2007 Escalade Wind Noise Total Fix from the Corporation!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 2007-2014 Discussion, 2007 Escalade Wind Noise Total Fix from the Corporation! in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Gentlemen: Steve, the bass player at my church, is a noise engineer at the GM Proving Grounds in Milford, Michigan ...
    BWatkins is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2007 Escalade Wind Noise Total Fix from the Corporation!

Gentlemen:

Steve, the bass player at my church, is a noise engineer at the GM Proving Grounds in Milford, Michigan where the Escalade was engineered. He told people and the job about the wind noise problem I had at the driver's side door. Lo and behold, the wind noise engineer (Michelle) who worked on the GMT series trucks invited me to the Proving Grounds for a total fix of the problema and a tour.

The actual problem is this:

The door is not aligned correctly and it allows wind inside the cabin. period.
    The fix is to realign the door so that it closes properly. It's not the mirror.

Also: My vehicle was assembled in Arlington, TX. Michelle at the proving grounds said that at one point, the robots that lay in the windsheild were not working. So, the glass was installed by humans.

There is a slight dip in my glass on the passenger side that can cause noise. She says that if I want it replaced free of charge, I can tell the dealer, ANY DEALER!, to do it and it must be done. Period. She even gave me her number so that if any dealers gave me problems, she'd "inform" them of the situation.

I don't actually hear the noise that she's talking about, but if I do, I'm darn sure gonna have the dealer replace my windshield.

Lastly, all dealers should know about the fix at this point. So don't let them play you cheap.

The tour of the Proving Grounds was a blast. +100 mph on an oval test track is something to see! GM wins with me this time!

Gotta love living in Detroit.

Questions? reply in the thread.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

caddycruiser is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '93 Fleetwood Brougham...Dad's

Re: 2007 Escalade Wind Noise Total Fix from the Corporation!

Very cool! Both an informative answer from the people who actually did the design, and some fun.

urbanski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 05 CTS-V

awesome story!

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

My dealers service manager told me it was a door problem as well, my 07's do not make noise like some of the 07's I have been in. Good post.

Dif
    Dif is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade EXT

I had extensive things done to mine trying to rid the wind noise and it didn't help a real lot until they finally aligned my doors.
    Definitely more enjoyable now and not so much an issue.
    At least 90% of the wind noise is gone.
    It's not totaly quiet and don't think it will be simply because the noise now, is outside air rushing around and not from air entering the cabin.
    I just wonder if it's even something that can be fixed to the point where it's totaly quiet like one would expect.

Jesda is offline Super Moderator
    Automobile(s): An endless stream of Sevilles.

Thats a hell of a story! Sounds like you had a good time.

Kickboxer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Did the door align myself and it helped big time.

I'd like to hear more about the dip in the glass and the area that they said it was.

The dip in the glass is at the top where it meets the roof at the weatherstripping. If you hold a credit card on the glass and the roof, it should be level. On my passenger side, I can rock the credit card back and forth. That means that it's set in too far! Check it out and let me know what you think

bdquail@aol.com is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Angry Re: 2007 Escalade Wind Noise Total Fix from the Corporation!

I have a brand new '07 Cadillad EXT Escalade. It has the most wind noise of any car I have ever owned, even more than some convertibles, with the top down! I have owned about 80 cars!

I put electrical tape over the fairing that surrounds the right rear door, and that helped a lot. Of course I can't leave it on, and there is still noise coming from other areas! Help! Bob.

Dif
    Dif is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade EXT

Quote Originally Posted by bdquail@aol.com View Post
    I have a brand new '07 Cadillad EXT Escalade. It has the most wind noise of any car I have ever owned, even more than some convertibles, with the top down! I have owned about 80 cars!

I put electrical tape over the fairing that surrounds the right rear door, and that helped a lot. Of course I can't leave it on, and there is still noise coming from other areas! Help! Bob.
    When you say fairing , do you mean the window trim on the outside of the window?
    The big plastic thingy?
    If you do a search for 07 wind noise you will find a real lot of posts on this.
    Even on the Avalanche Forum they all have the same problem and Lots of posts with not much results either.
    Lots of info and lots of fixes and bulletins from GM.
    None that I've seen work totally but you also need to go to your dealer and let them know.
    It goes on and on but mirrors and door alignment is a start and let them know there are Bulletins from GM.
    On this subject,.. since i had my doors aligned it is a lot better but the odd thing that happens is..
    I took a 250 mile trip this weekend and the wind noise was noticeable as the doors alignment doesn't.. in my case anyway.. totally stop all the noise but...
    we stopped to eat and once back on the road the noise was barely noticable as compared to the first part of the trip.
    Someone else mentioned the same thing happening to them.
    Just an odd thing that happens for who knows what reason.
    Another mystery to the wind noise..

pecks_escalade is offline Cadillac Owners Member

HI, This Total Fix is it TRUE? because my service manager does not know about this and Cadillac does not know about this... Is there any hard facts about this? I spoke to cadillac on ths phone and explained to them about the wind noise problem and the total fix.. they thought i was crazy.... Someon please get back to me...

I'm the guy! The problem is with the driver door and the windshield. Have your dealer call and get the fix! I do not have a TSB number, but if they play crazy with you call caddy customer service or seek out a new dealer. I assure you, this fix totally eliminated the wind noise problem. If you want send me a PM and I'll give you my phone number so that we can talk. I also had (or have somewhere) the ph# of the GM engineer that helped me.

hcvone is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTSV Coupe , 2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX

I have talked to two different service managers and they no nothing about any fix, one called their area manager and he knew nothing about it either. My dealer will do anything I asked them to do, but my two 07's have a very minor wind noise, don't want to make it worse.

sj1400 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 07 ESV

HCVONE,

My dealer said the exact same thing on visit 3 regarding wind noise. They didn't want mess with the door alignment again in fear of making the noise worse. I feel it's improved but still unacceptable when it's very windy. With the radio off in certain windy situations I can hear a sligh whistle.

Much better then when the vehicle was new but still room for improvement. According to my dealer i'm not the only one that has requested a permanent fix.

Krug Ford is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Alot of it is depending on who you know.

I am glad it is fixed for you.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.