ESV Off-road Performance / Opinions
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, ESV Off-road Performance / Opinions in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Does anybody have any experience with the ESV Off-Road? How did it perform? Pros & Cons? I'm particulary interested in ...
    LanceK is offline Cadillac Owners Member

ESV Off-road Performance / Opinions

Does anybody have any experience with the ESV Off-Road?

How did it perform? Pros & Cons?

I'm particulary interested in sandy applications.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Brett is offline Watching the Watchers
    I'd be surprised if anyone took an ESV off-road, including Cadillac. That being said, the performance should be similar to a suburban

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Isn't the ESV AWD instead of 4WD?
    If so, I must admit I DO like AWD better. My wife's Denali has AWD and it definately is superior to any of the 4WD trucks we've had in the last few years.
    That said, I agree with Brett. The chances of anybody taking one off-road is slim.

LanceK is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Yeah I didn't expect to hear from a lot of people with off-road experience?

I'm wondering how the AWD was compared to the 4WD in terms of off-road performance?

My Denali w/AWD is WAY BETTER than the last few 4WD trucks I had with the one possible exception of the lack of a "LOW-LOCK" position. For ULTIMATE traction, I prefer to have a LOW-LOCK gear. Other than that, the overall off-road ability seems to be better with the AWD.

Devil_concours is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    It may be a very good performer but it doesn't have much ground clearence compared to other suv/trucks with 4X4 pacakage.

You're right about that. I would never pretend that ANY of these "full-size" SUV's are really serious off-roaders. I do however like the look of that new Jeep Rubicon though

03EscaladeAWD is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    I have a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Boy, do I hate that thing. 180 hp and slips in the snow more than I thought. In the blizzard of 2000 when we had a 98 Jeep Wrangler, we couldnt get out of the driveway before we were stuck. Another time, goin about 20 mph in slush we fishtailed. Actually twice. If your looking for wintry off-road, I dont think a Jeep would be the best. AWD with Traction Control is better. Jeeps are for mud.

Actually, any 4WD or even AWD is only mediocre at best in snow unless you put the "proper" tires on it.
    Many customers have come to me complaining about how their 4WD sucks in the snow, and I always notice that they have the OEM or some other "All-Season" tire on it. Unfortunately, All-Season tires leave much to be desired when it comes to mud/snow traction.

Cadillac 99 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Escalade, 2005, Srx V8, 2011 Cts

Re: ESV Off-road Performance / Opinions

I have actually taken my 2004 Escalade off road. Not babying it, real serious off roading. The AWD is great. I have the regular short version, not the ESV or The truck. The performance on these are better than any truck of other SUV I have ever driven off road and on the road. Nothing can beat it in my opinion.

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Try driving on solid ice for the first time I never had a problem in my lade and yes it is the base lade(not esv or ext)with the awd I love it ran in the snow like a champ can't say that about a ford or dodge.

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by 03EscaladeAWD View Post
    I have a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Boy, do I hate that thing. 180 hp and slips in the snow more than I thought. In the blizzard of 2000 when we had a 98 Jeep Wrangler, we couldnt get out of the driveway before we were stuck. Another time, goin about 20 mph in slush we fishtailed. Actually twice. If your looking for wintry off-road, I dont think a Jeep would be the best. AWD with Traction Control is better. Jeeps are for mud.
    Which level of 4WD did you have?

I shopped for GCs at one point and learned there are three levels of 4WD. I believe it was Select Trak II that was the true 4wd.

Most people I've come across don't realize that the majority of 4wd vehicles on the road are not really 4wd. They're open differentials front and rear, meaning that only one front and one rear wheel actually provide power to the ground.

My first 4WD vehicle was a Trailblazer, it came stock with open differentials front and rear. There wasn't anything I could do with the front as it had a cheap non-standard differential that nobody made aftermarket parts for. The rear was a standard 8.5" GM though and I did put a G80 mechanical locker in it. It was a night and day difference the second winter I owned the vehicle with the new rear differential.

I'm new to the Escalade world so I haven't experienced a real winter with it yet, but I was very disappointed to learn that GM's top of the line luxury SUV didn't come with some type of LSD or locker as standard equipment.

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by wake

Which level of 4WD did you have?

I shopped for GCs at one point and learned there are three levels of 4WD. I believe it was Select Trak II that was the true 4wd.

Most people I've come across don't realize that the majority of 4wd vehicles on the road are not really 4wd. They're open differentials front and rear, meaning that only one front and one rear wheel actually provide power to the ground.

My first 4WD vehicle was a Trailblazer, it came stock with open differentials front and rear. There wasn't anything I could do with the front as it had a cheap non-standard differential that nobody made aftermarket parts for. The rear was a standard 8.5" GM though and I did put a G80 mechanical locker in it. It was a night and day difference the second winter I owned the vehicle with the new rear differential.

I'm new to the Escalade world so I haven't experienced a real winter with it yet, but I was very disappointed to learn that GM's top of the line luxury SUV didn't come with some type of LSD or locker as standard equipment.
    You only get a locking rear diff in the hummer h2's or h3's
    I guess they don't think those of us that own these high class caddies take them off road.

I do know mine has a LSD in the rear idk about the front there are sites where you can run the rpo codes or call a dealer and have them run your Vin and you can find out.

Igor_ is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Escalade II

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    I guess they don't think those of us that own these high class caddies take them off road.
    I agree fully with you.
    Esc appointed for comfort driving on road, snow, dirt road. There are many another trucks for off-road.

justin mazzon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 escalade

Cadillac 99
    I have taken my escalade on some easier trails and its done great. How rough of trails have you been on: light rock, steep dirt hills, wet grass, rutted,etc...? I think I could keep up with most stock 4x4 but don't want to get struck so your experience probably proves the escalade is very off road capable. I leveled mine 2" front and rear, ride
    is a little harder but the under body has 14" ground clearance and axle 9.5" better than a jeep!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.