Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Just dropped $20K into my '06 EXT

6K views 57 replies 31 participants last post by  srt 
#1 · (Edited)
A couple months ago I went to the dealer to look for an '07 EXT. Of course, they just came out and I couldn't get my hands on one that day. They had a new "06 that was my color combination (black/cream) and they were willing to give me a screaming deal ($10K off sticker). My impatience got the best of me and I drove it home.

I couldn't let the new ride sit in stock format so I underwent an overhaul that put me out about $20K. Included in the list of goodies:

24" TIS 01 Wheels with Nitto 305/35/24 tires
Baer Big Brake kit including 14 inch rotors and nice big red calipers.
Custom exhaust with JBA headers, High flow cats, flowmaster muffler, quad tips
McGaughy's 2/3 lowering kit
Volant cold air intake
E&G Grill
Cobra remote alarm system
Tinted window and Chrome goodies.

The outcome looks great! Now I'm considering up upgrading to 26" wheels if I can find a buyer for my 24's? Yes, I'm an impulsive buyer! Great buy for an interested party? Let me know.

When it is all said and done, I will probably drive it for a while and end up trading it in for an "07. Just think of the money I would have saved if I could have waited a few months! Please just don't tell my wife!

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Going to the 26in wheel option will probably buy me time to see some improvement on the pricing and availabilty for the '07. Besides, I want time to allow any new bugs to be worked out on the new model.

BTW, the "wifey" thinks I'm just looking at my business email!

#11 ·
I know, sounds pretty insane. Doesn't it? I might be a little high in my calculations but not by much. I had a few other cosmetic things done to the EXT like having the paint professionally color sanded and custom floor mats made that I didn't add to the list. The custom built exhaust system alone cost me $4500!

I don't want to excuse myself for going a little over the top. I love cars and always use the best materials and best labor available. I pay for that!! I don't cut corners.

I bought the EXT simply to have a driver because I just purchased a new $110K (ouch!) Porsche C4s Cab and didn't want to put the miles on it going to/from work/airport. With only 1000 miles on the Porsche I am already looking at what's next! (and yes, my wife thinks I'm crazy) I call it living my passion! I work hard for it!

#22 · (Edited)
Okay - here's the story why my exhaust cost me $4500. I started by putting on the Borla Cat back ($1500). I then took the EXT in to get lowered and the pipes hit on the rear differential. Bummer! Some people would live with that but I couldn't. I took it into Royal Muffler (awesome custom shop!) and explored my options. The right way was to have the pipes refabricated from the muffler back. (dual exhaust) Since I was having that work done I decided to have him upgrade to 2.50" aluminized tubing (from 2.25") and install JBA headers and high flow cats. I also had him fabricate custom dual chrome tips coming out both sides of the EXT. I baiscally had the entire exhaust rebuilt with the exception of the Borla muffler. (add $2700) After driving it for a couple weeks I was not happy with the loud droaning sound inside the cab. It was driving me nuts. I went back to Royal Muffler and asked Jimmy for his recommendation and he suggested removing the Borla muffler and going with the Flowmaster 80 series. He charged me ($300) to install it. When all done my cost was $4,500 for the exhaust. Yes, I threw away the $1500 Borla Cat Back in the end. Lesson learned. I wish I would have found Royal Muffler to start with. The exhaust is one of a kind and killer! It's all comes down to what you are willing to spend for the outcome you desire.

#27 ·
This is going to be cool. I am going to keep my eye on this thread just to see what is next. Haha! You are definitely going to throw some more money somewhere into this EXT, unless we get to see it all over again when you purchase the 07 EXT, which we all know will eventually happen. Haha! Great looking EXT. I am thoroughly impressed.

Thanks.

#29 ·
man it sounds like you might be paying premium for everything because your money is no object kind of attitude. Id go into knowing that i could afford anything i wanted, but play the game a little just to see what kind of deal you can get- thats all part of the fun. But it sounds like your time is worth quite a bit more than mine so maybe getting in and out is your cheapest option : ) i like your rig though, minus the chrome gas cover.

#32 ·
I don't want to come across like money is no object. Yes, I have been blessed financially but I work hard for it. I like to get a good deal like the rest. I have simply found that for the most part, you get what you pay for. I am not looking to save a few bucks to have someone cut corners. Everyone has a profit target they want to make and they are going to get it out of you somewhere. Yes, my time is worth something and honestly, I play with cars for the sport of it. Thanks for your comments!

#31 ·
I like everything except the chrome gas cover.

Im shocked you paid $20,000 for just basic upgrades though. For 20,000 you could have customized the whole interior and installed a bumpin sound system.

I dont know.......I like it though....but I would be pissed off if I was you.

#34 ·
First I want to thank everyone for their comments. Part of the fun of having a nice ride is having a forum like this to share it with other enthusiasts.

I know $20K seems like a lot to spend. It is! I probably paid premium for some things but that was my choice. I either wanted premium parts or premium labor. It came down to that. When you break down what I got you have a better appreciation how fast $20K can be spent:

24 " Tires and Wheels - $6000
Custom exhaust, cats and headers - $4500
Baer Big Brakes - $3500
Lowering - $1000
Billet Grill - $1000
Cold Air Intake - $300
Chrome parts - $500
Front stabilizer - $250
Window tint - $300
Alarm system - $1250
Floor mats - $300
Paint color sanding - $400

#40 ·
Everybody relax about how much he spent.

Rzundel, I would throw them on eBay. List it with a high "Buy It Now" price and put a No Reserve price at $3,850. High Buy it Now price as in $5,500. And state that you paid $6,000 for them. Scan some receipts and put them on the ad as well. That will help sell them quickly. And also put "New" (Not brand new) in the title of the ebay ad, then re-state in the ad description that they are practically new with only 2,000 miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.