Gate Opener Programming Problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Gate Opener Programming Problems in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Hello, I was just wondering if anyone else was having problems programming their universal opener in a 2007 Escalade. I ...
    mparmar23 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Gate Opener Programming Problems

Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone else was having problems programming their universal opener in a 2007 Escalade. I got my rolling code garage door openers programmed fine, but I am having a problem programming the gate opener to my neighborhood.

In my 2004 Escalade, I had no problems with the Homelink opener and got everything programmed on the first try. However, with the Lear system that Cadillac decided to go with in the 2007s, I can't get my simple gate opener to work. My rolling code garages programmed fine and quickly, but this gate opener is a thorn in my side at this point.

I was gonna see if anyone had any suggestions. According to Lear, if you don't have a 'dip switch' opener, you have to use the rolling code method to program any other openers.

Have any of you guys had these same problems or is it just me? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks as always.

Mike

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

pladner is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2003 Escalade & 2007 EXT

Re: Gate Opener Programming Problems

I had the same problem and I found out that the 07 is not a homelink. it is a Lear system. Go to www.learcar2u.com and you will find the instructions. Look for and download car2u_manual.pdf.

DrLogan is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Wow..and to think the dealership told me it could not be done. Lazy bastards!

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

I had a gate at my Montana home and both 07' opened it, my two 07' have different "homelink" in them. One worked like the owners manual, my newer 07' had different instructions that were in an envelope given to me at delivery.

I talked to my dealer to see if there were more instructions, but they said there was no Lear opener addendum for the 2007 Escalade manual. I also went to the lear website and got the instructions, but they are basically the same "rolling code" instructions as in the manual and I still can't program my opener. I don't get why they say to use the rolling code method when there is no learning button on the gate opener...there is only the remote. Does the Lear system learn by me pressing the button on my gate opener? I guess I need to contact Lear. This is just frustrating because this should be something relatively simple to do and was with the old Homelink system. It's just becoming a big headache at this point...

Thanks for all the input. If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know. Thanks...

Mike

Just to put an end to this thread, I contacted lear and here is what I got back from them for anyone that is having problems with their universal opener:

"I apologize that at present the Car2U system will not work with that device. However, Lear has identified several solutions that will allow Car2U to operate with gates but we need to obtain some information regarding your subdivision in order to resolve this issue.

•Is this a private gate or community gate?
    •What is your telephone number?
    • What is your address?
    • If it is a community gate, what is your subdivision name?
    • What is the name/telephone number of your Homeowners Association contact that is responsible for the gate?
    • How many gates are in your community?
    • What is the 2 digit FC ID number and 5 digit code located on the back of your hand held transmitter?
    • What is your vehicle interior color? What color are the UHR buttons in your vehicle?

We would like to contact your Homeowners Association and discuss adding an external receiver to the gate that would allow Car2U to work.

I will forward your information to Lear and when a resolution has been obtained we will get back to you.

Thank you for contacting us, and please feel free to call or email us with further inquiries.

Lear Car2U Customer Service Center"

How ridiculous is this!! I'm sure the home owner's association is going to love adding an external receiver to their system just because my 2007 Escalade isn't capable of opening a gate that any car from the 1990s with a Homelink system can open. How I miss Homelink right now!! Anyway, thanks to everyone for their input.

Mike

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

My gate at our home had a "learn"/ program button, it was just like programming the garage door openers for me, sorry yours does not work it.

jonhamlet is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Escalade ESV, 2009 Escalade

IT IS RIDICULOUS!

After installing the units I have received from Car2U, my Escalade garage door opening system still doesn’t work with my new 2009 Escalade. It will sometimes close my garage doors, but not open them. I and my wife now have another two hours invested in what was once a 2 minute operation for our new Cadillac’s.

After taking delivery of my new 2009 Escalade yesterday, I spent over an hour trying to program the garage door opener. The next day, I have another hour invested and finally called the “help” number in the manual. They did finally call me back and had me do the same procedure that I had already done countless times. They then announced that this new system would not work with my Overhead Garage door system (my house was built in 1994) and that it would necessary to install devices in my garage door system (all three) to make it work.

This is ridiculous. In the past with all the Cadillac’s I’ve owned, this programming was a simple one or two minute exercise and has always worked flawlessly. And now I have to change MY HOME to work with the 2009 Cadillac?

I asked about my other Escalade and was told it would still work OK. When I complained they kept insisting that they were sending me these units free of charge, to which I responded, “Are you also going to come and install these devices?”

This is a glaring error on Cadillac’s behalf and I’m sure the call center is busy these days.

Angry Re: Gate Opener Programming Problems

You're absolutely correct! The Lear Universal system IS BEYOND RIDICULOUS. It's a flat out RIP OFF to Cadillac Customers!

