ESV Off-road Performance / Opinions - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, ESV Off-road Performance / Opinions in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Originally Posted by the cadillac man You only get a locking rear diff in the hummer h2's or h3's I ...
    wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Re: ESV Off-road Performance / Opinions

Quote Originally Posted by the cadillac man View Post
    You only get a locking rear diff in the hummer h2's or h3's
    I guess they don't think those of us that own these high class caddies take them off road.

I do know mine has a LSD in the rear idk about the front there are sites where you can run the rpo codes or call a dealer and have them run your Vin and you can find out.
    Not only the Hummers. From what I remember the G80 locker rear was an option on the Denali which is essentially an Escalade in different clothing. I thought some Escalades had it as an orderable option as well.

It's a safe bet that most won't see any off road conditions heavier than a dirt driveway. I remember living in the L.A. area and saw 4wd Jeeps with, "Mall Rated" stickers on them above a silouhette of a jeep with it's front wheel on the parking curb. LOL. One of my coworkers who kept his vehicles long term told me he had his truck in 4wd one time in 14 years of owning it. He didn't know if it even worked anymore since it had been about that much time since it was last engaged.

My Trailblazer had a big increase in off road capability with the G80 I added to it, if I understood the stability system (active braking system) a little better I'd attempt a transplant into the Escalade as well.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac 99 View Post
    I have actually taken my 2004 Escalade off road. Not babying it, real serious off roading. The AWD is great. I have the regular short version, not the ESV or The truck. The performance on these are better than any truck of other SUV I have ever driven off road and on the road. Nothing can beat it in my opinion.
    Out of curiousity, do you have the locking rear differential (G80 RPO)?

Also, how did it behave in low traction conditions like dirt and mud? Stability/Traction control on or off?

the cadillac man is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 03 cadillac escalade
    Quote Originally Posted by wake

Not only the Hummers. From what I remember the G80 locker rear was an option on the Denali which is essentially an Escalade in different clothing. I thought some Escalades had it as an orderable option as well.

It's a safe bet that most won't see any off road conditions heavier than a dirt driveway. I remember living in the L.A. area and saw 4wd Jeeps with, "Mall Rated" stickers on them above a silouhette of a jeep with it's front wheel on the parking curb. LOL. One of my coworkers who kept his vehicles long term told me he had his truck in 4wd one time in 14 years of owning it. He didn't know if it even worked anymore since it had been about that much time since it was last engaged.

My Trailblazer had a big increase in off road capability with the G80 I added to it, if I understood the stability system (active braking system) a little better I'd attempt a transplant into the Escalade as well.

----------

Out of curiousity, do you have the locking rear differential (G80 RPO)?

Also, how did it behave in low traction conditions like dirt and mud? Stability/Traction control on or off?
    I have had my truck in both dirt and mud dirt it don't matter the speed mud you have make sure you keep your momentum unless you want to break a wheel free of traction but that was with my old tires I haven't tried mud yet with my new tires.

filabob1 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2004 Cadillac Escalade ESV

I have an 03 esv, and have taken it off road a few times. The way I look at is, its still a SUV. So I am going to use it that way. The only down side is the long wheel base, so going on steeper inclines or really rocky trails is not adviseable. However I do plan on lifting it this summer, maybe a four inch. I'll let you guys know how that goes. Another reason for the lift is because I want to go back to 22's with some larger profile tires. And tires do make all the difference in the world. My last set of 4WD tires were the NITTO TERRA GRAPPLERS, awesome set. I will be going with those once again. I currently have 20's with GENERAL GRABBERS and they're ok but the Grapplers are more aggresive.

smelly$cat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 ESV

I think the G80 RPO code is just a limited slip diff. I have a 2wd suburban with the G80 RPO code written in the glove box. When in snow, when one wheel starts to spin, the other side kicks in and both wheels spin and typically give better traction. My suburban is a 05. It actually has a suspension and body lift and 37" BFG Mud terrains on it. Kind of corny since it's a 2wd, but, I just had it out on some snowy dirt trails this past weekend and it went everywhere! Even up some fairly steep hills that I didn't think it would make it up. I just keep my foot lightly on the gas and it fishtailed it's way up the trail. Pretty fun actually.

