Service Engine Soon - O2 Sensor
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Escalade, EXT and ESV Forum - 1999 - 2006 Discussion, Service Engine Soon - O2 Sensor in Cadillac Escalade Forums; All of a sudden at about a half-tank of gas, our '99 Escalade's SERVICE ENGINE SOON light illuminated steady and ...
    Partiers_com is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Exclamation Service Engine Soon - O2 Sensor

All of a sudden at about a half-tank of gas, our '99 Escalade's SERVICE ENGINE SOON light illuminated steady and we ran a diagnostic test that indicated oxygen sensor bank 2 sensor 2 and something with a number 161. The light was reset and hasn't turned on again yet.

Could this be due to one or more of the following?
    1) Cheap, low octane gas was used to fill the entire tank
    2) The truck has been sitting for a very long period of time and now just driven
    3) The sensor needs replaced or the emission system needs checked

We do believe that a full tank of low octane gas was used the first time this truck had been driven in a very long time. At half-tank, the light illuminated.

We thought it might be a good idea to fill up from half tank to full tank with 94 octane.

Any thoughts or suggestions?? What do we do if the light comes on again??

We found an interesting article here: http://www.asashop.org/autoinc/june2002/techtips.cfm

Thanks!
    Kevin

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

99 SKALAID is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Service Engine Soon - O2 Sensor

how did you find out what the code is for?? i need to do it to mine:rolleyes2
    my service engine soon light has been on for about 2 weeks now
    i need to figure out for what.

i just replaced all 4 oxygen sensors though before this

they were like 120 each from the dealer

Partiers_com is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Service Engine Soon - O2 Sensor

What made you replace all the O2 sensors? Was your Service Engine Soon lamp on too?
    I'm hoping I don't have to do that.
    Did you replace them yourself or did you have the dealership do it?

The fellas at CarConnection1.com set me up pretty good and ran the test for me with the machine they have and diagnosed the problem and reset the lamp. We think it's either bad gas, the truck hasn't been driven in a long time or maybe the sensor went bad or the catalytic converter is going bad? Could it just be bad gas?!?!

Will you get charged to have the diagnostic ran for the '99 Escalade? We also have a '95 Ford Explorer and the Ford dealership charges like $70 just to run the test. It's ridiculous.

I'm curious why your light is on. It's a horrible feeling when that light is on because it doesn't tell you much except that there's a potential problem.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.