Question about dealer prep
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Question about dealer prep in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I always buy black cars and I hate when they get those fine scratches and swirl marks. I am picking ...
    joeg679 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Question about dealer prep

I always buy black cars and I hate when they get those fine scratches and swirl marks. I am picking my EXT up at the end of the week and I noticed that some of the cars on the lot had those fine scratches and these were brand new cars. I figured that it must be from the dealer prepping them an washing and waxing them. I told the salesman that I didn't want mine washed or waxed because I figured that I could avoid at least some of the scratches off the bat. Was this stupid, am I overreacting? What exactly do they do when they prep the vehicle? Do I have to wax the car when I get it home? The dealer looked at me like I am crazy, but a friend of mine who is a BMW salesman told me to reuwest that they don't prep it and I thought it made sense. Thanks for your input.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

Re: Question about dealer prep

I have not let a dealership prep my cars/trucks since 1986, I tell them to remove the interior plastic, clean the windows inside, inspection (required in PA) check the fluid levels and that is it. If upon inspecting the car and it arrived dirty from the trip I some times depending on the time of the year will wash it at the dealership, many dealerships will let you do this, if not I take it home and get to work detailing, you will find that not letting the dealership prep the car/truck will save you from having to remove all the scratches they would have put into the finish.

Thanks, now I don't feel crazy. So when I bring the car home and wash it do I have to wax it as well?

Well you "never" have to wax it if you do not want to, of course it would look like crap after a while. I always do the following process to all my new cars/trucks, wash with Dawn, dry, clay your car/truck, rewash, dry, apply your favorite wax or sealant, synthetic "waxes"/ "sealants" will outlast carnauba waxes 5 to 1 in durability. I usually spend 4-6 hours on interior and exterior on my new cars/trucks, but it's the best time to do it when they are new.

gs430 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Check out autopia.org learn to wash,wax etc. the right way

TSS
    TSS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 Lade & 06 SRX (Gone); 2010 Enclave CXL; 2010 MKS Ecoboost

For wax, one word: Zaino. Best stuff I have ever used.

STEALTHBOMBER is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 Escalade, 07 EXT(Stolen),09 EXT

hit the truck with a power washer when you first it will remove most of the dirt and you will avoid the marks.... if you want to go the extra length clay bar the truck and then wax it

Wow, thanks. What type of wax do you suggest. I know TSS suggests Zaino, any other suggestions? Thanks a lot

We had 36 detail shops in the 80's and 90's, we applied mostly Meguiar's products, they would good but just do not offfer much in terms of durability, been using Zaino for about 12 years and selling it for 10 years, nothing lasts longer.

http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc

I tried to order the stuff, but they apparently don't ship to NJ and they are based out of NJ. I emailed them to see what is going on. Also, do I need the accelerator?

Quote Originally Posted by joeg679 View Post
    I tried to order the stuff, but they apparently don't ship to NJ and they are based out of NJ. I emailed them to see what is going on. Also, do I need the accelerator?
    That is because we are the PA/NJ distributor, the factory will send you our contact info You need ZFX if you want to do multi coats, if you are not doing multi coats you could go with Z-AIO and Z-5, the Z-AIO is an all in one cleaner wax/base coat, the Z-5 because your color is black, this product fills and covers light scratches while giving great protection as well, a must if you have a dark color car/truck.

Well, it is a brand new truck, so I don't know if I need to do multiple coats. I want to wash my car for the first time and wax it and then wash it every week or so and wax it every 6 months. I am not sure about multiple coats, do I need multiple coats?

TSS

I know more coats look better, but trust me, the AIO that I bought (All In One) is a one step one coat process that looks phenomenal and can be applied and removed from a Lade in under 1.5 hours - top to bottom including door jams, etc. I am finicky too, BUT my truck is Silver. If it was black, and scratched, I would likely go for a multi step process.

That is why I told him to get the Z-5 because he purchased a black truck, if it was white, gold, or silver the Z-AIO would be all that would be needed, dark color need more work to keep them, looking great.

TSS

Quote Originally Posted by hcvone View Post
    That is why I told him to get the Z-5 because he purchased a black truck, if it was white, gold, or silver the Z-AIO would be all that would be needed, dark color need more work to keep them, looking great.
    Yes, I know his truck is black, which is why I used that color in my "example" of when I might go for the multi-step process. Geez Carl, what are you, an expert on this stuff or something?

p.s. By the way, for those of you who don't know, Carl really is the expert on this stuff and I owe my thanks to him for introducing me to Zaino after years of having used virtually every product on the market. Hands down, the best stuff for easy application, shine and durability.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.