UPDATE ON FIRE Recall for Heated Wipers - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, UPDATE ON FIRE Recall for Heated Wipers in Cadillac Escalade Forums; w_w.mediafire.com/file/gzwdczyrgem/nps5EC3.pdf The above link will allow you to download the instructions your dealer uses to remove the heated washer system....
    CRL1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac Escalade ESV

Re: UPDATE ON FIRE Recall for Heated Wipers

w_w.mediafire.com/file/gzwdczyrgem/nps5EC3.pdf

The above link will allow you to download the instructions your dealer uses to remove the heated washer system.

buckeyefan007 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade 2007

Wel I feel this is a feature I paid for and I am almost ceratinif you broke down the package it comes in I was charged more than the $100 they are supposedly going to give. The truck was advertised with this feature. May be take them to court for false adverising???

I highly doubt one could find an after market part to work for $100 installed. Besides who wants some one jury rigging the wires to get it to work? This is a fire hazard already with out cutting and splicing wires right?? Is this not their Flagship vehicle?? They should find a way to fix it right, they already had one chance to fix!

WaterKing is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade EXT and 2012 Volt

Angry Re: UPDATE ON FIRE Recall for Heated Wipers

According to the site: http://alphathermusa.com/heatedwash-AT-37GM.html There is a plug and play solution...however the recall has all the plug ends cut off. I understand GM not wanting to go through another "we made changes but it didn't seem to be fully successful" debacle but it would seem that they could cut a big deal with the above company that makes the manufacturer responsible for anything directly related to the heater and just replace it with the supposedly better unit for less than the $100 offered. If I responsibly consider the current system a risk and voluntarily purchase and install the cited unit does this mean that GM will take my aftermarket unit out and cut the plugs off if they get there hands on my vehicle? If I wait until they have already done the recall I will have the added cost of connectors and will still run the risk of an overzealous dealer seeing the unit during a routine service and ripping it out. The company's other universal unit might be a better choice anyway because it requires no push of the heated washer switch and no wiring to the inside of vehicle. That way I can use the heated washer switch on the dash to deactivate VSS so I can effectively use GPS or activate rear view camera to see what the trailer is doing.

Ronin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '07 Escalade ESV AWD

^^^ Nice find WaterKing! So basically for around $70 (provided your dealer hasn't already done the recall and cut wiring harnesses, etc.) you could buy this unit, swap it out, keep the feature and Cadillac would be off the hook. Not a bad idea to get around the recall, keep the feature and be safe about it at the same time.

As far as being personally and financially liable for damages caused if the recall isn't done as mentioned earlier, that would be an extremely long and difficult, if not impossible, case to prove and shouldn't worry anyone for a second. And unless it happened to the very next person you sold it to, if it happens 10 owners down the line, 20 years later, the next to last knucklehead owner could potentially be on the hook so to speak, not the original owner at the time of the recall. (I'm NOT an attorney, but do like to play one them there intrawebs!) Do you have any idea how many vehicles are running around out there with much more serious/significant recalls that haven't been done? Not everyone takes their vehicle to the dealer for service and recall notices end up in the trash all the time...

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

The connectors (both ends of both of them) stay on the vehicle. You cut the heater off of the harness and tape up the wires so that you don't get water intrusion into the harness.
    A replacement module will plug right in and snap into the bracket.
    This is really much ado about nothing.
    There are several other threads that indicate the company that bought the rights to microheat's technology has improved the system and is offering replacement heaters for $65.

I would agree that it is unlikely that these things will catch fire and burn to the ground but if the chances were zero then GM wouldn't be doing the recall.
    My point was, if you intentionally don't have it done you are legally liable. If that is a 1 in 10 chance or a 1 in a billion, I still wouldn't take it.
    (personally)

No not everyone takes their car to the dealer, but odds are even better that with most of the technology on these cars and poor support in the aftermarket that all of them will end up in a dealer shop sooner or later.

Actually CLR1 first mentioned the replacement heater company and after rereading the bulletin ewill3rd is correct that the wiring harness connectors remain intact. That still leaves the question that if I let them do the recall and then install the aftermarket unit that they or another dealer at a subsequent service may think it wasn't done/done correctly and cut out the aftermarket unit. I am not concerned about my present servicing dealer because they use every conceivable excuse to avoid warranty work. So far I have had to remove EVERY accessory installed post new purchase even if it was a GM accessory/part to prove it wasn't the cause of some problem except the GM alarm, 2way remote, and chrome gas cover. My 2008 is now virtually stock after removing Platinum front fascia, GM wind deflector, CB antenna, Borla exhaust, ACS extractor hood, GM CAI, 24" wheels etc. just to get some warranty issue somewhat resolved so I don't feel very dealer friendly and it aggravates me to have a feature I like removed that was installed originally. I like the EXT's so much I bought another 2007 that will see a dealer only if there is NO OTHER recourse. Sorry about the rant.

As I said here or somewhere else, it doesn't matter if the thing is there.
    A dealer isn't going to do it again because

1. We are not supposed to do any recall unless it shows "open" in the history report
    2. We don't get paid to work for free.
    3. Most people would never see the freakin thing during regular service and they would likely look at it and then move on with their lives, or check the history and see it was done already.

CRL1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Cadillac Escalade ESV

I have downloaded the complete GM Recall Bulletin for this recall.
    It is 1.99Mb 26 pages too big for me to upload in a post, any was to get this on the forum.

SouthernLCC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Escalade AWD

At Dealership having a few things done and they are doing my recall. Proactively told me they are cutting me a check. Has anyone ordered the referenced aftermarket part?

I have emailed the company for more information...No response yet.

SouthernLCC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Escalade AWD

Quote Originally Posted by WaterKing View Post
    I have emailed the company for more information...No response yet.
    Thanks. Keep us posted. I guess the next logical question becomes the install...

humberto is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 escalade

I find it very hard to believe GM cant just fix it the right way how mickey mouse is that?Thats just embarasing.

buckeyefan007 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade 2007

Quote Originally Posted by humberto View Post
    I find it very hard to believe GM cant just fix it the right way how mickey mouse is that?Thats just embarasing.
    I have to agree with you there.

GM didn't make the part, Mickey Mouse did.
    Since the company that made the thing was bankrupted by the last recall how would you suggest a company that doesn't exist revamp the part?
    As stated in other places, another company is offering a module that may be plug and play for about $65.
    Not sure if it will be truly plug and play but....

K9Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 AWD Escalade Ultra Luxury Raven Black

Yes, but GM is responsible for the "Mickey Mouse" company they chose to begin with. We purchase a product and expect it to work, regardless of the recall. Fix it. Plain and simple. We paid for these features, not for GM to omit them at their own will. Then offering a ridiculous $100 check?? Seriously? The company wonders why they were in the position they were in...

How "Mickey Mouse" is the rest of the 70k truck? If the company that makes the transmission's for GM goes bankrupt, does that mean they remove the trans and we can't drive it anymore? That's a pretty close analogy to the one above.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.