This is totally on GM/Cadillac. Why change from Homelink? Every car that I have with the Homelink system has worked flawlessly and is programmed in a couple of minutes. Yet, the $70K Escalade I own is the vehicle that causes me problems and Lear wants me & my home owner's association to install all these modules when my home was built in 2004. WHAT A FREAKIN' RIP OFF!!

Sorry everyone, but this is a HUGE point of contention with me because Cadillac got away from Homelink when that system worked with consumers' equipment. I just wonder about the decision making process of these people. This is yet another example of GM's complete incompetence and lack of attention to detail. While paying this much money for a truck, it's a very reasonable expectation for all the equipment to work properly.

txlaw2002 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2008 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by mparmar23 View Post
    Just to put an end to this thread, I contacted lear and here is what I got back from them for anyone that is having problems with their universal opener:

"I apologize that at present the Car2U system will not work with that device. However, Lear has identified several solutions that will allow Car2U to operate with gates but we need to obtain some information regarding your subdivision in order to resolve this issue.

•Is this a private gate or community gate?
    •What is your telephone number?
    • What is your address?
    • If it is a community gate, what is your subdivision name?
    • What is the name/telephone number of your Homeowners Association contact that is responsible for the gate?
    • How many gates are in your community?
    • What is the 2 digit FC ID number and 5 digit code located on the back of your hand held transmitter?
    • What is your vehicle interior color? What color are the UHR buttons in your vehicle?

We would like to contact your Homeowners Association and discuss adding an external receiver to the gate that would allow Car2U to work.

I will forward your information to Lear and when a resolution has been obtained we will get back to you.

Thank you for contacting us, and please feel free to call or email us with further inquiries.

Lear Car2U Customer Service Center"

How ridiculous is this!! I'm sure the home owner's association is going to love adding an external receiver to their system just because my 2007 Escalade isn't capable of opening a gate that any car from the 1990s with a Homelink system can open. How I miss Homelink right now!! Anyway, thanks to everyone for their input.

Mike
    I was told the same thing from lear. the bitch is they said they spoke with my homeowners association and they refused to allow lear to install their device. Not only do the gates for my community (7 neighborhoods) not work with the escalade, they will not work with any GM vehicle manufactured after 2006. Eventually, anybody with a gm vehicle, will not be able to operate their gates. I think i smell a class action in their future. What BS. Recall them all and replace with homelink.

volzalum is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

You as a homeowner should be able to call the homeowners association and ask them for the watch settings on their master gate control. Then you can program the system using the dip switch method. Most gates are fixed code because the rolling code devices limit the number of devices that can be synced. The fixed code is just a duplicated signal. My homeowners association opened their master remote and told me the position of the dip settings.

wyoescalade is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade

I have a 2010 Escalade and my garage door opener is Liftmaster with Security+ 2.0, from what I found out I have the CAR2U system because it has the 3 LEDs it's not homelink version. I tried many times to get it to work when I purchased the vehicle initially but ended up using a remote, when I finally called Car2u, they could careless if my remote in my vehicle works and blame Chamberlain because they built a system that universal remote does not support. I asked is there anyway to upgrade the module on my vehicle to make it compatible? they don't know yet they manufacture this car2u system I wanted all my options not just them telling me to buy a repeater that many people say doesn't work especially if you have interference on the 310 lower frequency and many times I asked car2u about a module exchange so I can have a system that works since basically I paid for a module that doesn't work. I guess as long as I have a modern vehicle but a old garage door opener then I'd be fine, but if I have a modern vehicle and modern opener then too bad (I have never been able to use my vehicle buttons because no one cares, Car2u got there money and Cadillac so who cares. I have no recourse and I have heard no one on here say anything about Cadillac replacing these modules because the current module won't work so the buttons are worthless and I have read on other forums that the repeaters cost more then buying a compatible longer range remote so why pay for a weak repeater that other forums say occasionally loses it's programming and poor range and interference prone? I think the solution that Car2go offers is JUNK because the repeater doesn't fix any interference or range issues to the repeater only the signal thatr triggers the opener to open. I feel hung out to dry by Cadillac and Car2U. Am I wrong? I don't consider the repeater a valid solution, I asked Car2u if they could exchange mine for a compatible module and they simply have no solution... Worthless provider and I hope that Cadillac/General Motors reconsiders the use of this vendor when they build later even though they do have a possible working solution in the 2013 module Cadillac. I ask can the 2013 module that supports security+ 2.0 be put into my 2010 and I'll give them back the module that does not work. I guess buy the latest technology in the vehicle but the 3 button remote is not the latest, something people should consider when they buy there next GM - don't pay for this option since it's useless!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.