Help! Check Engine Light
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Help! Check Engine Light in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Just 3k miles in, my check engine light popped up on my 09' Escalade Hybrid. I took it in to ...
    estatesatty is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Help! Check Engine Light

Just 3k miles in, my check engine light popped up on my 09' Escalade Hybrid. I took it in to the dealer, they re-set the light and then sent me on my way. Fifteen minutes later, it came back on again. Any ideas? Anyone else had a problem like this? Car drives normal otherwise.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ronin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '07 Escalade ESV AWD

Re: Help! Check Engine Light

Without knowing the exact code it could be a myriad of things...either find out the code and problem description from the dealer who "fixed" it, or go to AutoZone (or similar type place) and they'll pull the code for the bubble...

Took it in today. I was told it was a leak in the exhaust system. I believe the terminology was a vacuum leak. Can someone enlighten me about this? From what I am told, this just means that there was a leak somewhere between the exhaust coming off the block and hitting the muffler. Anyone else experienced this with an 09' Escalade? Any advice on whether this is going to be a constant pain or a way to avoid the issue moving forward? My service rep told me that it could take them up to 2 days to find the leak, but that in the worse case, they would put some smoke in the system and look to see where it was leaking from. Once the leak was found, they would replace the part/seal the leak and it shouldn't be a problem moving forward. After only 3k miles having this problem on a 75k SUV, I am not very happy...

Ronin is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '07 Escalade ESV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by estatesatty View Post
    Took it in today. I was told it was a leak in the exhaust system. I believe the terminology was a vacuum leak. Can someone enlighten me about this? From what I am told, this just means that there was a leak somewhere between the exhaust coming off the block and hitting the muffler. Anyone else experienced this with an 09' Escalade? Any advice on whether this is going to be a constant pain or a way to avoid the issue moving forward? My service rep told me that it could take them up to 2 days to find the leak, but that in the worse case, they would put some smoke in the system and look to see where it was leaking from. Once the leak was found, they would replace the part/seal the leak and it shouldn't be a problem moving forward. After only 3k miles having this problem on a 75k SUV, I am not very happy...
    I can completely empathize with you...mine's less than a month old, less than 2K miles and it's been in the shop twice for warranty repairs for a total of 4 days, and when I picked it up today I didn't get down the road from the dealership before I got a CEL for a TPMS error from one of the tires (which they had serviced when they replaced my crappy oxidized/chrome flaking wheels). It's aggravating but I'm patient as long as the dealer is on top of it, which at least for now they are...

I wouldn't sweat your situation. A vacuum leak is no big deal at all, although I'd like to think they wouldn't need two days to chase it down. It's maddening owning a $75K truck and having that nice bright yellow/orange CEL glowing at you, isn't it?!

yeh, the worst is that I came from a vw touareg which was the biggest pos I have ever seen. My purchase of the escalade was really to avoid all the trips to the dealer required by the vw. I am going to lose it, if I become as familiar with my caddie service guy as I did with the vw guy.

ewill3rd is offline Cadillac Technician
    Automobile(s): none

A vacuum leak would be in the intake side of the engine, basically anything between the MAF sensor and the intake valves like an intake gasket, loose hose, or something similar.

No one can tell you what is wrong with a car because the check engine light is on. There are literally hundreds of codes that can make that happen. Without knowing the actual code it would be retarded to even take a guess.
    I hope it stays fixed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.