Quote Originally Posted by smelly$cat
    I think the G80 RPO code is just a limited slip diff. I have a 2wd suburban with the G80 RPO code written in the glove box. When in snow, when one wheel starts to spin, the other side kicks in and both wheels spin and typically give better traction. My suburban is a 05. It actually has a suspension and body lift and 37" BFG Mud terrains on it. Kind of corny since it's a 2wd, but, I just had it out on some snowy dirt trails this past weekend and it went everywhere! Even up some fairly steep hills that I didn't think it would make it up. I just keep my foot lightly on the gas and it fishtailed it's way up the trail. Pretty fun actually.
    I have experienced this in a older ford explorer it is fun to fishtail the rear end around just be aware of trees(not even thinking of trying this in my truck)

smelly$cat is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 ESV

Good point Fortunately, in the part of Idaho I live, there are not too many trees

Quote Originally Posted by smelly$cat
    Good point Fortunately, in the part of Idaho I live, there are not too many trees
    Lucky
    I live in the woods but it has it pros

justin mazzon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 escalade

Quote Originally Posted by filabob1 View Post
    I have an 03 esv, and have taken it off road a few times. The way I look at is, its still a SUV. So I am going to use it that way. The only down side is the long wheel base, so going on steeper inclines or really rocky trails is not adviseable. However I do plan on lifting it this summer, maybe a four inch. I'll let you guys know how that goes. Another reason for the lift is because I want to go back to 22's with some larger profile tires. And tires do make all the difference in the world. My last set of 4WD tires were the NITTO TERRA GRAPPLERS, awesome set. I will be going with those once again. I currently have 20's with GENERAL GRABBERS and they're ok but the Grapplers are more aggresive.
    I have an 05 with 275 Goodyear Silent Armour tires and it goes anywhere on easy/moderate dirt terrain. Was wondering if you think I could take it on moderately rough roads (off road books use 3 classifications: Easy, Moderate (low range recommend) difficult) or sense I don't have a low range, would I be taking a high risk of getting stuck? Have a 2" lift with better ground clearance than a 4x4 jeep.

Quote Originally Posted by justin mazzon

I have an 05 with 275 Goodyear Silent Armour tires and it goes anywhere on easy/moderate dirt terrain. Was wondering if you think I could take it on moderately rough roads (off road books use 3 classifications: Easy, Moderate (low range recommend) difficult) or sense I don't have a low range, would I be taking a high risk of getting stuck? Have a 2" lift with better ground clearance than a 4x4 jeep.
    If you have the all wheel drive it would be ok(I have Goodyear tires on my truck

Yes it's AWD. I have noticed I can keep up with most stock 4x4 unless they switch to low range. At some point I might add a TrucTrac LSD which I have heard should add a lot to rear end traction.

wake is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS-V, 2005 Escalade

Quote Originally Posted by smelly$cat View Post
    The G80 is an actual mechanical locker. It uses centrifigal force to engage the locking mechanicsm then releases once you get moving again. Youtube has several videos that show you how it works.

It was quite nice in the dirt and mud but could be a little scary on ice.

Quote Originally Posted by wake

The G80 is an actual mechanical locker. It uses centrifigal force to engage the locking mechanicsm then releases once you get moving again. Youtube has several videos that show you how it works.

It was quite nice in the dirt and mud but could be a little scary on ice.
    Good to know as ice can be tricky to drive on but I have drove on ice before in my truck with no problem(I drop it in second to prevent any wheel slip just have to be careful with the brakes)

The road was covered with a solid layer of ice not just a patch here and there(I know I am a bit of a daredevil)and was close to a ditch almost big enough to drive my truck in

chacho44 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): escalade esv

Quote Originally Posted by filabob1 View Post
    I'm thinking of 2" lift with 33's on my factory 20's on my 03esv

Quote Originally Posted by chacho44 View Post
    I'm thinking of 2" lift with 33's on my factory 20's on my 03esv
    I didn't know you could run 33's without a lift.
    Let me know when you get the 2" lift. Some people have said the ride is a little stiff. Would like your input.

chacho44 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): escalade esv

Quote Originally Posted by justin mazzon View Post
    I didn't know you could run 33's without a lift.
    Let me know when you get the 2" lift. Some people have said the ride is a little stiff. Would like your input.
    I have ran 33's nitto mud grapplers on my old 00yukon with no lift. Front rubbed of course but I did some clean cutting on the plastics it was rubbing on. Ride didn't seem that bad just a big difference from stock tires. I would actually slap 33's on the esv but idk what all would have to be cut in front, I do t wanna hack my truck up. I figure a 2" lift would set it at where I want it, I didn't know about the stiffer ride it can have from the lift though.

----------

I'd post a pic of my yukon on 33"grapplers w/ no lift but its not letting me.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.