Fit and Finish?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, Fit and Finish? in Cadillac Escalade Forums; I have a fairly large gap in the headliner on the driver's side above the third row of seats in ...
    dzar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac Escalade ESV

Fit and Finish?

I have a fairly large gap in the headliner on the driver's side above the third row of seats in my new '07 ESV. I can see the seam for the fabric and it's a much larger gap than on the passenger side. I'm told "this is the way it is" by my dealer's service department. Anyone else see this? It's really a bad fit job by GM if, indeed, this is the way they all are. I want data to either pursue this with the dealer or let it slide (although for a $60K+ vehicle, it should be fixed even if, indeed, they are "all like this.")

Thanks,
    Dave

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

gforceext is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Fit and Finish?

Fit and Finish??? Its an american car.

And in a world marketplace with competition. It is not unreasonable to demand an excellent product in this price range.

Playdrv4me is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V

Quote Originally Posted by gforceext View Post
    Fit and Finish??? Its an american car.
    Yes and no. I agree domestics have a unique character all their own, but they still need to be held accountable to a certain extent. If we as the customer dont do that, then we only have ourselves to blame when the product no longer meets our expectations.

Dif
    Dif is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade EXT

My guess is the liner should not be like that.
    The problem is, although the fit and finish is better on the new vehicles,.. the way these new vehicles are assembled makes it very difficult if not impossible to work on afterwards.
    Just an example:
    I asked my dealer to remove the cross slats on my roof rack since I don't use them and,.. they make it hard to remove the snow off the roof in winter.
    They told me the end retainers need to be removed in order to slide off the cross bars.
    The end retainers are plastic,.. need to be pinched to release the molded tangs but, they will most likely break trying to remove them.
    Then new ones would need to be bought, and..painted .. to replace them.
    Pretty much sucks but I'd say the dealer doesn't want to work on your headliner because it's not made to be messed with once everything's in place from the Factory.
    My thoughts for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Dif View Post
    Pretty much sucks but I'd say the dealer doesn't want to work on your headliner because it's not made to be messed with once everything's in place from the Factory.
    I agree which is why I'm asking if others see a similar issue or not. If only a few trucks have this problem, then it can be fixed (I'm not worried how hard it is at this point) but I don't like being told "they are all like that" when it seems they should not all be like that.

So, anybody take a look at their trucks and see if the headliner looks bad in the third row?

Thanks,
    Dave

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

The fit and finish on my two 07' Escalade's is better than my 06' Range Rover HSE, but that is only because my RR is pretty bad on some of the body seams, the RR paint is better but that is because GM paints their trucks with rollers.

dtana1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by dzar View Post
    I have a fairly large gap in the headliner on the driver's side above the third row of seats in my new '07 ESV. I can see the seam for the fabric and it's a much larger gap than on the passenger side. I'm told "this is the way it is" by my dealer's service department. Anyone else see this? It's really a bad fit job by GM if, indeed, this is the way they all are. I want data to either pursue this with the dealer or let it slide (although for a $60K+ vehicle, it should be fixed even if, indeed, they are "all like this.")

Thanks,
    Dave
    Hi, yes, I believe you can contact someone about this, unfortunatley i do not know at this moment, gm's webite may have a cust service link or something, I feel an explanation is owed to you in some form with such a new model.

gforceext is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

My last car was a 2004 bmw X5. The fit and finnish was ten times better then the escalade. And believe it or not the X5 pulled my boat better then the escalade.

TSS
    TSS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 Lade & 06 SRX (Gone); 2010 Enclave CXL; 2010 MKS Ecoboost

Quote Originally Posted by gforceext View Post
    My last car was a 2004 bmw X5. The fit and finnish was ten times better then the escalade. And believe it or not the X5 pulled my boat better then the escalade.
    Why did you get rid of it and/or not get another one? My business partner had a 2005 4.4 X5 before his o7 MB S550 4matic. I drove it (X5) many times . While it might have been in the same league as the 02-06 Escalades, it was no comparison to the new Escalade . Is that why you are on this forum and not BMW?

OK, update... I have a case number with Cadillac on this issue and my service manager is working with them to resolve it. I'll keep you posted.

Now, I'm a little miffed that with all the smart people around here this thread has deteriorated into comments that are, at best, tangentially related to my inquiry. Nobody has directly answered my initial question:

does anybody else have a large gap in the headliner above the third row seats.

Why is this so hard to answer?

Sigh...

Dave

Dif
    Dif is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade EXT

OK, update... I have a case number with Cadillac on this issue and my service manager is working with them to resolve it. I'll keep you posted.

Now, I'm a little miffed that with all the smart people around here this thread has deteriorated into comments that are, at best, tangentially related to my inquiry. Nobody has directly answered my initial question:

does anybody else have a large gap in the headliner above the third row seats.

Why is this so hard to answer?

Sigh...

Dave
    I'm not trying to be a wise guy here but,..
    My guess is nobody else has a gap in their headliner.
    I could be wrong but would think if anyone had a gap they would have posted or, maybe they just don't care if they do have a gap.
    Just my thoughts and hope you get it resolved without too much BS.

I would see if your dealer or another dealer has ESV's on the lot for you to look at and see how they look?
    Especially if "your" dealer has any ESV's and the headliners don't have a gap like your headliner

JetflyerJ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 07 ESV

I agree which is why I'm asking if others see a similar issue or not. If only a few trucks have this problem, then it can be fixed (I'm not worried how hard it is at this point) but I don't like being told "they are all like that" when it seems they should not all be like that.

So, anybody take a look at their trucks and see if the headliner looks bad in the third row?

Thanks,
    Dave

Dave,

Could you post a picture of what you're talking about (if you don't mind that is) and I'll do the same so we can compare, that way if my ESV is not like that you can show the dealer what your problem is.

Regards.

TSS
    TSS is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 07 Lade & 06 SRX (Gone); 2010 Enclave CXL; 2010 MKS Ecoboost

Now, I'm a little miffed that with all the smart people around here this thread has deteriorated into comments that are, at best, tangentially related to my inquiry.

Sigh...

Dave
    I have to disagree. My post was not even, at best, tangentially related to you legitimate initial inquiry. Sorry. Sometimes we get a little off track. Sometimes a lot off track. Good luck.

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by TSS View Post
    I have to disagree. My post was not even, at best, tangentially related to you legitimate initial inquiry. Sorry. Sometimes we get a little off track. Sometimes a lot off track. Good luck.

Todd
    Aw, shucks... thanks for finding the humor in my late-night jab.

Here is a (poor) photo of the headliner. Notice the large gap and the seam, especially near the window. The opposite side looks fine (no gap, and no visible seam). I'll try to get a better photo in the daylight... crappy cell phone cameras!

Thanks for looking.

Dave
    Attached Images

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.