McGaughy's 2/3 drop deluxe Lowering Kit on my ESV pics!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, McGaughy's 2/3 drop deluxe Lowering Kit on my ESV pics! in Cadillac Escalade Forums; Dropped it down to where it sits nice and level now. You can BARELY feel any difference in the ride ...
    SUX2BU is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Diamond White ESV

McGaughy's 2/3 drop deluxe Lowering Kit on my ESV pics!

Dropped it down to where it sits nice and level now. You can BARELY feel any difference in the ride but it takes corners HELLA better! And its easier to get in and out of.
    I used the McGaughy's 2/3 drop deluxe Lowering Kit because I didn't want to use the drop keys on the front. It is cheaper but the way that kit lowers the front is to camber in the tires and i HATE the way trucks look with the tires cambered in to lower it.
    I was doing some searching around and it seems that the price on this kit shot up about $120 about two months ago (from $380 to $500) But i lucked out and found a place still selling it for $380. They aren't a sponser on here so i won't mention ther website but if you keep Googling you'll find it. IMO the spindle kit is the ONLY way to drop the front.
    The rear took me about an hour and a half just because of having to bend those little air ride thingy's. As you can see i snapped both of them. The first snapped right away. On the second i was ALOT more carefull but it still only bent half way then it snapped. Luckily i have a welder so i lined them up and welded them back together.
    On the front the first side took me THREE HOURS!!!! The main thing was i couldn't for the life of me get the damn lower ball joint to come off. The spindle is set up where you really can't get to it with a regular pitman arm/ ball joint puller. I FINALLY got it out using a BIG ASS 7 ton two jaw puller, one arm on the shortest setting andthe other on the longest.
    The second side only took me an hour now that i knew how to get the ball joints loose.
    I still havent taken it to get an alignment but to tell you the truth it drives EXACTLY the same. both wheels look to be alighen good and it doesn't pull at all on the highway. But i'm still gona take it in just to be on the safe side.
    A few tips that weren't really included in the instructions.
    On the rear FIRST thing to do is take off the air ride little rods (if you drop the rear end wiuth them still on it could rip the sensor off).
    On the front first thing to do after you take off the wheel lug cover is loosen the CV axle nut while the car is still on the ground (so your not spinning the wheels). By the way that nut is a BIG 1 3/8" socket.
    BEFORE PICS

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: McGaughy's 2/3 drop deluxe Lowering Kit on my ESV pics!

AFTER PICS

DURING PICS

I bought this kit because it is the only kit that comes with spindles. Another plus is that it also came with shock extenders so your shocks aren't squished to ride 3" more compressed in the back.
    One thing i didn't like that they should do is include some air ride "rod thingy" sensor extenders like the Ground Force kit so you don't have to break the rod thingy's by trying to bend them.

jrs05caddyext is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Escalade

Thanks for the pictures. Looks real good

fast66 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Escalade EXT

Yeah thanks for the pics, will help when I install my kit

DLE
    DLE is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 Escalade/ 04 Escalade EXT

wow, it sure makes your truck looks great! Good job, and yes, thanks for sharing the pics.

no prob guys.

tc3
    tc3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 02 Escalade

What's the best way to bend the rods? Vice? It sounds like there was no way to avoid breaking them?!?!
    Great write up too!! Thx

Nasty Black Lac is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 Cadillac AWD

did you grind your tie rod so your stock wheels fit? I thought I remembered something about having to grind the nut on the tie rod so the stockers wouldn't interfere with it....

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty Black Lac View Post
    did you grind your tie rod so your stock wheels fit? I thought I remembered something about having to grind the nut on the tie rod so the stockers wouldn't interfere with it....
    You have to cut flush the excess bolt on the upper ball joint so it will clear the CV axles and the excess bolt on the bottom ball joint to bolt on the stock 17's.
    I cut the bolts flush with the nuts and it cleared fine. BUT when i turned the wheel while backing out of the driveway the left wheel rubbed on the lower ball joint. So i pulled the wheel and took the grinder to it. Problem solved.
    One thing though the steering feels a litle wierd when i turn the wheel ALL the way to either side. I'll check it to make sure its not hitting something tomorrow.

tc3
    tc3 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Any chance u can share where u bought urs from. It's the McGaughys delexe?
    Any chance it's still avail for that price?
    thx

Bagmo16 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Nice pics, thought I was looking at a project Lade in Truckin' .....what exactly where the parts that broke when you tried to bend them?

PhatBoy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I did the same kit on my 03 Denali [same parts].
    It took some considerable grinding to get the wheels not to rub, almost to the point where I was worried about long term issue for the lower joint. Althouhg I ran it for 2 years with absolutley no problems!

The sensor arm is the "bridge" betwee nthe Suspension/Chassis and the Truck body. Wehn the vehicle it under load the rear will go down so much the the autoride air suspension kicks in to level the rear up. If you do not adjust the sensor arms then when the lowering kit goes on the rear the sensor continually pumps the rear suspenion up to the original level. Bneding the arms tricks the sensors into thinking it is at the right level.
    I basically put mine in a vice nad gently hit it with a heavy[ish] hammer. I did not have to heat it at all and after some GENTLE hits it bent over to the correct angle. Take it slow!!

Bagmo16 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Thanks for the technical explanation.....nice first post aswell ....was the grinding required because of your Rim size or is it required on all applications? Also as I read about lowering, there seems to be two schools on the front end....the spindle or the control arm or a combination of both....And what about the rear?

Thanks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.