wierd sound coming from the exhaust
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, wierd sound coming from the exhaust in Cadillac Escalade Forums; sometimes i hear a weird sound coming from the back of my car when i accelerate it gets louder, it ...
    CAD-E! is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac Escalade (sold) 2011 radiant silver CTS-V

wierd sound coming from the exhaust

sometimes i hear a weird sound coming from the back of my car when i accelerate it gets louder, it seems like it only happens when im driving at a certain place thats really windy like tall buildings or on a overpass thats pretty high. i was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Machine is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: wierd sound coming from the exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by CAD-E!
    sometimes i hear a weird sound coming from the back of my car when i accelerate it gets louder, it seems like it only happens when im driving at a certain place thats really windy like tall buildings or on a overpass thats pretty high. i was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Our 01' GMC Yukon used to have a flap in the rear wheel-well that would slap against the truck (sounded like a machine gun) when the wind would hit it just right. What year is your Escalade, because 02's and above don't have this little flap.

CAD-E! is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac Escalade (sold) 2011 radiant silver CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Machine
    Our 01' GMC Yukon used to have a flap in the rear wheel-well that would slap against the truck (sounded like a machine gun) when the wind would hit it just right. What year is your Escalade, because 02's and above don't have this little flap.
    i have a 03 and it does kinda sound like its something flapping, when i accelerate it sounds like its flapping even faster. like you said its like a machine gun.

MEJIA is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Subject:
    Exhaust/Muffler Heat Shield Rattle, Popping Noise Under Vehicle
    (Install Heat Shield Retaining Straps On Muffler)

Models:
    2002-2003 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
    2000-2003 Chevrolet Silverado, Suburban
    2002-2003 Chevrolet Avalanche
    2000-2003 GMC Denali, Denali XL, Sierra, Yukon XL
    2003 HUMMER H2
    with 5.3L or 6.0L Gas Engine (VINS T, N, U - RPOS LM7, LQ9, L04)
    Except 1500 Series Models

This bulletin is being revised to add RPO L04 to the Models information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin 02-06-05-005A (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition

Some customers may comment on a rattle/popping noise from under the vehicle.

Cause

The separation of the muffler heat shield from the muffler may cause a rattle under the vehicle.

Correction

Install two heat shield retaining straps, P/N 15164621, to the muffler and muffler heat shield. Follow the service procedure below to correct this concern.
    1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle (SI Document ID # 737171).

2. Install a retaining strap, P/N 15164621, around the front of the muffler and muffler heat shield as shown above.

3. Pull the retaining strap tight with one hand and tighten the Allen head screw with the other hand.

Tighten

Tighten the Allen head screw on the retaining strap to 13.5 Nm (119 lb in).

4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 on the rear of the muffler

5. Lower the vehicle.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.