OBDII Communication Failure
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, OBDII Communication Failure in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Just took the truck to get the NYS inspection and it failed because the the car could not communicate with ...
    GreenLade is offline Cadillac Owners Member

OBDII Communication Failure

Just took the truck to get the NYS inspection and it failed because the the car could not communicate with the state computer to run the emissions, anybody else ever had this. The tech said it could just be a fuse. Anyone know about this? It said the connectors are OK, but not communicating.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

dixit is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 ESV

Re: OBDII Communication Failure

Its your 20Amp fuse under the hood. Its labelled I believe as LTR (for Cigarette Lighter) I believe. Im not in front of my car to know for sure. But i want to say the fuse is in the 50 range, its labelled as 50 or something. Take a look. That cigarette lighter fuse actually also controls the OBDII plug power, so if thats blown you cannot get the OBDII/CAN to talk to the computer because 12V is missing.

This will fix your problem for sure, just replace that burned out 20A fuse.

Dixit

LeftLane is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): ESCALADE

All state inspections blows I'm so glad Ohio trashed ours

steve841 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Escalade ext

Quote Originally Posted by LeftLane View Post
    All state inspections blows I'm so glad Ohio trashed ours
    DITTO for Florida!

What a joke that whole scam is !!!

Quote Originally Posted by dixit View Post
    Its your 20Amp fuse under the hood. Its labelled I believe as LTR (for Cigarette Lighter) I believe. Im not in front of my car to know for sure. But i want to say the fuse is in the 50 range, its labelled as 50 or something. Take a look. That cigarette lighter fuse actually also controls the OBDII plug power, so if thats blown you cannot get the OBDII/CAN to talk to the computer because 12V is missing.

Dixit
    I forgot to put the year of the truck, it is an 07, do you think the same applies? Are 2nd gen Escalades the same with this as 3rd gen? Just wondering because my cousin has an 02 .

Quote Originally Posted by dixit View Post

Dixit
    You were right the fuse was blown, i will take it back to get re-inspected tomorrow and know for sure. Thanks for the info.

dixit is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 ESV

Good deal.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

The machine looks for power on pin 16 on the DLC (connector), if the fuse is blown it will fail for no communication.
    On Escalade for some unknown (and stupid) reason they power the DLC with the same fuse that works the cigar lighter.
    The cigar lighter in in an awful position on Escalade and it apparently has a coin magnet inside of it.

Coin + open cigar lighter socket = blown fuse.
    I have lost count of how many times I have seen this happen.

Good to know, thanks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.