that they remove otherwise you will have to buy another.

The kit came with extension hoses/fittings (not needed in my case) which I will use for some other project.
    It is quicker to heat up and activate than the stock unit. Make sure you do run the washer from the stalk with the power plug (or before the 60 amp fuse is reinstalled) disconnected to fill the unit before heating is activated.

dzar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV

WaterKing,

so which unit do you end up with? Which part number, that is. Thanks for being the guinea pig!

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

To all the people ranting and raving about GM being "Mickey Mouse" or "cheap", be glad that they identified a safety issue, openly admitted it and are removing the heater to make your car safer so you, your home or family don't get burned to a crisp. They're not only handing out $100 to the 1.5 million people involved (which is costing them a fortune), but they also have to pay the dealerships mechanic for every single removal (which is another fortune). If there was a way for them to just replace the unit, believe me they would be. It's costing them far more to do it this way, so they must not be 100% certain that the new heater is any better than the old one.

If heated washer fluid is that important to you AND you don't mind putting an untested part on your car and risking fire, take the $100 and go buy the replacement heater yourself. You come out with $20 left over, heated washer fluid, and are now back at risk of a fire. Hoo-ray.

Honestly, the whining is mind boggling. Perhaps you'd all be happier if GM treated this like Toyota handles their safety issues and hid the problem until a few people died, then only issued a recall after a Senate hearing and NHTSA investigation?
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

SouthernCaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV

Well, I am not boo hooing but I dont like the idea that Obama motors fix is to reomove this from you truck and give you $100. What would it cost to add this to a truck? I bet if you added it from the factory it would cost more than $100 to have it. So why the $100 bucks? My Toyota friends are laughing because the high end Caddy has a recall and Obama motors cant fix it so they remove it. What is next? Maybe if the rear A/c shorts will they just remove it? If you keep removing the items you paid for you will end up with a ford!!!! And I dont want that!!!! I wish they would at least remove the button in the dash so that it will not be there. If it doesnt work it should be on the truck!!

I will go get my $100 bucks and we will see what happens next.

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

I hear you man, but look- people have already discovered that a replacement module can be had for around $75. If the public can buy them one at a time for $75, GM could probably buy them in bulk for $40 per unit or less. That means that they're spending over twice as much issuing the refunds as they would by just replacing the units. This action has nothing to do with Obama or cost cutting, and everything to do with public safety and ensuring that you car doesn't burn to the ground.

And tell your friends with the Toyotas to watch out- even though they've had their gas pedals fixed and their car is no longer in danger of shooting out of control and killing them, it looks like another recall for stalling engines is coming soon. Even if I'd buy one of Toyota's appliance cars (spoiler: I wouldn't), I sure as heck wouldn't be mocking ANYONE for their car needing a recall. Be glad the people who made your car didn't wait until a few people suffered fiery death to fix a problem they knew about like Toyota did.
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

dzar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV

With this reasoning, I think the engines should be removed and a check for $1000 (it's bigger than the washer fluid heater, you know ) issued to GM owners affected (1.5 million, again, coincidence?):
    http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE53D31P20090414

I think the major complaint is not that there is a recall but that the fix is not to FIX anything but to disable and remove the faulty device.

buckeyefan007 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade 2007

So I had the recall done today. The dealer cut me the $100 check right there and gave me my 60amp fuse to boot. Now I guess I will go ahead and order the unit from AlphaTherm and install it.

Like it was said early it is not the recall the upsets me it is the fact that there answer is to disable able it and leave it. Honestly, this is setting a precident. What could be next? Will this mean now that recalls will not have to be fixed, just cut check and walk away?? This was one of the many features I really wanted when I bought the truck.

Sprint97 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade, Diamond white

I purchased a 2008 on 6/23/10 with 21,000 miles on it and the right front door lock would not unlock electronically with the other three. I took it to the local Cadillac dealer 7/01/10 and it was the electric washer fluid heater had damaged the electronic lock module on the RF door. They replaced the lock module and deactivated the heater. Said we would receive a check for $100 in abouit four weeks. No complaints from me.

SouthernCaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Escalade ESV

got mine done this morning, my check is in the mail.....I used the heater all the way to the dealer so at least I can remember what it was. Button is still there just doesnt lite up anymore....

PreachRR is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade

Had mine done the other day got the check a week later.. I am cool with it.. You know.. you can complain about what ever you want.. Is the escalade perfect .. not by any means.. but mine is a great truck and so far I am a happy customer.. they found a problem and offered a moderate fix..
    Oh man .. I know you did not say your toyota buddies are laughing at you.. common really.. When was the last time GM had their cars flying out of control.. and KNEW ABOUT IT BUT DECIDED TO IGNORE IT ANYWAY!!.. Toyotas are for consumer report jockeys that probably not even know how to change a tire.. (sorry to be rude) but in all truth the last people that should have anything to complain about is toyota!

sksmoker is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 Escalade

I have a stupid question... we are looking at a 2009 escalade. There is no button on the console where I have seen it before. Did it get moved during the year or ?? I have looked at the popular car sale sites for 2009 escalades and it seems to be really hit and miss if the button is even on the console.

Thanks!

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

It shouldn't be hit and miss at all.
    The feature was deleted for '09 production after the first revision of the recall.

sksmoker is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 Escalade

Ok, thanks for the info. Some of the 09's had it and some did not which was confusing me.

Thanks!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.